OBD 11 service code question

susi

So at the last service there were two codes showing in the history:

P034100 Camshaft position sensor.

C111204 Haldex clutch pump.

But neither of these codes show as either current or history when I connect my own OBD 11 (https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00VUW2PB4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Does anyone know why that would be?

Intermittent faults that have subsequently cleared? That's not uncommon...

If the faults don't show on a current scan, then they don't currently exist - all you can do is watch to see if they appear again.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, susi said:

So those codes can "clear themselves" from being either current or history?

If they are intermittent they won't come back after being cleared (at the last service?).

If they are "minor" they will clear themselves if they don't re-appear after a few (not sure how many) starts when the fault isn't present.

• Thanks 1

The codes were showing during last week's service scan as:

P034100 Camshaft position sensor.   November 2017

C111204 Haldex clutch pump.  October 2016

I've scanned with OBD 11 repeatedly since I got the scanner in June 2017 and haven't seen either code ever.

That's what confuses me  ... How can they be visible during a service scan, when I haven't ever seen them myself.

9 minutes ago, susi said:

I've scanned with OBD 11 repeatedly since I got the scanner in June 2017 and haven't seen either code ever.

That's what confuses me  ... How can they be visible during a service scan, when I haven't ever seen them myself.

Could be codes from another customers vehicle. I've had advisories appear on my MOT's and when queried, was told, sorry forgot to clear that data while typing out your MOT.

If your OBD11 says no codes, then there are no codes.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, susi said:

I know VCDS has an "aggressive mode" that will show more fault codes than a basic OBD II scan, maybe the service scan is "more aggressive" than the scan with your own scanner?

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, MoggyTech said:

Could be codes from another customers vehicle. I've had advisories appear on my MOT's and when queried, was told, sorry forgot to clear that data while typing out your MOT.

If your OBD11 says no codes, then there are no codes.

A good thought. But I have a snapshot of the codes and the mileage is included - it matches my vehicle's mileage.

18 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

I know VCDS has an "aggressive mode" that will show more fault codes than a basic OBD II scan, maybe the service scan is "more aggressive" than the scan with your own scanner?

It could be.....

• 4 weeks later...

So someone has told me (no idea if this is true), that OBD II only picks up a realtively small number of codes. This means that many codes just won't show up.

Can anyone comment on whether this is true?

32 minutes ago, LightRain said:

VAG specific codes won't always have a corresponding OBD2 code, so yes, some will never appear on a generic OBD2 tool.

But we aren't talking about a generic OBD2 tool, we are talking about OBDEleven which has VAG specific codes. 

As for it picking up only certain codes, I'm not too sure I believe that. It's capable of reading the controllers fully - for faults, adaptations, coding settings etc. It can pick up far more than a generic tool would.

Edited by ahenners
  • Thanks 1

Customer specific codes should still show up in a generic OBD2 scanner as a U or P-code but without a description.

However, it is possible than some diagnostic codes are not shown to a generic scanner...

e.g. if there is a something that an OEM wants to monitor so they can collect information but doesnt want DTCs pinging at all the dealers .

However, I wouldnt expect the codes from the OP are something that should be hidden so normally they should be found.

If the codes is no longer present it will clear itself after 40-drive cycles if I'm not wrong which would be 10-20 days for most people (depending on how many times you start & drive your car)

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ahenners said:

But we aren't talking about a generic OBD2 tool, we are talking about OBDEleven which has VAG specific codes. 

As for it picking up only certain codes, I'm not too sure I believe that. It's capable of reading the controllers fully - for faults, adaptations, coding settings etc. It can pick up far more than a generic tool would.

Ahh damn it. I read OBD II, and didn't remember that OBD11 was a thing.

Sorry for the confusing reply.

• Thanks 1