LED Headlights?

With the Octavia having full LED headlights, and the Superb having Xenon, are there any known future plans for the Superb to come with LED?

Every other model in the VAG range has LED other than the Superb which seems a bit odd to me.

7 hours ago, aldouk said:

Yes shame they didn’t introduce on the MY18. Not sure when the refresh is due on the S3

2019 is wat I've heard for a FL Superb.

Most likely it will feature LED headlights too.

On 10/12/2017 at 05:32, JR RS said:

2019 is wat I've heard for a FL Superb.

Most likely it will feature LED headlights too.

Bugger. I'll be ordering my next company car around February time, and really quite fancy LED headlights.

On 11/12/2017 at 19:26, CoolC said:

Bugger. I'll be ordering my next company car around February time, and really quite fancy LED headlights.

I was happy to ditch the LED lights on my Mazda for Xenon on the Superb. 

The LED were bright but didn't seem to have the range/depth.

• Like 1

Yeah, my wife's last car, a Polo GTI, had LEDs and they were OK but not better in any area than good HIDs. In fact, the tiny point source meant a lot more 'fringing' at the edges of the beam pattern which was distracting and very noticeable in some situations, like narrow lanes, or when being reflected off puddles. Hard to explain but you don't get that with 'fuzzier' light sources like halogens or HIDs. It may have been exacerbated by the LED's duty cycle which might have introduced a tiny degree of flicker.

Bet lights I've had on any car were my last Yeti. The Superb doesn't seem to be quite as good, perhaps due to the lower front end.

On my A6 I got back in 2014 I paid the extra for the Matrix LED's, they were very good and included really good dynamic lighting turning off individual LED's for oncoming traffic etc, our Kodiaq also has LED's.

Xenon's seem dull in comparison on my Superb, I prefer the white light LED's provide..Still I have gotten over this quite quickly.

I have LED's on my Tiguan along with VW Dynamic Light Assist (I think the same as S.L.A. on Skoda?), they make the xenon lights I had on my Superb 2 seem poor in comparison, they are without any doubt the best headlights I have had, and by quite some way.

I think that the S3 superb has a very poor high beam, low is ok but high is crap. This is comparing to an XC70 -15 with xenon headlights. I've read that the S2 had dual xenon's that was really impressive.

If they would have sticked with dual lamps instead of just using one with a advanced blind it could have been ok.

I'll look into putting some LED bar or something like that on my car.

4 hours ago, Baverhanne said:

I've read that the S2 had dual xenon's that was really impressive.

The S2 had bi-xenon headlights, so the same xenons did both high and low beam using the shutter, plus they also had halogen for high beam. The outer lights were the xenon, and the inner lights were the halogens. It gave a slightly odd look from the outside as you had the brighter xenons plus the halogens on at the same time for high beam. This combination gave a really great high beam.

A few people who have had both the S2 and S3 say the S2 xenons were a bit better.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cnc said:

The S2 had bi-xenon headlights, so the same xenons did both high and low beam using the shutter, plus they also had halogen for high beam. The outer lights were the xenon, and the inner lights were the halogens. It gave a slightly odd look from the outside as you had the brighter xenons plus the halogens on at the same time for high beam. This combination gave a really great high beam.

A few people who have had both the S2 and S3 say the S2 xenons were a bit better.

I have to agree as well.  Has bi-xenons on both my S2s and they were marginally better.  It is down to the halogen assist on the S2 which, as you say, looked odd but it worked.  I've had xenons for the last ten years now and looking at the newer LED units, they are starting to date.

My Clio 197 had that feature too, with the halogen high beam as well as Xenon - the light output was so good! 

The quality of light seems to vary from car to car - the Xenons of the 2 series I’m in now are far better than the ones fitted to my O3. Also driven my mates 14 plate Leon with LED’s and they’re terrible!

My company car -a Nissan Pulsar has LED lights that are very bright indeed and have very defined edge to the beam pattern, it has halogen bulbs that come on additionally for high beam. It's a very effective combination 

Any one tried to convert HID/Xenon to LED? It seems pretty easy (skipping balast of course)? 
I just wonder what to do in that case with the computer which monitors bulbs power consumption (errors on dash)? 

On 21/12/2017 at 10:26, SC03OTT said:

Going somewhat off topic. Hadn’t realised the Rapid was getting a second iteration. Sure I read it likely wouldn’t be replaced due to poor sales. 

It’s quite popular in the taxi trade.

On 12/21/2017 at 16:01, linni said:

I bet it couldn`t been worse than Lada with non - halogen headlights :D:D

Have you ever driven a car from the 1950s/1960s with non-halogen headlights and 6 volt electrics?

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/12/2017 at 20:43, cnc said:

i agree. My Mk 2 headlights were superior to my Mk 3's.