Trade-in with new car

Afternoon all,

So I'm expecting to order my new Kodiaq in the next week or 2, and I have a question regarding the purchase process.

If i'm trading in my current vehicle and it's valued at £5000 at point of order, what happens if the vehicle isn't delivered for 20 weeks? Will the trade-in value still be valid? or will it be adjusted at point of delivery? 

Also, what sort of deposit would need to be placed at point of order? 

I've not enjoyed my conversations with the dealer so far, so I thought i'd rather ask on here...

I would think that the dealer will have to honour the trade in price, if you were given an estimated delivery and that is not met you should not be out of pocket.

Best thing to do is ring the dealer and get it written on the paper work between your self and the dealer, then ask for a copy.  It needs to be in writing  so they can't deny what you were told

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

I ordered mid-June, with delivery predicted (correctly, as it turned out) for November.  The dealer offered me a trade-in figure that would be honoured even if the delivery was delayed.  Seemed good to me!  

Check the dealers Ts & Cs - a trick they try and pull is putting an unrealistically early delivery date on the order form, so this then forms part of the contract. Then there is a clause in the small print that says that if the new car is late they will reduce your trade in value by x% for every full period of 30 days that it is late. I have seen figures of around 2% per month.

When we ordered ours this time round I kept the deal on the Kodiaq seperate to the trade in of our old car. We agreed the deal on the Kodiaq first then I gave the dealer the opportunity to buy my car, they gave me a figure that they said they would honour regardless of delivery date, we were given an estimated delivery of 12 to 16 weeks, they also said if I found I could get more elsewhere that I was welcome to sell it without it having any effect on the deal. As it happened I couldn't get anymore anywhere else. So put the ball in their court, make your intentions very clear, do your homework, your car is never (or very rarely) worth what you think it should be so be realistic and if you aren't comfortable with deal walk away. My last 4 cars have all had the deal sorted by phone and e-mail before entering the showroom, time is precious and my days of sitting while sales staff play the silly game of 'I will have to speak to sales manager' leaving you sat there like a spare part are well and truly gone.

• Like 1

Our dealer predicted what the car would be worth at the point of delivery and that was what the deal was based on. I ended up selling our trade in to Evans Halshaw for £1200 more and £1000 more than we buy any car.