1,2 TSI - Cam-chain Help me make sense of the information/situation please

JGO

Hi,

I am not new to this great forum but could not re-activate my old user credentials, no matter how hard I tried. So I am returning with new credentials, trusting that is acceptable :blush

Please be so kind help me understand how worried I should be, and what to do. I have spend quite some time reading and trying to make sense of all the information about the cam-chain issue of the early 1,2 TSI's, but am a bit overwhelmed.

My situation:

• Fabia 1,2 TSI form 2011
  • Developed the chain noise issue and got repair in 2014 (@ 13836 km)
  • Following main P/N's were installed (beside new oil/filter, sealant etc), part-description are my translations:
    03F 198229 A "Repair set"
    03F 109509 C "Chain guide"
    03F 109406 C "Chain guide"
    03F 109571 C "tooth wheel"
    N 902562 02 "Screw"
  • Now at about 35000km, everytime at engine start, when it was not operated for some hours, the cam-chain noise is there quite pronounced for some seconds (1-5 sec)
  • After that, the engine runs quite and smoothly, only the ticking noise from the high pressure injection. The noise at start must be caused by drainage of the cam-chain tensioner over time. 

My questions:

• With the repair done/parts installed is there a risk for engine failure (chain jumping over)?
  • I think I did read somewhere that there is a no-return valve which is supposed to prevent the tensioner from draining. Could that be faulty? 
  • Should I take any action at all or just see the noise as an annoyance?

Thank you very much in advance for helping me!

Hi xman,

thank you very much for taking the time to answer. That is just what I feared. It was a battle last time to get them to cover at least some of the cost... Seems I have to start the fight all over again.

Was the kit you mentioned (03F198158B) already available in early 2014 when mine was repaired first time?

In the Italian forum which I first encountered the latest kit, it was mentioned in november 2014 however the related KPI was saying the latest kit was compatible with engines produced after 7th of Nov, 2011. So, it should have bern available before november 2014 but it was denied that the kit was compatible with our engines

When I fitted the latest kit in last february, 2 authorized services were still telling me that latest kit ending with "b" was incompatible with mine and refused to fit it while another two agreed.

Edited by istannbullu34

Thank you both!  :)

Really confusing as it seems. I'll approach my local dealer, who also did the first repair at the time and hear what they have to say:

• 1 month later...

Hi,

it has been a while...thought I post an update on this issue:

I made en appointment at the dealer. They fiddled around for 2 hours or so just to inform that they had not managed to measure the chain stretch but that it looks ok. You might imagine how impressed I was... :angry:

So I told them to find out how to do the measurement and made a new appointment, which was today.

Today they measured and found that the chain is within the allowed range. According to them, they measured 3mm less than allowed (I understood the measurement is done in the way that the chain at a given location is pushed inwards and it is measured how far inwards it can be pushed). They were not able to answer what the measurement for a new chain is.

They also verified that the correct tensioner is fitted.

Not quite sure what to make of that. There seems no immediate danger, but the rattle at startup is something which is concerning to me.

Contact Skoda direct. Tell them everything and that the dealer FITTED AN OLD KIT EVEN WHEN A NEW REVISED KIT WAS AVAILABLE.

This is a well known and documented issue, known to all of the VAG group. There has even been a Briskoda member recently post that SKODA replaced an engine free of charge that was trashed by one of these chocolate camchains even though well out of warranty and without a full dealer history and without any argument.

It is unacceptable for a dealer to continue to fob you off. Since when did a camchain become a change a service item requiring changing at every oil/filter change?

I am sure wherever you live, a legal challenge would be upheld. (In the UK the small claims court)

Hi xman,

thank you for also this time taking the time to answer! The dealer probably did what they are instructed to do, measure the chain and if it is still with limits just send the customer of.

I am an engineer with a good understanding of manufacturing and can understand (and live with) that the cam chain issue happened in the first place. However, the handling by Skoda of it is not acceptable.

I will follow your advice and see what they have say.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

i am also looking for a monte carlo 1,2Tsi, and i found one. They say it is from 2012, but i think the car was produced 2011. 

I have the back side paper and some code.

May i know from this if this has a timing chain and if has been upgraded with the new set? I remember they put a code once fixed that issue. 

Btw, the word “Ambi” is correct for monte carlo? Souldnt be different?

Thanks for feedback

99F842FF-72A9-4746-9693-6CED8519D10A.jpeg

Edited by Juhagpl

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up on my previous posts:

I had a lengthy exchange of e-mails with the customer (don't-) care department directly at the factory. Their position is that as the chain stretch is within the acceptance criteria (for the time being), they do not see anything wrong and are not doing anything to help to solve this permanently.

I explained that I have the following options because of their inability to get something so simple as a cam-chain design/quality right:

- drive the car and hope it will not fail

- pay the dealer on a regular basis to measure the chain stretch

- pay to get proper parts installed.

Not sure how they expect me to buy a new car from them, but they probably just don't care.