2017 Rapid 1.2tsi 90 test drive ( advice please)

23 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Trading Standards did very little all these past decades while Arnold Clark built his company to be the biggest individual family owned Motor Group 

in Europe, and then when he became Sir Arnold Clark for services to business and charity even less if anything.

There have been decades of snide practices which continue after Sir Arnold's passing.

Once when the thought they had one over on me with a car ordered and deposit paid which they tried to withhold when months after the delivery date it turned out no car was ever ordered.

They had my Signatures on all the relevant papers, and their T&C's that suited what they though would have them keep the deposit.

Issue for them it was a English Contract, English Law, i signed in Scotland and would be sueing in a Scottish Court.

So deposit back, interest paid at the interest they charged for credit and a gesture payment for my troubles.

That was with no assistance from Trading Standards.

I used to love the Spoof Arnold Clark Websites that were constantly posted and back up as soon as taken down.

Not so many Youtube ones as there used to be.

Anyone could film one though, as this is daily in their Motor Group at Dealerships around the country.

sounds like I had a lucky escape from these Ranch Hands..I think Arnold Clark are a dreadful advert for the motor trade I cannot understand how they think they can continue with these practises as the internet is a powerful mechanism for exposing weasels.

I know trading standards have no real teeth nowdays, even my mate said their calls are fielded by citizens advice the majority of the time, thats the real reason Arnold Clarks are still stitching people up.- I personally believe that the likes of Syntner group who have just bought out the Car People are about to change the face of car dealerships in the future - if they truly follow their  "customer vision" ..

1 minute ago, camelspyyder said:

Truly sorry for putting you on to these cowboys, but for me in the past their Elgin branch was beyond reproach.

I knew you had  two genuinley good experiences  - sadly the Benton Seat Newcastle Branch were really obliging on the phone promising everything -then the mask slipped once the deposit was paid.

The other Branch in Scotland seemed  to be either telling the truth - or better Liars than Newcastle branch :)

Experiences like that though made me think very hard about buying a car unseen, a transcation that has to be based on above all total trust.

If I shook hands with these  people - I would count my fingers afterwards after my experience.

Anyway you still gave me the heads up on a very overlooked car in its class - the Toledo and the Rapid both great value cars - I think the extras on the Toledo won me over though and the drive in the Toledo was better than the rapid I drove - but in fairness the toledo was the 110 against the Rapid 90.

I would consider both cars again in the future - lets see if skoda bring out another generation Rapid.

My mate was Arnold Clarks personal Bodyguard but not been able to get in touch with him - maybe I will catch up with him  sometime at one of our military bashes and get the "inside story" on Big Arnold :)

On 10/01/2018 at 10:59, johnny cabbage head said:

I decided to buy a used one just under 3 yrs old for the wife, it was mint 13K fsh  and I even checked it over on VCDS before I bought it- then yesterday I bought another 17k FSH  Toledo  for my Daughter as her present  car was woefully undersized for someone carrying a baby and all the kit that you need.

So in conclusion - instead of Buying a 6 month old Toledo I decided to be less self indulgent and bought a used one for my wife and that allowed me to fund a used one for my daughter , thats the Bank of Dad closed now though as I only paid for her wedding last June !

My mate also commented that he would look into this practise as there was no durable cancellation correspondance sent to me which is a provision made by law in all distance selling . He said that AC had a bad name with consumer groups - No wonder with Weasel tricks like this- I had completley lost trust in them, this salesman couldnt lie in bed straight !

I know you had two positive experiences - maybe I bought from the wrong branch, but once I lose trust or detect bullsh*t I walk.- still my daughter and wife are both delighted with their toledos.

When I take my pension if Im still kicking around - I will probably treat myself to a new one - well pre reg if theres any on offer :)

If only I had known you were looking for used instead of new...

Just before Christmas I took mine off sale, had no interest in it, maybe it was the new car deals around?

Decided to keep it, however if I get an offer it's still for sale, only selling BTW as it gets little use.

2 hours ago, MickA said:

If only I had known you were looking for used instead of new...

Just before Christmas I took mine off sale, had no interest in it, maybe it was the new car deals around?

Decided to keep it, however if I get an offer it's still for sale, only selling BTW as it gets little use.

Sods Law Mick :crying: - I ended up buying two used ones over the course of the last week, my daughters got the SE Nav in ocean blue pearlescent and I bought a white Itech for the missus, both lovely cars low mileage FSH . I know the white one had been standing a while , but I jumped on the blue one as soon as it left the valet bay, as it was within ght price range and I had to shift my daughters car on as it had some  car park reversing damage that was being quoted as £800 to fix plus it needed tyres in the near future and had a months MOT left.

I have the wifes Huyundai I10 up for sale at the moment -only 24k from new FSH mint condition we bought it new, I would have put it in PX but my daughter said she would use it whilst her car went in for repair ...by which time I had bought the itech and we had a quote for £800 repair on the daughters so I did a PX on it- That left me with the i10 on the driveway. :) Things move slowly around xmas time..give it a try at the end of the month when people get paid .

5 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

I think the fact he needed a personal bodyguard tells us everything we need to know.

It was because his family members were kidnap targets along with himself .

Though Im sure he had p*ssed a fair few people off in his time if looking at the scottish consumer forums was anything to go by :)

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2018 at 10:59, johnny cabbage head said:

" Regardless of what the salesman is telling you over the phone- if you digitally sign those forms you will be bound by their conditions as you have been deemed to accept them, and the same with the Gap insurance as to decline them digitally  meant I was no longer able to continue with the order as their system voided  the transaction unless I accepted the insurance" .

so effectively the salesman  was lying to me trying to decieve me into unwittingly taking out GAP insurance along with giving my lifes details for them to sell on.

Trading standards advised me and I got my deposit back after sending a recorded signed for cancellation letter quoting the distance selling rules.

Surely being forced into GAP insurance is like being forced into PPI insurance - future claims for mis-selling?

Also giving life details to sell on - think data protection laws. Roll on GDPR in May, the fines will hurt!