Auto locks, but doesn't auto unlock

jerrybean

This might be a bit of a numpty question but, my 5 door Citigo SE, auto locks itself at approx 9 - 10 mph but doesn't unlock itself once you switch off and remove the ignition key.

I even looked at the owners handbook and it says that the car should unlock once you remove the ignition key - does others?

The car does unlock fully if I press the unlock button on the drivers door or on the key, but if i just open the drivers door all other doors remained locked.

Is this something I can activate myself (series of button presses etc) or will I need the main dealer to activate this key removal unlock function?

Thanks in advance for your help.

J.

If all the doors unlock with one press of the remote fob button then global unlocking should also occur when you remove the key from the ignition.

A couple of years ago I had issues with the auto locking module on a SEAT Leon after it had been in the bodyshop to replace a damaged door. It sorted itself out after disconnecting the battery earth lead and then reconnecting after a few minutes.

Edited by ronime

1 hour ago, nbJubilee said:

Mine doesn't unlock when removing ignition key. Just with remote or door button. (From new).

Does it lock when you reach 10mph though?

1 hour ago, ronime said:

If all the doors unlock with one press of the remote fob button then global unlocking should also occur when you remove the key from the ignition.

A couple of years ago I had issues with the auto locking module on a SEAT Leon after it had been in the bodyshop to replace a damaged door. It sorted itself out after disconnecting the battery earth lead and then reconnecting after a few minutes.

Actually, thinking back to the last time that I used VCDS, auto lock and auto unlock are two separate settings (bits 3and 4). 2014 models did not have auto lock/unlock enabled at the factory.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ronime said:

Actually, thinking back to the last time that I used VCDS, auto lock and auto unlock are two separate settings (bits 3and 4). 2014 models did not have auto lock/unlock enabled at the factory.

Mine is a 64 plate & the dealer enabled the auto lock for me a week after I collected it. 

I'm I correct in believing that they also need to install the auto unlock as it's a completely different software code?

I must admit they didn't believe me that the Citigo could be programmed to auto-lock @ 10 mph.

Looks like I going to have to convince them that it can auto-unlock as you remove the key !!! 

Edited by jerrybean

1 hour ago, jerrybean said:

Mine is a 64 plate & the dealer enabled the auto lock for me a week after I collected it. 

I'm I correct in believing that they also need to install the auto unlock as it's a completely different software code?

I must admit they didn't believe me that the Citigo could be programmed to auto-lock @ 10 mph.

Looks like I going to have to convince them that it can auto-unlock as you remove the key !!! 

The Skoda dealer probably doesn't use VCDS (they will use the official VAG factory diagnostic system) but yes, there are separate "options" (tick boxes) for auto lock and auto unlock.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Snaefell said:

Does the auto lock, auto unlock in the event of an accident i.e. when the air bags and hazard lights are activated?

If not, it's a fault that needs immediate attention.

Cheers TCK.

Snaefell,

I believe if the car is involved in an accident the locks are released. This also happens if you have manually locked the car via the locking button.

Edited by jerrybean

4 hours ago, snapseller said:

Numpty question, but how do you know it auto locks @ 10mph? Does it make a noise of some kind? Dennis.

Yes, you can hear the locks kicking in, press the lock button on the drivers door and that's the sound it makes 

• 2 weeks later...

It’s a convenience like automatic headlights and kerbside dipping door mirror. Once you have owned a car with these kind of features you come to rely on them and miss them when they are not there. We have had four cars with autolocking doors over the  course of the last ten years so it is almost an expectation now.

1 hour ago, snapseller said:

I'm not sure why you need auto locking? Is it in the expectation that you may be attacked at a traffic light e.g.? Is that very likely in the UK?

All questions I fear. Dennis.

Unfortunately this has happened to my wife & I a few years ago in our Citroën C8 and that's in Sunny Surrey. The nutter jumped out of his car & tried to open the drivers door. When he couldn't he started punching and kicking the car. Luckily the lights changed and we drove off, leaving him standing. 

1 hour ago, snapseller said:

I'm not sure why you need auto locking? Is it in the expectation that you may be attacked at a traffic light e.g.? Is that very likely in the UK?

All questions I fear. Dennis.

Lone female drivers, hand bag stolen from the passenger seat whilst stopped at traffic lights. It does happen.

So if Autolock can not be activated, or if it is you are not sure it is working unless someone checks by trying to get in, then lock yourself, in.

Open door, sit in car, put hand bag on floor passenger side, seat belt on, start engine, lock doors, check mirrors, indicate etc etc 

Edited by AwaoffSki

My Fabia always locked at 10 mph and unlocked on key removal as have many other cars I've driven. I find it a real pain as passengers never wait for you to remove the key and start riving at the door handle. So now I never have the facility activated. It's a matter of personal preference.