Squeaks, Rattles and Buzzes?... Try this!

TGR

I've read many a comment on here that people complain of rattly sunroofs or whatever, well my sunroof did recently start to 'rattle' a bit now and then so I simply wiped some silicone lubricant over all the mating edges, surfaces and seals and it has solved the problem.

What many might hear as a rattle could actually be the slip-sticking of the dry/grippy rubber seals around such openings as door seals and sunroof seals as the car body very slightly distorts under driving loads and torsions or vibrations. Lube them up with some silicone spray, I got mine from Halfords, just their own-brand silicone aerosol lubricant, sprayed into a clean rag (so you don't spray it all over the place) and then wiped onto all the rubber seals and mating surfaces. Sorts it right out. Did all my door seals as well just for good measure and car is pleasantly rattle free after over 5k miles so far. 

When my car was new I noticed there was some kind of white lubricant on the sunroof runners and i suspect as this wears or washes off, the rubber seals just get sticky. So I imagine periodic lubing will keep some, if not all, niggley noises at bay.

Yetis were similar with sunroof noises, and door seal noises. I treated  the seals on the sunroof and doors with Gummi Pfledge,result no noises in 4 years of ownership, with annual reapplication.

https://www.micksgarage.com/d/dash-rubber-and-plastics/products/150332/gummi-pflege-protects-rubber-from-wear-and-keeps-rubber-elastic

Edited by Kenny R
  • Like 1

Yep, the Einszett Gummi Pflege Stift has done the job for years and also stops the doors freezing closed when the temperature drops overnight. 

It's also a good choice of words to say four times in a tongue twister when you've been drinking.   

I had a Polo that was terrible for creaks and rattles and I used silicone spray and made no difference. The benefits of this spray are obvious but if the car is junk, a can of spray won’t make a difference. Got a rattle free Octavia now. Can at the ready should I need it! 

• Like 1