Sasha’s Octavia vRS

10 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

44k is barely run in!!! I imagine this one will be with me until it’s on 130k or so, or whenever it turns 6 as I’ll probably sell it then and try something else.

Tomorrows job will be fitting these 

27AC1F8F-D46A-4AD4-AB6D-D3A837D91A0A.thumb.jpeg.525e7a22c61c0871d284f799766b31a7.jpeg

Proper LED plate lights. If they look good I might whack one in the Citigo to replace the Osram bulb I fitted a while back in the standard bulb holder. That should distract me from writing for a while haha :D

I hope the fitting goes well Sasha :) 

9 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Thanks, shouldn’t take 10 mins. Will do it once I’ve taken the cat to the vet, silly moggy!!

It's a nice straightforward one, coding takes 2 mins too. They do look good and perfectly OEM, unlike a lot of LED replacements in the original units.

I've been meaning to get bonnet struts done all week but stuff keeps coming up!

• Like 1

I wanted them for the OEM finish really. £9 each hardly breaks the bank and they shouldn’t blow after 3 months like the cheapo ones I’ve used in the past. That said though, the Osram one in the Citigo is doing a sterling job, as are the LED DRL’s. 

I have so much stuff to do, no time to do half of it! I haven’t even washed this car myself yet, I let the dealer give it a wash when it went in for service as it was hanging so they were doing me a favour, any swirls they added would have been lost among those that were already there. I’ll try and get it done over Easter, am stocking up on supplies :) Ideally I’ll have it ceramic coated as it’s the daily and I never have time to clean it these days. The Merc is at the front of the queue though as that’s been dirty even longer!!

• Like 1

I know exactly what you mean, I've been so busy I hadn't washed mine for over 2 months. Let the dealer wash it on its Service this week and ended up with some scratches. Lesson learnt and never again!

I think I ended up adjusting the brightness of the LED units down to about 65 on the dimmwert value, so check yours at night and see what you think. I felt they were slightly too bright compared to other cars with them factory fitted. You may like it as is at full to be fair.

Osram bulbs are quality but not particularly cheap. I ended up ripping all the cheap Chinese LEDs from my interior and replacing with Osrams at £5 a pop. Not cheap but so much better.

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

I wanted them for the OEM finish really. £9 each hardly breaks the bank and they shouldn’t blow after 3 months like the cheapo ones I’ve used in the past. That said though, the Osram one in the Citigo is doing a sterling job, as are the LED DRL’s. 

I have so much stuff to do, no time to do half of it! I haven’t even washed this car myself yet, I let the dealer give it a wash when it went in for service as it was hanging so they were doing me a favour, any swirls they added would have been lost among those that were already there. I’ll try and get it done over Easter, am stocking up on supplies :) Ideally I’ll have it ceramic coated as it’s the daily and I never have time to clean it these days. The Merc is at the front of the queue though as that’s been dirty even longer!!

Ooooh, £9 each.

That sounds interesting. Do you have part numbers?

Lee

All finished and coded :) Please excuse the filthy car, I will sort that soon!

Start with the factory bulbs, very dim and yellow

38645383510_5e26f0359a_b.jpg

Numberplate LED conversion by SashaGrace, on Flickr

39559828825_c7e90692d4_b.jpg

Close up of the new bulb

39745588794_c919c18470_b.jpg

50/50

26585096108_0af8a8c8b9_b.jpg

and finished

39559832155_d9bb34021a_b.jpg

Will take pics tonight in the dark as well and decide if I'm going to adjust the dimmwert value down any, thanks for the heads up @ahenners 

Coding is a 2 minute job in the Central Electrical module. In other news, my Amundsen has been posted to Poland today, so hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll have it back with Nav and SmartLink working :D

Next on the list is colour coded Skoda badges and black model badges, but I'm not sure if I will just Plastidip in the meantime as I'm too tight to spend the £££ on new badges and I'm worried I'll mess up the location of the new model badges and that'll bug me. Will have the exhaust tips powder coated while I'm there to finish off the black pack as it should be!

• Like 3

It does doesn't it! They came from here if anyone wants to know, they were £9.50 each sorry. P/N is 3AF943021A

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/genuine-brand-new-vw-passat-touran-jetta-led-number-plate-lamp-3af943021a/263158798003?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

26592884978_08a3256676_b.jpg

39567682065_135dfb76dc_b.jpg

38653211710_0f9a9d6b3e_b.jpg

As mentioned though, I found them a bit bright, can't really tell too much in the photo's but they were very bright and lit up the bumper and floor very clearly, so I set the dimmwert value to 70 and this is much better

38653204820_ec625d8f6f_b.jpg

40463437901_38d580689f_b.jpg

I'm very happy with this, all for under £20 and 20 mins work. On to the next one!!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

26592884978_08a3256676_b.jpg

39567682065_135dfb76dc_b.jpg

38653211710_0f9a9d6b3e_b.jpg

As mentioned though, I found them a bit bright, can't really tell too much in the photo's but they were very bright and lit up the bumper and floor very clearly, so I set the dimmwert value to 70 and this is much better

38653204820_ec625d8f6f_b.jpg

40463437901_38d580689f_b.jpg

I'm very happy with this, all for under £20 and 20 mins work. On to the next one!!

Looking good now in the dark, cleaner to :thumbup:

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 09:45, nidza said:

Leather seats are actually much better then basic ones on vRS. I did drive test vehicle with basic seats before ordering the-white-one, and my back was all wet. This synthetic is not really good on hot weather, but you might not have such a problem in the U.K.

Alcantara is on the other hand superior material by far.

@SashaGrace , you can massage the leather with your hands and straighten it up. Nothing to worry very much about, it is a very good and soft leather. Find instructions on youtube how to maintain some good expensive leather furniture like Natuzzi. It also needs some attention and straightening sometimes. 

Alcantara seats in my VRS245 are super comfy but also warm in winter, cool in summer and very grippy going round corners. Added bonus they make the interior feel very special even friends with Audi's remark on how nice they are. Hardly ever bother with the standard heated seats.

• Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:10, SashaGrace said:

New plates have arrived! Just waiting for the plate holders, then I can finally junk those nasty Lex Autolease plates!

34jacf4.jpg

I’ll be back later with more variable boot floor news and hopefully a car that’s all back together :)

Have you nicknamed it Wizard or is it just me having a Harry Potter moment, before you ask I haven't read any of the books.

• Like 1

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 22:19, logiclee said:

The 5 speed gearbox on the manual 1.6tdi is a real puzzler. Who decided that especially when even the Mk2 1.2 TSi got the 6 speed box?

I've driven the 1.6tdi manual and dsg back to back and they just feel different cars altogether. The manuals ratio's are too widely spaced but even so 5th is'nt tall enough.

Even my wife's previous car a 2015 Spaceback with 1.2Tsi engine had a standard 6 speed manual gearbox.

• Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 23:04, SeanG said:

So how do I find out which spec camera I have? That will help solve the question about getting Traffic and Lane assist enabled (if at all!)?

Trust me you don't want lane assist tried it once and for a bit of fun thought I would take my hands off the steering wheel and let the car drive itself all autonomous like a Tesla but several seconds later got a telling off from onboard computer instructing me to place my hands back on the steering wheel, very George Orwell 1984.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Petunet said:

Don't worry, they are very easy to put in the right place:

30585320173_02603ba4a4_b.jpg

Thinks it's the model badges (ŠKODA/OCTAVIA) rather than the bonnet and boot badges as these don't have any location pins on them for fitting reference. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Petunet said:

Don't worry, they are very easy to put in the right place:

30585320173_02603ba4a4_b.jpg

Thanks, I’m ok with the Skoda logo badges, it’s the text badges (the ones that say Skoda, Octavia and vRS) that I’d worry about. Would rather leave them and Plastidip as I’d worry they’d be in the wrong place when I’m done.

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

Have you nicknamed it Wizard or is it just me having a Harry Potter moment, before you ask I haven't read any of the books.

I was hoping nobody would notice that! I’ve only left the 14 plate on it because I’m too lazy to stick my p/plate on. Will do it one day haha

10 minutes ago, Ozzy25 said:

Thinks it's the model badges (ŠKODA/OCTAVIA) rather than the bonnet and boot badges as these don't have any location pins on them for fitting reference. 

Having seen a video from the factory showing the production line, they just use a template guide to stick the lettering on. Couldn't you use low tack masking tape around the existing letters in the same manner as a reference?

• Like 1

Next mod that is confirmed is LED sidelights. Ordered them today on AliExpress so god knows when they’ll get here. Can’t believe the feeble effort Skoda put in for these, they look awful. The fl with proper lit up whiskers look a much better. I always have the lights on Auto anyway so I only ever have sidelights running with the headlights but it bothers me that they are the only incandescent bulb that comes on with the headlights, as the DRL’s, plate lights and tail lights are all LED and the headlights are xenon so I had to fix that. 

Thinking of going back and ordering LED’s for the rest of the interior as I don’t really want to pay lots of £££ for LED’s if I don’t have to. Also, for some reason the left boot light is a bit dodgy, always has been. Will swap the bulb holder out for the spare one I have and see if it helps.