Tonights Tea.............

Auric Goldfinger

11 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Last night's was "Mash Direct haggis bites" and Co-op diane sauce. Conclusions:-

1) The Northern Irish can't make haggis.

2) The Co-op can't make a diane sauce. I'm not really a skilled sauciere and I could do better!

Ken- I live in the wastelands of the middle of England, where there's plenty of foreign food on sale- as long as it's not properly made black pudding /Haggis /sliced sausage or mutton pies. ( The pies were made traditionally of mutton, as in the old clearance days, sheep were a-plenty).

So my conclusions, - the English can't make decent Haggis/black pudding .Their efforts at sliced sausage are a joke and the only mutton in the land has been elected to Parliament. I'd suggest the English version would make a better pie , as she's a bit more mature. 

10 hours ago, VWD said:

So my conclusions, - the English can't make decent Haggis/black pudding .

How very dare you? :biggrin: What you're not taking into account is, we don't WANT to make Haggis. And we have some of the best black pudding in the world, made from various outlets in the North and North West. Anything south of Nottinghamshire can be considered foreign. :D

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bignij said:

How very dare you? :biggrin: What you're not taking into account is, we don't WANT to make Haggis. And we have some of the best black pudding in the world, made from various outlets in the North and North West. Anything south of Nottinghamshire can be considered foreign. :D

Bury Blacks ......MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm            BURP!!

Not forgetting Carrs of Bolton for Pies, puddings and pasties

** other black puddings, pies, puddings, pasties, pie makers and towns are available **

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2018 at 11:07, KenONeill said:

Last night's was "Mash Direct haggis bites" and Co-op diane sauce. Conclusions:-

1) The Northern Irish can't make haggis.

2) The Co-op can't make a diane sauce. I'm not really a skilled sauciere and I could do better!

I haven't had haggis in a long while, the last time I had it was in a pub overlooking Tummel valley in Scotland, Haggis neeps & tatties which was very nice indeed.

We're having a blast from the past meal for tea tonight! fishfingers, chips & mushy peas.:biggrin:

13 hours ago, KenONeill said:

@VWD - Well, Charles Macleod, WJ Macdonald, Macleod & Macleod and Alex France all make Stornoway black pudding, and at least one of them will sell complete puddings by mail order.

Read more at: https://www.stornowaygazette.co.uk/news/help-keep-stornoway-black-pudding-real-1-119811

Ken- I don't want to have to mail order Haggis/ beef Lorne or white/black pudding. Or mutton pies  ( so-called as the original recipe was from sheep, culled from the glens, where absentee landlords kept the tenant farmers in poverty. . ).

I'd like to buy it from local shops, where folks from most parts of the eastern side of the EU  can buy their local treats.

1 hour ago, VWD said:

Ken- I don't want to have to mail order Haggis/ beef Lorne or white/black pudding. Or mutton pies  ( so-called as the original recipe was from sheep, culled from the glens, where absentee landlords kept the tenant farmers in poverty. . ).

I'd like to buy it from local shops, where folks from most parts of the eastern side of the EU  can buy their local treats.

You could always move to somewhere on the North West Coast mainland close to SKYE, and live on local offal scraps.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Spotted this little beauty outside our window this Morning.  Looks like thats Tea sorted.

New potatoes or Chips  :thinking:

IMG_1594.jpg

New potatoes in garlic butter for the win. :biggrin:

Rainbow trout with rice & stir fry for tonights tea for us.

Thursday - Hot boiled ham with mash and carrots.

Sat and Sun lunch, lentil soup so thick I could stand the spoon up in it cold, made with the resultant stock

Sun tea - Cold boiled ham with beans and chips.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2018 at 08:52, lancpudn said:

Tonights tea is going to be Spatchcock chicken with some roasties & veg,  I shall be making a hearty chicken soup from the carcass & stock.

Every chicken we cook throught the year and the Christmas turkey gets that treatment. But we cool the stock off and keep ,with a bit of meat in soup bags in the freezer, till we want a pot of soup.

My favorite is a few sections of oxtail with a soup casserole mix ( complete with small potatoes halved ) ,lots of stock( cubes/stockpots) and simmered till meat comes off bone.

Brunch- take 100g of ox/beef kidney cut small. Microwave on 50% for a few minutes. Meanwhile in a saucepan, melt some marg/butter (for the wealthy) and fry a couple of decent sized mushrooms ( breakfast ones do best). Add a dollop of Soy, chilli flakes and ground black pepper to taste and allow to fast simmer with a lid on for a fw minutes. By this time, the kidney is partially cooked, with a bit of juice. Add to pan. Bring back to boil and add a couple of tablespoons of tinned chopped tomatoes with a dollop pf Worcester sauce.

The addition of other herbs/spices etc can be experimented with.

Add to a bowl, and enjoy.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, VWD said:

Every chicken we cook throught the year and the Christmas turkey gets that treatment. But we cool the stock off and keep ,with a bit of meat in soup bags in the freezer, till we want a pot of soup.

My favorite is a few sections of oxtail with a soup casserole mix ( complete with small potatoes halved ) ,lots of stock( cubes/stockpots) and simmered till meat comes off bone.

Brunch- take 100g of ox/beef kidney cut small. Microwave on 50% for a few minutes. Meanwhile in a saucepan, melt some marg/butter (for the wealthy) and fry a couple of decent sized mushrooms ( breakfast ones do best). Add a dollop of Soy, chilli flakes and ground black pepper to taste and allow to fast simmer with a lid on for a fw minutes. By this time, the kidney is partially cooked, with a bit of juice. Add to pan. Bring back to boil and add a couple of tablespoons of tinned chopped tomatoes with a dollop pf Worcester sauce.

The addition of other herbs/spices etc can be experimented with.

Add to a bowl, and enjoy.

Excellent recipe.:cool:

• 3 weeks later...

lanc- got an amendment to that.In a small frying pan, with a drizzle of oil-  Take one slice of smoked cooking bacon( about 1/2 inch wide and about 3 " long, cut into 1/4 inch bits. Fry in a little oil. Then add about 100g/4 oz ox/beef kidney, cut small. Add a few mushrooms cut small (to taste). Put the lid on the pan and allow to produce a sauce. Add some light Soy sauce and simmer for a while. Add some tomato puree / a tablespoon of chopped tomatoes and a dollop of Worcester sauce, with a few bits of chili seasoning, and some ground black pepper. Simer for a few minutes with the lid on, and then remove the lid to reduce stock.  Serve on a plate, once stock reduced to thick gravy. A nice addition is a spoon of baked beans, and for a SPECIAL, add a fried egg.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, VWD said:

lanc- got an amendment to that.In a small frying pan, with a drizzle of oil-  Take one slice of smoked cooking bacon( about 1/2 inch wide and about 3 " long, cut into 1/4 inch bits. Fry in a little oil. Then add about 100g/4 oz ox/beef kidney, cut small. Add a few mushrooms cut small (to taste). Put the lid on the pan and allow to produce a sauce. Add some light Soy sauce and simmer for a while. Add some tomato puree / a tablespoon of chopped tomatoes and a dollop of Worcester sauce, with a few bits of chili seasoning, and some ground black pepper. Simer for a few minutes with the lid on, and then remove the lid to reduce stock.  Serve on a plate, once stock reduced to thick gravy. A nice addition is a spoon of baked beans, and for a SPECIAL, add a fried egg.

That sounds damn good to me. I shall give that a try.:biggrin:

A friend sent me this recipe which looks really tasty.  http://hostthetoast.com/guinness-beef-stew-with-cheddar-herb-dumplings/

Edited by lancpudn
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Skodaboy1983 said:

Not got a lot in due to the adverse weather, so Haggis it is for me tonight.

Davy

Yum:) Sounds good to me, It's quite a while since I've had Haggis.

We're having rainbow trout with herby potato wedgies & broccoli for tea.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, VWD said:

Love your recipes there !  Especially appreciate when recipes say "a few" of this, and "some" of that !

Also amused that you're in Nuneaton !!  Sounds like, that in your gaff - there's lots of eatin' ! 

Thanks anyway - and to @lancpudn for this Guinness stew link - though I'll probably use Beamish or Murphys !!!   (creamier !)

Edited by Dithane