Looking to buy 4x4 Octavia!

Watty4x4

Hi good people of the forum. I'm toying with buying an Octavia 4x4 diesel estate, probably around an 05/06 plate, looking for your opinions on mpg, reliability especially the 4x4 system ( which I believe is Haldex ), and capabilities in snow/off road! Cheers, Watty.

Hey Watty, I just bought a used 2009 Octavia 2.0 TDI with 4x4, with 170 000 km. Although it's younger than what your looking for it's still in the Octavia 2 generation.

I did test drive a well maintained 2002 Octavia estate with 4x4 before and I have to say it drove really well.

So for what it's worth, here's what I learned in my research:

1. Yes, the 4x4 is Haldex. The Haldex oil needs to be changed every 64 000 km, and I believe the Haldex filter must be changed every second Haldex oil change. So 128 000 km. I'm going to assume that as long as the regular maintenance has been carried out diligently, the 4x4 should last for a long time.

2. Generally the Octavia estates, depending on engine size, with 4x4 consume about 5-6 litres per 100 km combined.

The owner who I bought my Octavia from said he used to use chains on his old car in the snow, but since he was driving the Octavia with 4x4 he never needed chains in the snow.

I've yet to drive it snow but I can post back here when I do.

we have a 2007 octy 4x4 2.0tdi with a few extra toys and have tp say its been fantastic from day 1 when we got it 10 years ago.  pulls like a train and has great grip regardeless of weather.  asc for snow the haldex works great and on decent tyres its dragged its wsy through 18 inches of the stuff

For the Haldex 4x4 filter and oil I've noticed it on a couple service invoices from the cars I was intending on buying. I checked in this forum and other sources and what I found is Haldex oil every 64 000 km and the Haldex filter every 128 000 km.

Considering I'm a newbie to maintenance, and VAG cars, I could be wrong about the haldex filter interval.

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/12/2017 at 16:59, Watty4x4 said:

Hi good people of the forum. I'm toying with buying an Octavia 4x4 diesel estate, probably around an 05/06 plate, looking for your opinions on mpg, reliability especially the 4x4 system ( which I believe is Haldex ), and capabilities in snow/off road! Cheers, Watty.

Still haven't tested it in real snow, but there was one night where rain turned into ice on the sidewalks and I didn't have issues driving. More walking ;)

MPG: I was doing 8.6L/100km in the city before changing my fuel filter. I am now getting 7L/100km in the city.

Haven't done a lot of driving outside of the city yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Haldex change is on time every 3 years for the cost I do mine every 2 years as the oil does congeal. No filter in the system if there was you would change it every time. However due to the oil state change the pump does start to block which means if caught early enough just a strip & clean (You only really notice the problem when you try to carry out an oil change & it does not fill. Also the vent can become blocked over time which again stops it filling.) Far better system than the freelander 2 which often needs the pump replacing.

PD BMM engines have oil pump problems (See VW eos) more so with DPF engines using a good 5w40 oil helps plus good long runs.

The petrol engines need a chain replace more often than you think as by the time they have stretched its too late.

As for the drive its one of the best cars I have driven on the road it just all works so well (On 15" / 16" wheels) gives a real comfy ride.

Fuel I had a defender before this so don't look too hard at fuel figures it does take a real beating in traffic but is good on the open road.

I thought about the 4x4 version for a little extra ground clearance, but the decrease in fuel economy and the extra buying price put me off slightly. I'm sure you are fully aware, but remember that winter tyres in snow are worth a million times more grip than 4 wheel drive and summer tyres! I've not had any problems in the snow with my 2wd, and I chose to drive the back roads to keep away from the idiots on the main roads in the snow! Worked a treat too as the main roads were blocked with jackknifed lorries and sliding soft roaders!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Watty,

Finally got some time to go snowboarding so naturally I had to try my Octavia in the snow and on ice for you ;)

I parked in about 30 cm of snow while going to dinner after snowboarding. I accelerated in first just under 2.5 RPM and it got out of the snow no problem. Also reversed and adjusted my parking a bit while in that snow depth and again, no issues. We had an icy driveway at the apartment we rented and had no issues either. They also had a snow bank built up so I drove over that with the left wheels to see if there was any slipping and I climbed it no issues.

One other thing, I had a problem starting my car because of wiring problems in the steering column, and after the stealer fixed it my fuel consumption has gone down to 5.7L/100km in the city. It had previously been at 7L/100 km after changing my fuel filter. Before that 8.6L/100km.

Highway, going about 130Km/h in 6th, i'm using about 8L/100 km if the pedal is down.

Hope this helps, if I experience anything else snow or fuel mileage related i'll post again. Until then good luck finding the car for you.

Edited by SkodaSponge
typos

In January 2010 we had around 28" of snow in South Yorks area where I lived, the A57 was blocked and Mountain rescue was on the job.

The next day after I had cleared the garage doors and compressed the snow on the drive by jumping on boards! I got the car out, some big 4x4s had been on the road to stop me from beaching it!! I had no problems getting to Sheffield area to rescue my old sister. When I got to her very hilly estate and stopped outside her house on the hill ,people were looking amazed that a CAR was able to get around ( so was I ), anyway all was well and I am now on my 3rd Octy 4x4, a covert snow Mobile:)

It was the TDi 1.9 They are a great car in my opinion.