Advice on very high mileage Octavia?

mikecsmith

So - I'm looking at getting a second hand Octavia Estate on a fairly low budget as a second car.

I've seen a 2012 Skoda Octavia 1.6 TDI CR advertised with 260k miles on the clock - it's basically done 50k miles a year for the past 5 years but it has a full Skoda service history with regular services every 20k miles at a registered dealer and based on the stamps in the book it looks like it's mostly been driven up and down the M1 between Northumberland and Greater London.

Checking the MOT online it's sailed through every MOT and has absolutely no advisories.

Am I mad to even be considering buying it?

Hi Mike,

Welcome to Briskoda!

I guess it all depends on the price, is it a big saving against same age same engine and spec, but with lower mileage?  

I'm guessing you might be looking on Autotrader?  Is this private, trade, or main dealer for sale? I find that a useful site to compare similar cars.

I don't have any experience with that engine.

At that sort of mileage you might be into stuff failing like alternator, wheel bearings, shock absorbers (dampers), Dual Mass Flywheel (if fitted).  Has any stuff like that been recorded in the service history?

Has at least one cambelt/pulleys/tensioners/water pump swap been carried out?  The service schedule should show you at what mileage/age intervals this and other pricy jobs must be done.

Others will hopefully offer you more thoughts/advice.  Have you asked the simple one of why they're selling it?  Has some lease or contract period just expired?

Or has the owner perhaps been warned of a strong likelihood of some big-ticket item failing soon?     Is there any leeway to negotiate on the price being asked?

If indeed it is to be a second car, and the low price is low enough to enable you to afford to fix any big-ticket failures that occur, then it could be a sound buy.

HTH

Richard.

I think that once you get past about 150k/7 years old, its all about condition. Fully serviced, 'low wear' journeys, kept to a good standard going by the MOT reports. On the surface it sounds like a reasonable car, but as Richard said, it will also depend on the price and how the car is 'in the flesh'.
Certainly wouldn't call you mad for considering it ;) My Mk2 estate is on 195k and apart from a slightly sloppy gearstick (oi oi :blink::D) it feels as good as octavias ive driven with 50 or 60k on the clock.

That's certainly a decent mileage! I would wonder about the DPF with such a mileage, but given it must have been used for long motorway runs as you say, it'll certainly have had a chance to get decent exhaust temps and for regen to occur.

As said, buy on condition and that it needs to be appropriately priced to be worthy of consideration, against something with more average miles.

16 hours ago, RichardatWakefield said:

I'm guessing you might be looking on Autotrader?  Is this private, trade, or main dealer for sale? I find that a useful site to compare similar cars.

Can't spot anything north of 200k on 'Trader, for a 1.6CR estate. This one has a paltry 189k on it.... ;)

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704104262600

I've always said that I'll take a high miles young car over a low mileage old car.

Younger car will have had less cold starts (the critical wear stage) so the rest of that mileage has been done at high speed and mostly warm.

Also the materials haven't aged, rubbers in suspension are still supple, metal in engine will have less fatigue with repeated heat up and cool down.

Rubber seals and all will be still good and not brittle.

So, for me, if it's cheap I'd be in.

I've owned many high milers that are only a few years old and they have been as good as new!! 

Yet I have had similarly priced older units that have lower miles and they have been disasters..

If the numbers stack up, and the thing runs well, buy it, map it and EGR off and enjoy a much more expensive looking car

• Like 1

What would worry me first off after all checks is the DSG,  a DQ200 7 speed, that might or might not have had the service campaign '34f7'.  

best find out, Skoda Dealership / Customer Services or the sticker in the boot if done.

& i would hope The Fix never got dome recently, or anytime. 

Is the windscreen OK, not chipped, and the tyres all good, matching, and everything else.

EDIT, 

I see it says 'Safety recall outstanding'   so that will be The Fix. 

Cheaky Barstewards at DVSA / DVLA,  Not a Safety Recall.  Just a VW Group Voluntary Recall, just to save their ar535.  

The DSG Should have been though as the car can lose drive....

But check and see on the DSG Service Campaign.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions 

Edited by AwaoffSki

Not seen it yet - seems to be clear of any damage but will check tomorrow.

I know it's not had the low NOx emissions fix as I checked servicing price on the vehicle with Skoda online and it offered me the fix free if charge as it hadn't already been done. 

• Like 1

Check on the DSG Service Campaign then.    You should have been told if that was outstanding.

DSG synthetic oil changed to mineral and a software update. Done free.

(& The Clutch Packs could be reaching end of life if still the originals.)

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us  

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions 

Edited by AwaoffSki

On 14/12/2017 at 17:54, AwaoffSki said:

....and the tyres all good, matching, and everything else.

A mixture. From the photos, it's Avon ZZ5s on the front axle (pretty reasonable) but with a Dunlop rear offside and a Pirelli rear nearside.

Not ideal, and a bit odd given it must have been a lease/company vehicle?

• Like 1