Car stalling when clutch put in

fox2319

I've had my car a few weeks now and all is well except for a couple of minor niggles and one that could be major. 

Every now and then, the car will stall when I'm changing gear. It's not stop/start. a few times I've been changing down when approaching a junction and travelling at around 15-20 mph, change down a gear whilst braking for the turn and the engine cuts out. Today, I was stopping at a traffic light and the engine stopped whilst I was stationary but still had my foot on the clutch. In total, it's happened maybe a half dozen times in the 800 miles I've driven in it so far.

Is this something that anyone else has experienced / heard of? 

That’s exactly (?) what used to happen to me in my Peugeot 2008 e-HDI.

It’s programmed to cut out when the speed drops below 20 kph..........but I often was in neutral by then, so I think it got a bit confused.

The real trouble was that although I didn’t have my foot anywhere near the clutch, it would often go BONG and a message would come up saying I needed to take my foot off the clutch first.

It certainly would have freaked out some people I know.

Aha!! So it is not my driving....... possibly..... Same problem in our 2016 Outdoor SE 2.0 Tdi.  When negotiating a roundabout , or similar junction, it stalls just when you want to pull away. Most embarrassing and liable to a bash up the back end if somebody is behind you.   Back to Skoda it would seem.

Edited by Herpet
typo

On 16/12/2017 at 22:06, fox2319 said:

I've had my car a few weeks now and all is well except for a couple of minor niggles and one that could be major. 

Every now and then, the car will stall when I'm changing gear. It's not stop/start. a few times I've been changing down when approaching a junction and travelling at around 15-20 mph, change down a gear whilst braking for the turn and the engine cuts out. Today, I was stopping at a traffic light and the engine stopped whilst I was stationary but still had my foot on the clutch. In total, it's happened maybe a half dozen times in the 800 miles I've driven in it so far.

Is this something that anyone else has experienced / heard of? 

That sounds like your car is equipped with the "Stop/Start" system!
All explained in the Handbook.

And I suggest that the first problem is becuse you are letting the revs drop too much before you change gear.

It is but I know that isn't the issue because:

1. It should never engage when the clutch is pressed

2. It's not a stall caused by pulling away without pressing the accelerator, it's even happened when changing down a great whilst approaching a junction. 

Besides, I've had stop / start on my last yeti for years

On 12/16/2017 at 22:15, fox2319 said:

I picked it up on 21st Nov, brand new. It's a 2.0D SE L Drive.

After reading the rest of the thread, I think it's an intermittent problem with the idle stabilisation control.

Hello Mr Fox

I had a similar issue with my new Yeti. 

A 2.0 Diesel, purchased after driving petrol Espaces for twenty five years. Approaching junctions or roundabouts the new engine would sometimes cut out. The diesel engine doesn't like rolling in too high a gear. I then adopted a different style whereby I knocked it out of the high gear when I was down to 25 or 30 and coasted in neutral. The junction at the bottom of my road with a cold engine caused me real embarrassment a few times and stalling when sailing onto a roundabout with the steering etc going all solid was scary.

However......after a couple of months of the engine loosening up and the change in my driving style, the stalling is now in the past. (although exiting my quiet road into busy traffic with a cold engine still makes me wait for a bigger gap - just in case!)

While the learning process was going on, I did switch off the Stop/Start which I was new to and which I thought might be a contributor. One thing at a time at my age.

Now, happily, everything car-wise works just fine, it's just me who is coming to a halt more often.

On 18/12/2017 at 13:50, Llanigraham said:

That sounds like your car is equipped with the "Stop/Start" system!
All explained in the Handbook.

And I suggest that the first problem is becuse you are letting the revs drop too much before you change gear.

Not saying that is the OP's issue, he doesn't think it is, but your later point has caught me out three times in the 30 months I've had the Yeti. Not many times I know but it took me by surprise each time and annoyed me as it is very abrupt.

My fault I know but I've had many diesels over the years and never stalled any of them. In fact with the older PD diesels it was virtually impossible to stall them and you could change up through all the gears without touching the throttle such was the pull!

I actually think that petrol engines are more flexible nowadays particularly because at lower revs they don't have the high compression of a diesel to overcome.

On 18/12/2017 at 20:02, Bexhillian said:

Hello Mr Fox

I had a similar issue with my new Yeti. 

The diesel engine doesn't like rolling in too high a gear.

certainly true of the 2 litre VAG diesel engine at slow speeds compared with a petrol engine ........ and can catch you out if you slow down to say near "walking pace" in third gear ........ the engine will stall with a thump and at that speed will not bump start, (rolling start) ....... you have to start the car using the key .......... my experience anyway

Edited by BillN_33

The engine doesn’t stall as such, it just stops at a certain low rev point to protect it. About 850 from memory

if you don’t have enough revs when letting up the clutch as the clutch bites the engine just stops.

Happened to me quite often in 2010 Yeti until I got used to it. Will also happen if you change up to soon.

So not a fault, just a feature you need to manage.

Edited by kenfowler3966
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, BillN_33 said:

certainly true of the 2 litre VAG diesel engine at slow speeds compared with a petrol engine ........ and can catch you out if you slow down to say near "walking pace" in third gear ........ the engine will stall with a thump and at that speed will not bump start, (rolling start) ....... you have to start the car using the key .......... my experience anyway

It happened to me last week in second gear. Going onto an island obscured by a bridge and so had slowed right up, saw it was clear, travelling too fast for first gear so stayed in second and slipped the clutch slightly and bang it stopped. As I said it took me by surprise as I was still moving and the car was lightly loaded. A 2.0 litre diesel shouldn't "stall" in those circumstances and previous cars wouldn't have done. Fortunately it wasn't too busy or I could have been put in danger. Not a characteristic I like in modern VWG diesels. 

• 1 year later...

I have just bought an used Yeti elegance 4x4, and facing the same issue, I know because may be of my driving as moving from Petrol to diesel, if not careful and changing from first to second gear, causing engine to stall. I am worried should I not damage any component of the vehicle.

It’s not stalling. You are going too slow for the gear. Once the revs hit the set minimum point the engine stops to protect itself.

Clearly if it stops in second it should have been in first. And when pulling away in first you have to slip the clutch enough to keep above the engine protection revolution setting.

I had this stalling problem, linked to the stop start, the gear selected is too high and the revs don't pick up quickly enough.

I had never driven one before and it took some getting used to. Just expect the unexpected.

13 hours ago, Aseem said:

I have just bought a used Yeti elegance 4x4, and facing the same issue, I know because may be of my driving as moving from Petrol to diesel, if not careful and changing from first to second gear, causing engine to stall. I am worried should I not damage any component of the vehicle.

Aseem

Ken Fowler suggests it is your driving mode.  I would suggest that it is the car, not you.  Since my original posting I have swapped my 2017 Yeti for an earlier model (2011 - reason had nothing to do with this problem) but I have never stalled in the same manner since.

The only obvious difference is that the first Yeti had a stop/start mechanism whereas the earlier model does not. Does that apply in your case Aseem?

Ken - Passed test in 1963 and have driven all sorts of vehicles since (including HGV's with need to double-declutch).  Never had this problem before. Also, wife had same problem and I wouldn't dare tell her what you said!!!

Regards

Herpet

1 hour ago, gumdrop said:

I had this stalling problem, linked to the stop start, the gear selected is too high and the revs don't pick up quickly enough.

I had never driven one before and it took some getting used to. Just expect the unexpected.

Gumdrop

I agree with you.  The problem is that 1st gear is too low for a 'running start' at, say, a roundabout and in 2nd we had the problem referred to.

Herpet

3 minutes ago, Herpet said:

Gumdrop

I agree with you.  The problem is that 1st gear is too low for a 'running start' at, say, a roundabout and in 2nd we had the problem referred to.

Herpet

This

I have had this problem a few times over the years - big heavy flywheel - 2000cc Diesel engine - have you ever tried bump starting the thing in 2nd gear after it has stalled - very difficult, have to start it on the key

I would imagine the modern emissions programs won’t allow the old diesel lugging type behaviour.  They are strangled these days......not like the old ‘tractors’.

14 hours ago, Ryeman said:

I would imagine the modern emissions programs won’t allow the old diesel lugging type behaviour.  They are strangled these days......not like the old ‘tractors’.

Exactly, modern diesels stop rather than lugging to protect themselves.

I had a few “stalls” when I first got my Yeti in 2010.

I soon learnt to keep the revs up and slightly slip the clutch to stop it bogging down and stopping.

Not driver error but you have to modify your previous  technique to stop it happening.

On 21/01/2019 at 17:14, kenfowler3966 said:

Exactly, modern diesels stop rather than lugging to protect themselves.

I had a few “stalls” when I first got my Yeti in 2010.

I soon learnt to keep the revs up and slightly slip the clutch to stop it bogging down and stopping.

Not driver error but you have to modify your previous  technique to stop it happening.

Thanks Ken.

yes, I have just shifted from a Petrol vehicle to Diesel and this problem was happening because of this. My observation, in petrol car, while changing from first to second gear, I would push the accelerator paddle when the clutch is fully released, however in Diesel I find, when clutch is still in process of releasing, I should push accelerator paddle. This approach is working fine, now the engine is not stalling .

I had this problem when I moved from my old 1.9 PD fabia to the yeti.  My impression is that the new VAG diesels are so knobbled to get through the current emissions regs without cheat devices that they have a narrower power band.  Get it slightly below that window and the torque falls of a cliff.  I find myself going up and down the gears more than I needed to with the old PD engine.