Tyre fitment to new Octavia vRS 230

12 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Anything that skoda can get massive discounts on, My 230 came with Pirrelli P XZeros

+1. And they do sweet naff all in anything under 6'C.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i had bridgestone potenzas on mine when i brought it. (used) i replaced them all with uniroyal rainsport 3 better smoother ride. i swear by them i had them on my 120d coupe and my jag xf 3.0 v6s. still getting used to front wheel drive again tho lol

On 13 December 2017 at 09:46, Ads230 said:

You are probably very aware that at 6c, even if you have fitted winter tyres, traction will be compromised and you must drive (as at all times) to the conditions of the road.  What does sweet naff all mean? Sliding  off the road or spinning, not cornering quite as well? 

Edited by Redboy

On 13/12/2017 at 09:46, Ads230 said:

P Zeros on my 245 from new (and I haven't detected a massive fall off in performance at low temperatures)

P-Zeros on 19" Xtremes are the only option on special versions vRS230 pre-FL and vRS245.

On basic vRS you can get several options. On the markets where summer tire is forbidden during winter time, you will most likely get a winter UHP tire.

On 12/17/2017 at 14:25, Redboy said:

i

You are probably very aware that at 6c, even if you have fitted winter tyres, traction will be compromised and you must drive (as at all times) to the conditions of the road.  What does sweet naff all mean? Sliding  off the road or spinning, not cornering quite as well? 

Yep - aware. Just like experimenting on clear roads to find the minimum limits...

Roads round my way are always mixture of greasy / muddy, and whatever compound the tyre is, it's still compromised. 'Sweet naff all' is my way of saying acceleration / cornering felt noticeably less confident, as the rubber compound isn't as pliable (and therefore, producing less friction) on the surface, so you wouldn't lean on it as much. Until recently, I did have some fairly worn front P Zeros (225/35 R19) - these have been replaced by the old P Zero rears, and have 2 new Goodyear Eagle F1 A3s (235/35 R19) which is a much better setup. Also, I had a wheel alignment which worked wonders for handling, so potentially this could also have affected the 'lack of confidence' in the P Zeros...?

11 hours ago, juan27 said:

P Zeros on my 245 from new (and I haven't detected a massive fall off in performance at low temperatures)

You're not trying hard enough... ;) 

-----

Do take my comments with a pinch of (road) salt... I'm on Devon country roads at present, and normal (i.e. road appropriate) driving feels more confident, with increased grip on all corners. Then again, this could all be in my mind - but a mate of mine (Fiat Punto T-Jet Stage 2 - yes, the one that failed NCAP) similarly has P Zeros, and claimed noticeably worse grip in wet / cold conditions this year, as compared to Conti Contact 6's he had on last year.

Each to their own. 

I confirm that P-Zero likes very warm tarmac. Performs a lot better when it is really warm, 30+ Celsius, sticks like a glue. It seeks for a good road temperature. Doesn't perform really bad when its colder outside, but you feel it is not as it should. Becomes noisy, stiff, actually telling you it's time for a long winter sleep. I don't look into the calendar, but when summer set becomes noisy, the first next weekend do the change.

1 hour ago, nidza said:

I confirm that P-Zero likes very warm tarmac. Performs a lot better when it is really warm, 30+ Celsius, sticks like a glue. It seeks for a good road temperature. Doesn't perform really bad when its colder outside, but you feel it is not as it should. Becomes noisy, stiff, actually telling you it's time for a long winter sleep. I don't look into the calendar, but when summer set becomes noisy, the first next weekend do the change.

What tyres do you recommend then please. 

I usually swap the tyres the car comes with straight away to Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 

Edited by Tim1631

In this country tbh you can’t fault uniroyal rainsports. Amazing in the wet and they seem to work in the dry with 500nm of torque and they are good value. If you are spending more then, vredestein ultrac vorti or really extravagant Michelin pilot sport 4 or the Goodyear eagle f1 assymetrix 3. 

My opinion only tho mate but have used all those tyre brands on a variety of cars all with good results. 

Goodyears wore out quick tho. 

Currently have winter tyres on now tho. Nokians 

Uniroyal Rainsports are decent, but nothing to write home about either and wear quickly too. Not in the same league as the latest stuff from Goodyear, Michelin, Continental etc. Unless I'm missing something, I simply cannot see an argument for the Rainsports. They are currently £3 a corner cheaper than Goodyear F1 AS3 on Blackcircles... 

Edited by ahenners

£121 to £146 is a little more than £3 lol tho depends on tyre size i did it at 235 35 19. in my opinion only you can really decide. we can give you our thoughts tho i would suggest when you do make your mind up go to f1auto centre. i had 225/40/18 £300 for all 4 corners. 

4 hours ago, Tim1631 said:

What tyres do you recommend then please. 

I usually swap the tyres the car comes with straight away to Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 

My winter set on 18" is also Goodyear, Ultragrip Gen-1. It was my choice above 850P, but both are top, can't make error with either. Check latest test, I was buying late 2016, maybe some new model has now been improved.

18 hours ago, Ads230 said:

You're not trying hard enough... ;) 

On dry roads at low temps I haven't found the P Zeros lacking in grip or poor under braking when pressing on.  I guess in worse conditions all I can say is I haven't noticed a massive fall off in grip compared to that of other tyres.  I had Michelin PS3s on my old Mk2 VRS.  

I'm trying to buy a new pair for the front (vRS 230) but blackcircles is only returning their unspecified 'quality option' choice. I've tried a few different postcodes to see if it was region specific but doesn't appear to be. Has anyone experienced this before? I currently have the factory P-zeros (220s) fitted, but I see the blackcircles number plate checked is stating 230s, which is consistent with what I've read above.

I guess I'll just have to do it the old-fashioned way and phone around the local garages....

29 minutes ago, sknab88 said:

I guess I'll just have to do it the old-fashioned way and phone around the local garages....

Why not do it the "old fashioned way" of looking at the side of the tyre and noting the numbers and searching based on this instead of registration plate?

• Like 1

Hi,

Sorry, I should have been clearer. From the thread above it seems that most go with the 230 width and the fact that this is also what is in the database means that's what I'd like to swap to rather than the 220s currently on the car.

FWIW, I'm not sure why 220s are on the car but I assumed that was the factory standard and users have improved on this as they've found more suitable tyres for the conditions. I may be wrong, but might the 230 width give better rim protection?

2 hours ago, sknab88 said:

Hi,

Sorry, I should have been clearer. From the thread above it seems that most go with the 230 width and the fact that this is also what is in the database means that's what I'd like to swap to rather than the 220s currently on the car.

FWIW, I'm not sure why 220s are on the car but I assumed that was the factory standard and users have improved on this as they've found more suitable tyres for the conditions. I may be wrong, but might the 230 width give better rim protection?

As already suggested, look on your sidewall.  No such tyre size as 220 or 230.  You need all the numbers - width, aspect ratio and diameter.  Minimum Speed and load rating are also essential.

Rim width is helpful in ascertaining what size tyre can be squeezed onto the rim.

Edited by brad1.8T

Sorry... again. I was sending abbreviated messages whilst trying to get two kids through the night time routine, I thought my shorthand was obvious but I appreciate I was the one writing it :-)

The tyres on my car at the moment are P-zeros. Their size is 225/35 R19 and I have the 19" xtreme wheels. However, when I look on the blackcircles website it lists my tyres as 235/35 (R19 etc).

If I was to accept the blackcircles suggested size I am only offered one option, which is their unspecified 'quality option'. The reason for me post was twofold; to see if there was anything unusual about the size blackcircles was proposing, and to understand from the group if I should be looking to go up a width size from 225 to 235 (although I accept I did say 220 and 230 respectively).

So, I can and will forget about the registration plate thing and just select from a list... do folk notice any difference going from 225 to 235? Any experience of the Avon ZZ5 (otherwise I'll pay the £30 premium per tyre and go for the Goodyear Asymmetric 3) ?

7 hours ago, sknab88 said:

Sorry... again. I was sending abbreviated messages whilst trying to get two kids through the night time routine, I thought my shorthand was obvious but I appreciate I was the one writing it :-)

The tyres on my car at the moment are P-zeros. Their size is 225/35 R19 and I have the 19" xtreme wheels. However, when I look on the blackcircles website it lists my tyres as 235/35 (R19 etc).

If I was to accept the blackcircles suggested size I am only offered one option, which is their unspecified 'quality option'. The reason for me post was twofold; to see if there was anything unusual about the size blackcircles was proposing, and to understand from the group if I should be looking to go up a width size from 225 to 235 (although I accept I did say 220 and 230 respectively).

So, I can and will forget about the registration plate thing and just select from a list... do folk notice any difference going from 225 to 235? Any experience of the Avon ZZ5 (otherwise I'll pay the £30 premium per tyre and go for the Goodyear Asymmetric 3) ?

I replaced my Contis fitted at OEM with Avon’s and the Fuel Economy dropped by 8-10mpg. Saving £60 on tyres I reckon has cost me £150 on fuel