Skoda rapid heating not working

Hello I've got a rapid 1.6 tdi cr greentech se 63 plate. Turned the ignition on and I couldn't hear the fan kick in, the climatronic fan speed is going up and down but no air going into the car, does anyone know what would be the issue. 

Well today I phoned up skoda to see if the car is under warranty, found out it is and said I've got no heating. The earliest the car could get booked in would be middle of January where the warranty runs out. She told me to ring skoda assistance which is basically the AA. They came out checked alot of fuses to find out that fuse 39 (30a) was blown and started melting the fuse holder. 

IMG_20171219_131307.jpg

Edited by Guest

^^^ So was it simply a new fuse and fixed or further damage to the fuse holder and can't proceed??

Surely now the fault has been logged (in warranty) with the dealer they can fix under warranty? Not your fault they can't fit it in until a later date, did they say no it won't be fixed under warranty?

Edited by MickA
  • Like 1

The fault has been logged with then, the car is still under warranty and with them right now, got loan car off them for the time being. I believe it's more than just a fuse holder and fuse that will be replaced 

Right I have rung skoda today for an update and basically I have been told that the part that has gone is down to manufacturing defect and I won't get charged for the repair (even though I asked is the car under warranty and they have said yes) I will keep an update tomorrow when I have more information. 

On 28/12/2017 at 22:43, steelviper said:

Manual 

Had same problem in roomster mid December, only worked on 4.  So I ordered the part on eBay (about £6) and watched the YouTube video, took about 15 mins to fit (look at the roomster thread, video link is in thread), probably something similar for Fabia and Rapid.

Dealer thought it might be few hours labour, so well chuffed at the easy / cheap fix.  

the resistor unit is standard for small VW, Audi, seat and Skoda cars

You will find it easier if you press cable connector down and turn anti-clockwise to unclip and detach it.  Just change whole unit for £6. don’t bother to try soldering in a new resistor for that price.

Ours failed in the icy period, so I suspect ice / leaves blocked the vents and caused it to overheat.  

On 28/12/2017 at 22:29, steelviper said:
1 minute ago, steelviper said:

Sounds like same thing how easy is it to get to the part 

It depends on if you have climatronic or if you have manual heating controls as it changes on what resistor is used. 

Well my car has been in with skoda for nearly 4 weeks lol.  heater motor was the cause of why my fuse box went for a melt down  ("pun intended") they have replaced the heater motor, resistor which is different to the standard one, heater controller and fuse box but can't have car back till Saturday though. 

An interesting observation -

I have 2 cars, a Rapid 1.6dti and a MX5 mk3

The mazda (originally, and now back to normal after replacing the thermostat) warms up in about 3 miles on a cold day, and the heater works very well (it's a **very** good heater, good enough to be warm as toast on a cold day with the roof off and windows up). This is a 1.8 petrol, delivering about 34mpg at this time of year. NB the MX5 t'stat showed the classic signs of failure - no heat from the heater in cooler weather, only reaches full temp in traffic jams, engine temp drops on the m'way, that sort of thing)

The Rapid takes twice as many miles to reach temperature and to get the heater working well, around town where I get 50+ mpg. The more economically I drive it the longer it takes to warm up - tootling along the m'way on a wiff of throttle, and 70mpg, it takes 10 - 12 miles to warm up (unless I find some uphill bits!). If I tow the caravan, it warms up much more quickly - I get MX5 fuel consumption, and MX5 speed of warmup.

Coincidence? - I think not. I do think that the more economical the engine the longer its going to take to warm up (obviously the are other factors e.g. the coolant capacity) but I think you can see where I'm coming from. Maybe this is your perceived problem - not a problem at all.