Just renewed with CK for another year - despite the rise in cost and excess!

chrisgreen

Afternoon all

So, I got my renewal quote through this morning from Chris Knott - a £40 increase on what I paid them last year, and for a slightly worse policy than last year's (the underlying insurer has changed from Highway to Equity Red Star and I noticed, after I paid for the policy and received the actual certificate, that my windscreen excess has gone up to £125, despite being told it was £75 when I asked about it during my call to do the payment).

While it was still the cheapest quote I've had, I really don't understand why there's such a jump considering I'm an existing (and multi-year) customer, in my 40s, drive a modest car with an asthmatic hamster for an engine (and it's the same car I've had for the last three and a half years), live in a low crime area and park off-street on the drive?

Anyway - all paid and insured for another year, but really not happy about being misinformed about the windscreen excess when I specifically asked what it would be.

Judging by the two recent quotes for me and my wife on our separate cars and then using comparison sites, everything has gone up by 20%. Probably due at least in part to people with insurance paying for the toe-rags who believe it's their divine right to drive without insurance, tax, licence. 

I have just renewed my car Insurance and so has Mrs G.  We are both on each others Insurance as named drivers and because we are now both retired our policys have gone down

Mrs G's by £40 and mine has gone down by almost £45. Oh.............the joys of being Old.

Forgot to add, It's not with CK.  To expencive this time and couldn't benifit from having 2 cars insured as they couldn't get a decent price for Mrs G Fabia. 

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

• Sponsor
On 12/12/2017 at 15:57, chrisgreen said:

Afternoon all

So, I got my renewal quote through this morning from Chris Knott - a £40 increase on what I paid them last year, and for a slightly worse policy than last year's (the underlying insurer has changed from Highway to Equity Red Star and I noticed, after I paid for the policy and received the actual certificate, that my windscreen excess has gone up to £125, despite being told it was £75 when I asked about it during my call to do the payment).

While it was still the cheapest quote I've had, I really don't understand why there's such a jump considering I'm an existing (and multi-year) customer, in my 40s, drive a modest car with an asthmatic hamster for an engine (and it's the same car I've had for the last three and a half years), live in a low crime area and park off-street on the drive?

Anyway - all paid and insured for another year, but really not happy about being misinformed about the windscreen excess when I specifically asked what it would be.

Hi Chris, I'm glad we're still your best option competitively. On the issue of the price increase, though you're OUR existing customer, you're new to Equity and it's Equity who set the rate for the policy you're on when we switched you across. It's testament to the scheme that even with the increase, which will be a reflection of the current market/risk environment, you're still getting something that's priced below all the others you tried.

On the subject of the windscreen excess, please see my previous comment about the windscreen excess. It is as you expected it to be - £75.

58 minutes ago, ChrisKnottIns said:

Hi Chris, I'm glad we're still your best option competitively. On the issue of the price increase, though you're OUR existing customer, you're new to Equity and it's Equity who set the rate for the policy you're on when we switched you across. It's testament to the scheme that even with the increase, which will be a reflection of the current market/risk environment, you're still getting something that's priced below all the others you tried.

On the subject of the windscreen excess, please see my previous comment about the windscreen excess. It is as you expected it to be - £75.

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Regards the windscreen excess, appreciate you confirming it’s a £75 excess, but you will need to issue a replacement certificate please that states £75, not the one you sent me that says £125. I don’t think it is unreasonable to ask for this to be confirmed in writing on an official document, just so there are no arguments if (and hopefully I won’t have to) I ever need a windscreen replacement. 

Thanks

Chris

Afternoon all

If it's a bog standard car with no mods why on earth would you use Chris Knott anyway? Surely there are about a million other insurers who would be cheaper. 

• Sponsor
5 minutes ago, Jigger72 said:

If it's a bog standard car with no mods why on earth would you use Chris Knott anyway? Surely there are about a million other insurers who would be cheaper. 

I think he answered that already...

...it was still the cheapest quote I've had...

...we also share our earnings with the club for every policy purchased by a member.

On 15/12/2017 at 12:31, ChrisKnottIns said:

Hi Chris, not unreasonable at all. Please could you PM me your postcode so I can find you on our system.

Thanks - you have a PM.

Chris