Really terrible movies with odd hero cars

mac11irl

Swmbo is at a wedding. Im on overnight daddy day care duty until she gets back tomorrow, hopefully to an unburned down house and a not screaming spuderick.

So, theres pretty much nothing on tv, 

But a long scroll through the listings and on "movies4men+1" is "Drive Hard" its a crap 2014 john cusack filum.

The hero car being "driven hard" at the start is a "mk1" hyundai getz automatic. I had a manual getz, back in the day, bought new by my mammy, and i bought from her at 2yrs old. i loved that car, it was a ridiculously capable little thing, but.. apparently in the hands of "an  ex racing driver turned driving instructor" in Australia, it can out drive police cars, and across loose beach sand. And its seemly bullet proof... 

Auto box seems odd though, hes doing a lot of gear changes during that first chase.

Also, it seems nissan pathfinders have tyres filled with highly flammable hydrogen gas...

... Or the movies where the artic truck (petrol tankers usually) can catch up with white sports cars and run them off the road. A windy road. Where the sports car is just about able to hold on.

Can't remember name of any specific movie - they've all congealed into one blobby tv-mini-series-movie in my noggin.

A Quinn Martin Production. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Dithane said:

... Or the movies where the artic truck (petrol tankers usually) can catch up with white sports cars and run them off the road. A windy road. Where the sports car is just about able to hold on.

Can't remember name of any specific movie - they've all congealed into one blobby tv-mini-series-movie in my noggin.

A Quinn Martin Production. 

Are you thinking of "Duel" perhaps. Steven Spielberg's directing debut.

Not a sports car but the Plymouth Valiant's little straight 6 seemed completely incapable of outrunning the tatty old Peterbilt tanker truck that's terrorising Dennis Weaver.

• Like 1

There's a 1983 sci-fi film of which I am a serious fan, called Spacehunter: Adventures In The Forbidden Zone.

It actually has a plethora of now big-name talent, in both the cast members and the production crews, who since went on to be responsible for some of the biggest films in modern history!

But in this flick, the main hero bimbles about this distant alien planet (which looks exactly like Moab, Utah) in a thing he calls a Scrambler.

It's a 4x4 in a sort of Mad Max junk style, with slide-back roof, big WW2 style balloon-ish tyres and a hexagonal turret on the back with a rocket launcher on it. It later resurfaced in a few episodes of Knight Rider, heavly remodelled, as one of the more memorable KITT's Nemesis type villain-vehicles.

It was actually built on a 1982 Dodge Ram pickup frame.

If ever I become stupidly rich, I will have my own replica built for me, as it always looked so cool when I was young... well, younger, anyway.

The film is also notable for other vehicles like the big-ass tractor-thing with a gigantic plough on the front, the pair of motorcycles with massive roll cages and rotary rocket launchers, the Sail-Train which is basically a moving set-piece for one scene... and for the rather cool use of stunt hang-gliders with skilled pilots, to kidnap sexy Earth girls so teh hero has someone to go rescue!!

• Haha 1

Anyone remember 'Two-lane black top'? James Taylor and Dennis Wilson (Beach boys) starred in the film with Warren Oates.

Two-Lane Blacktop

"Horror" films 'Christine' and 'The Car' are good for a laugh.

A subtitled 'Go Trabi Go' is a surprisingly good comedy and 'Love The Beast' also might not qualify as a sufficiently bad car movie.

Gone in 60 Seconds (the original) is a no plot movie (that I do like though) but the star car is a very basic version of the obese 72 Mustang,  I reckon a Mach 1 or a Boss would have been half decent but that yuk yellow Eleanor deserved to be wrecked.

Herbie.

My Dad had 3 or 4 Beetles despite always referring to them as POS cars and complaining about how crap they were. He said the only reason he had them was that the British cars of the same price were even worse.

4 hours ago, Aspman said:

Herbie.

My Dad had 3 or 4 Beetles despite always referring to them as POS cars and complaining about how crap they were. He said the only reason he had them was that the British cars of the same price were even worse.

Rubbish car pop quiz:

What did the bad guys drive in "The Love Bug"?

16 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

Rubbish car pop quiz:

What did the bad guys drive in "The Love Bug"?

Is "Thorndyke Special" close enough, or do I need to watch the film again to remember what it really was?

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 14:30, Ttaskmaster said:

There's a 1983 sci-fi film of which I am a serious fan, called Spacehunter: Adventures In The Forbidden Zone.

It actually has a plethora of now big-name talent, in both the cast members and the production crews, who since went on to be responsible for some of the biggest films in modern history!

But in this flick, the main hero bimbles about this distant alien planet (which looks exactly like Moab, Utah) in a thing he calls a Scrambler.

It's a 4x4 in a sort of Mad Max junk style, with slide-back roof, big WW2 style balloon-ish tyres and a hexagonal turret on the back with a rocket launcher on it. It later resurfaced in a few episodes of Knight Rider, heavly remodelled, as one of the more memorable KITT's Nemesis type villain-vehicles.

It was actually built on a 1982 Dodge Ram pickup frame.

If ever I become stupidly rich, I will have my own replica built for me, as it always looked so cool when I was young... well, younger, anyway.

The film is also notable for other vehicles like the big-ass tractor-thing with a gigantic plough on the front, the pair of motorcycles with massive roll cages and rotary rocket launchers, the Sail-Train which is basically a moving set-piece for one scene... and for the rather cool use of stunt hang-gliders with skilled pilots, to kidnap sexy Earth girls so teh hero has someone to go rescue!!

I can vaguely remember that one.......there was another one around the same time with George Pepperd and Jan MIcheal Vincent I think called Damnation Alley. Loved the trucks they had in that, with it's triangular wheel arrangement

1 hour ago, octyal said:

I can vaguely remember that one.......there was another one around the same time with George Pepperd and Jan MIcheal Vincent I think called Damnation Alley. Loved the trucks they had in that, with it's triangular wheel arrangement

Yup - That along with things like Metalstorm and the entire fleet of Megaforce vehicles!!

Things like Herbie aren't exactly 'odd' per se...  just a VW Beetle, really.

5 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Is "Thorndyke Special" close enough, or do I need to watch the film again to remember what it really was?

Thorndike Special was its movie identity yes.

It was a very rare US built Apollo GT with the same alloy V8 that Rover used. Only about 90 were built by 5 or 6 different companies over a 10 year period from '62.

In fact, the Thorndike was played by 2 Apollos - one of the pair has been restored:

http://mycarquest.com/2013/11/the-thorndyke-special-was-an-apollo-gt-in-disguise-and-it-is-a-barn-find.html