Sasha’s Octavia vRS

5 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Haha, in other ways I’m a bit simple, but when it comes to cars (and hopefully education as I’m doing a Masters in it and hopefully a PhD!) I have something of an understanding :)

You need an Android device like a Samsung to use it as sadly they don’t have an iPhone app. The pro pack enables you to do long coding and check history along with lots of other helpful stuff. As standard, coding wise, all the OBDEleven does is write pre written coding onto the car in exchange for credits, of which you can either buy or get 5 free ones per day by viewing adverts. You get 10 free ones and another free one the first time you log on. If you have the pro pack you can use the instructions like you could on VCDS. 

I’ve managed some more today, though not all with total success. Got cornering fogs enabled, disabled AM band and attempted to do dual rear fogs and mirror drop, but they didn’t take. Strangely, the car read 5 traffic signs before throwing up an error today. I want to do headlight wash with 2 second pull later. I am liking this little toy!!

I did dual rear fogs this week, following a few late drives home in thick fog. Worked first time with OBDEleven. Did you set both to the Leuchte26 and Leuchte27 Lichtfunktion to "Nebelschlusslicht wenn kein anhaenger gesteckt"? Also check the dimmwert values on both Leuchte26 and 27. A value of 0 would effectively be off.

I remember there being a few options that looked almost the same. I also recall a mention of an issue on 15 onwards cars but iirc yours is around 2014?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ozzy25 said:

Right, downloaded the app to my Tesco Hudl tablet. 20 credits added by changing the date on the tablet. Just need to order the rest of it now. Where do you get all the codes etc when you want to change something?

Anything in the VCDS tweaks sticky thread at the top of the Octavia III should list the coding or adaptations required for various features. Just make sure you do a bit of reading around long coding and adaptations, and get familiar with the layout of OBDEleven before changing anything. It records history of all changes and you have the option of doing backups but measure twice cut once and all that :)

• Like 3

That’s a clever trick I didn’t think of!! I’m getting all my coding from the sticky at the top of this section of the forum.

I set them right, but I didn’t check the dimmwert value, I’ll look now. Mine’s an Aug14 car and I think it’s an MY14 as I’m sure the Amundsen nav came standard on the vRS for MY15.

• Like 1

What does the use of OBD & VCDS do to warranties etc? If you’d indulged in some DiY coding/system alterations and it went pear-shaped, would a dealer refuse to fix it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MorrisOx said:

What does the use of OBD & VCDS do to warranties etc? If you’d indulged in some DiY coding/system alterations and it went pear-shaped, would a dealer refuse to fix it?

My dealer certainly wasn't keen on the idea of plugging any "non VW diagnostic kit" in. That said, unless something you did in OBD or VCDS can be directly attributed to the warranty issue then it's fine and not an issue. If you mis-coded something incorrectly that causes a problem then your dealer isn't going to sort it under warranty.

• Like 1

Yeah I don’t know about warranty work as mine is out of manufacturers warranty now. I asked Skoda to code auto locks on the Citigo and they did that for me no probs. They didn’t do a very good job though; I had to recode it on my OBDEleven today to get the rear doors to unlock.

• Sad 1

It’s great, apart from my own mistake on the dual rear fogs coding I haven’t had a single thing not code properly after the second attempt and that was only the high beam assist. The rest has coded first time every time. The corner fogs are cool, really like those for bumper level vision outside the house as I live on a street and have to parallel park.

• Thanks 1

Very interested in this as I don't believe there is anyone locally able to carry out a few tweaks for me.

Is it easy to use?

• Like 1

Great effort getting stuck in and making the car "yours" with the coding tweaks and tackling the VBF conversion!

I've just traded my Superb in for your car's twin - Quartz Grey with the Black Pack, although mine's got the Pictoris wheels.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alfashark said:

Great effort getting stuck in and making the car "yours" with the coding tweaks and tackling the VBF conversion!

I've just traded my Superb in for your car's twin - Quartz Grey with the Black Pack, although mine's got the Pictoris wheels.

Be interested in your Superb (Mk2 or 3?) vs vRS comparison as I may go Superb 3 next time. 

(sorry, blatant hijack) 

Edited by dunc69
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Alfashark said:

Thanks. It’s not done yet; seen some lovely Bentley wheels on eBay that I just can’t seem to take off the watch list!

Hope you like the new car :)

• Like 1

No major news is Octy world to report other than it’s booked in for engine and DSG service on Feb 1st. Courtesy car is out until then. Service counter is saying 800 miles to go so with 7 days work commute between now and then at 140 miles a day it will go over a bit! Never mind, I’ll need a courtesy car so it’ll have to do. Probably get the same white Rapid I got last time.

On 14/01/2018 at 16:46, SashaGrace said:

Mine’s an Aug14 car and I think it’s an MY14 as I’m sure the Amundsen nav came standard on the vRS for MY15.

Not a bad thing...the MIB1 Amundsen system was useless IMO. Far better off buying a phone mount and using Waze / Google Maps. I managed to last about a week before I just gave up on the built in nav - shame really, as that was the only thing I could say I really hated about my Octy.

Edited by GoneToBeemer
  • Like 1

I have a MY14 TSi 220 with Amundsen satnav, got the car about a year ago, so suspect someone added it as an option when new? along with heated seats and heated front screen, I have to admit I don't use the built in sat nav, found it very clunky, but use my 4 year old Garmin.

P.S. Ordered some of the silicon key covers, they arrive earlier this week. Applied to one of the keys to protect it from wear and tear, seems to be doing a good job, Thanks to Sasha for posting about them :-)

• Like 1

Honestly just Apple maps is good enough for the 4 times a year I need sat nav. My old C30 had nav and it was never used, the screen used to flip itself up from the dash to remind me it existed then go back to sleep!! I would just like the bigger screen as the large glossy bezel looks cheap IMO. Also this was the only car on my list of potentials that didn’t have Columbus nav so all my alternatives had the big 8 inch screen. This car won on account of being an automatic which I really wanted this time round.

I love my key covers, always the first upgrade I go for on a new car, glad others are finding them useful :)

The way car manufacturers flog us shiny, new infotainment screens drives me nuts sometimes. I had a look at the new large-screen Skoda system when I test drove a Superb prior to purchase and, yes, it looks great. But is a touchscreen the right way to operate these systems on the go? No. Is the standard nav betterr than Google or Apple maps? No - it’s worse. Not even in the eyeline, either.

Google and Apple are streets ahead in terms of the development firepower they put into mapping information systems and the future is all about integrating smartphone apps into the car. My new Superb will have a bigger, better screen than my outgoing Octy, but will it be better than my iPhone? No. Its main advantage will be that it’s got Apple Carplay.

Arguably, the best infotainment system Skoda offers is the plastic smartphone cradle in the Citigo...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MorrisOx said:

The way car manufacturers flog us shiny, new infotainment screens drives me nuts sometimes. I had a look at the new large-screen Skoda system when I test drove a Superb prior to purchase and, yes, it looks great. But is a touchscreen the right way to operate these systems on the go? No. Is the standard nav betterr than Google or Apple maps? No - it’s worse. Not even in the eyeline, either.

Google and Apple are streets ahead in terms of the development firepower they put into mapping information systems and the future is all about integrating smartphone apps into the car. My new Superb will have a bigger, better screen than my outgoing Octy, but will it be better than my iPhone? No. Its main advantage will be that it’s got Apple Carplay.

Arguably, the best infotainment system Skoda offers is the plastic smartphone cradle in the Citigo...

Haha this is so so true!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MorrisOx said:

But is a touchscreen the right way to operate these systems on the go? No.

Even for a passenger trying to operate a touchscreen while moving is difficult - especially if there is a long list of items to scroll through.

Bring back soft keys - REAL switches with software controlled functions depending on mode, they're SOOOOOOO much easier to use while on the move.

• Like 1