Buying an approved used Skoda Octavia - timing belt or chain

YouMadDog6

I’m currently in the process of buying a 63 plate mark 3 Skoda Octavia 1.4 tsi dsg 

i asked the dealer if the car has a timing belt or chain and he said a chain.. but when I went on the Skoda website live chat they asked a technician and they said it was a belt that should be changed every 5 years.. 

just wondering should I be asking the dealer to change the belt as it recommended it is done in less than 12 months? Or is that unreasonable? Just otherwise I will be forking out a few hundred when it’s due?

thanks

Edited by YouMadDog6

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst not familiar with the Skoda Approved specifics, in my experience unless a service is due within 3/6 months of the vehicle being inspected or sold, it's generally not carried out. Though with such a vital & costly service component, it's certainly worthy discussing options with the dealer - may be easier said than done though if they've already said it's a chain!

You would be better discussing with a Drug Dealer than a Car Sales Person, and the Drug Dealer might have trained as a Mechanic, 

the Sales Executives probably never trained even as washing machine repair persons, and could not change a washing machine or vacuum cleaner belt.

Discuss the Servicing needs with a Master Tech maybe, as a Workshop or Service Manager might have a SVQ in something other than Mechanical or Motor Engineering.

• 1 month later...