Rear wiper/arm

Just bought my Octavia few weeks ago and the rear wiper was poor, the wiper would not wipe the middle of the rear window. I decided to change the rear wiper and got a Bosch one for it and it's worse. The rear wiper now leaves a bigger area uncleaned.  

Do I need a new arm or have I fitted it wrong or is there something Iam missing? I can try a valeo wiper as i sell them also at work. 

Ps it's an estate. 

Edited by Vrsbuddy

Try to remove bolt cap, and look how wiper cleans without it. In my case with cap on i had about 20cm~ uncleaned area in the middle. With pocket knife "adjusted" cap fittings, and now it's perfect.

Edited by Bushas
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had issues with the rear wiper not clearing the screen properly since I had the car. Replaced the blade with  a new one and it made no difference. I have tried (once again) to flatten the blade as it seems the spring is not strong enough to press the pre curved arm flat to the glass so I get a 3 inch unwiped area in the middle. I'm thinking of replacing the whole unit woth a better one with more spring tensioners. 

However, may try to adjust the spring tension first. Is this possible?

This was exactly the same issue I had. One on car when I got it did not clean the middle of the rear window so changed it and put a Bosch one on and it was the same. I even looked up the original part number for the arm and found one on ebay. 

Then I had to bring the car to work and thought gonna try the Valeo blade on the car and it works perfect and still works perfect. 

• Like 1

Exactly the same issue as all of you; like Parsnipthecat I've had this problem since new, tried OE and quality aftermarket to no avail, came to the conclusion it was just as well I was taught to drive on door mirrors...  Will look for a Valeo blade on the basis of what Vrsbuddy says by the look of it (tho I thought we'd tried that one..).

14 hours ago, Cryonut said:

Had this happen to me, cured it by cleaning the pivots of the wiper arm and oiling.

The rear wiper from Valeo's new range of wipers is HR40 and also looked up the part number of the rear wiper arm. The part number for that is 1Z9955707 believe is also fitted to some Seat cars. 

Got the same on my Octy at the moment. had a 2-3 inch patch when new, changed the rubber blade and was ok again......now it has a 5 or 6 inch patch that doesn't clean! Will have a look at the spring cap and a new blade.

7 hours ago, Vrsbuddy said:

The rear wiper from Valeo's new range of wipers is HR40 and also looked up the part number of the rear wiper arm. The part number for that is 1Z9955707 believe is also fitted to some Seat cars. 

Cheers Vrsbuddy, Valeo always made good lighting products (Cibie for example), so I'll take a look, thanks!

Mainly because the outer half of the blade when rested is curved (resting on the curved screen) but when in use and pointing upwards the screen is almost flat that way, but the blade remains slightly curved, so misses the screen.

I did use an old style metal blade holder with more pivot points and this worked, at least for a short while.

A stronger spring makes no sense imo as if the central point of the blade (where it connects to the arm) is touching the screen then a stronger spring is just going to put more pressure on this point.

I do however wonder if a longer arm, holding the blade slightly further out (off central, or smaller blade) would cure this by putting the pressure on the point where the curved blade misses the sweep.

• 3 years later...

I noticed that the pressure of the rear wiper arm against the window is quite strong when you hold it a centimetre away from the glass, but weak when it's resting against the glass.

1. Removed the plastic bolt cap, cleaned out some dirt and sprayed the hinges with WD40.  Tried the wiper and it worked properly!

2. Replaced the bolt cap.  Tried the wiper and it had gone back to leaving a great big oval bit in the middle of the screen.

3. The bolt cap itself seems to be the problem.  It needs a little judicious trimming / filing, because it gets in the way of the end bits of the arm and stops the arm having enough pressure against the window.

4. Filed a little off in several places where the bolt cap got in the way of the arm.  Eventually this solved the problem.  (I imagine the cleaning and the WD40 helped a bit, too.)