2018 F1 General Discussion Topic

gadgetman

McLaren to continue for a 5th straight year with no Title sponsor (and no free engines this time).

Lucky for them the majority owners are pretty much "the Royal Mint of Bahrain"

Team Principal Zak Brown is spinning this just the way Ron would have - We don't need a title sponsor, our brand is stronger without one, blah, blah

Ferrari announce new car online launch date as Feb 22.

At the same event FCA boss Marchionne was quoted as saying "we will be in the 2018 title fight".

He also repeated his threat to quit F1, but this time he added the context of resurrecting the rival series plans with the other major teams.

This alternative to F1 was originally the manufacturers GPWC which would have started in 2008.

A second try saw an alternative 2010 race schedule published by the FOTA teams who were in dispute with the FIA over the budget cap.

The FIAT boss clearly thinks this is the way to force the engine rules in a direction he wants for 2020.

Edited by camelspyyder

Rather than an 'alternative' F1 I would like to see something like a revised F5000. Simple cars with BIG power and relatively small wings and limited aero package to be driven by minted hobby drivers and/or talented enthusiasts with guest drivers from established teams/disciplines. I think someone like Max Verstappen would love it, the crowd would love the spectacle, the drivers would enjoy the thrill of oversteer and competing against drivers from the top echelons of motorsport (not just F1, the guest could be from sports cars, touring cars etc).

I know it will never happen but I would much rather watch this than an 'alternative F1' created to keep the rich teams rich and the poor teams poor. A bit like a Tory Party manifesto!

Lance Stroll - any good or somewhat deluded?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/133672/my-2017-results-answered-my-critics--stroll

In this article it mentions that he finished the season 1 place and 3 points behind Massa, but without the Baku suspension failure on Felipe's car the gap would have been nearer 30 points (Tech director Paddy Lowe is convinced Massa would have won that race had he not had a damper failure after the restart).

I think Stroll's biggest issue is his dire lack of qualifying pace, losing 17-2 to the veteran Brazilian and on average being 0.7s slower (that's huge - it might as well be 0.7 light-years)

Will he do better this year?  He's probably not even at Ericsson's standard yet, and I've long thought Marcus the least capable driver out there.

Edited by camelspyyder

Well, I've always viewed Lance more as "access to Lawrence's chequebook" than as a competitive driver. Being beaten by someone who had retired and then came back as an emergency signing didn't really help his cause there.

Yeah, especially since Felipe has rarely been noted for out-qualifying teammates such as Bottas, Alonso in the last decade.

Admittedly as a young lad, he occasionally beat Schuey and KImi in qually but that's a long time ago.

Ericsson still in cloud cuckoo land:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/133737/ericsson-wehrlein-hype-was-good-for-me

He thinks only getting slightly beaten by a rookie is good for his standing and career.

"Asked by Autosport why he thought he was not considered a serious prospect by teams further up the grid, Ericsson replied: "The problem is when you're driving for a team that's at the back of the grid it's really difficult to impress people and to show what you can do."

He means - his hometown sugar daddies cant afford to buy another team further up the grid!

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

well, if Rich energy do take on Force India, we should try and get Irn-Bru to sponsor on the McLaren car, seeing as the colours fit.

Monster are already involved with Mercedes, which other drinks companies can get involved ?

I've actually been on the sugar free and extra versions for the past 18 months or so, but tried the new recipe yesterday. Seems a flatter taste, or maybe bigger bubbles (less tingly) and definitely a different flavour. Not fussed, really. Will stick to the non sugar versions 

Testing day 1. RedBull fastest at lunch from Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault close. Alonso lost a wheel early on, delaying Mclaren somewhat.

Riccardo has done a 1:20.1

Last years fastest time before lunch was a 1:22.7

Edited by camelspyyder

3 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

Testing day 1. RedBull fastest at lunch from Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault close. Alonso lost a wheel early on, delaying Mclaren somewhat.

Riccardo has done a 1:20.1

Last years fastest time before lunch was a 1:22.7

Only drivers to do decent times in today's sessions...........

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/134546/ricciardo-ends-first-day-of-testing-on-top

Where was LH, MV and SV?     Sandbagging?   Shortage of test cars?

1 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull/Renault 1m20.179s - 60
2 Valtteri Bottas Mercedes 1m20.349s 0.170s 58
3 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 1m20.506s 0.327s 60
4 Nico Hulkenberg Renault 1m20.547s 0.368s 73

Edited by lol-lol

8 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

Only drivers to do decent times in today's sessions...........

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/134546/ricciardo-ends-first-day-of-testing-on-top

Where was LH, MV and SV?     Sandbagging?   Shortage of test cars?

1 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull/Renault 1m20.179s - 60
2 Valtteri Bottas Mercedes 1m20.349s 0.170s 58
3 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 1m20.506s 0.327s 60
4 Nico Hulkenberg Renault 1m20.547s 0.368s 73

Err.....it's testing each team will be looking at different aspects, handling, engines, reliability etc,etc. 

Vettel fastest by 0.3 from Bo77as (on slower tyres though). He's already faster than any lap at last years first test.

Unfortunately Pirelli's 9 tyre options for this year don't include a snow tyre, and it's now snowing in Barcelona.

Edited by camelspyyder