engine bay cleaning.

Has anyone used a pressure washer to clean their engine bay? 

With all of the salt on the road atm and general dust in there I'm thinking of giving it a bit of a clean; seen some of the videos on Youtube but not entirely convinced I should be using a pressure washer :blink:

Any advice?

• Haha 1

Never used a pressure washer in the engine bay, and never would.

There is just too many electrical connections under modern car bonnets, it’s asking for trouble.

I would seriously just clean it by hand.

It may take a while, but it’s a lot more safer.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Damo said:

Never used a pressure washer in the engine bay, and never would.

There is just too many electrical connections under modern car bonnets, it’s asking for trouble.

I would seriously just clean it by hand.

It may take a while, but it’s a lot more safer.

That's what I was thinking. Most of the videos have people plastic bagging the electrical components, seemed a bit dodgy like hence the reason for post - any successful instances of cleaning?

• Like 1

Everything in the engine bay is water proof. Pressure wash is no problem.

I do wash the engine bay with pressure washer twice a year, something I have done with all my cars, and have never had any problems.

58 minutes ago, Browny said:

I’ve cleaned mine with an APC and rinsed with a hose on the ‘sprinkler’ setting. 

This sounds like a better idea than blasting it with a pressure washer at force :)

• Like 2

Calm it with Under bonnet cleaning and the use of Steam. Heat, Detergents and removing the protective coatings that can have alloys corroding and looking terrible.

Think about what you doing.   Yes things are waterproof to a degree, bit not like a Winterized or Waterproofed offroader.

Then think of H20 in places in winter weather and freezing or just not getting dried out, and un-lubricated metals that then get corroded.

• Like 1

I’ve gone round the edges of my engine bays quite happily.

Very carefully.

Obviously a diesel is easier than a petrol.

I just lift the lid and use muc-off type solvent around the edges and soapy sponge elsewhere then blast gently - from a good distance. You’re safe on the underside of the lid and some other places. Just don’t squirt on the plugs, ignition and battery. The rest is easy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

I’ve gone round the edges of my engine bays quite happily.

Very carefully.

Obviously a diesel is easier than a petrol.

I just lift the lid and use muc-off type solvent around the edges and soapy sponge elsewhere then blast gently - from a good distance. You’re safe on the underside of the lid and some other places. Just don’t squirt on the plugs, ignition and battery. The rest is easy.

Muc-Off is bio-degradable and not a solvent! Wouldn’t be using a solvent on an Aluminium or Carbon Fibre framed Mountain Bike.

• Like 1

There are lots of wires, plugs and connectors in my engine bay. I used MUCOFF cycle cleaner to remove general dirt from the plastics and grass etc from the visible ac condenser. sprayed brushed and gently rinsed with water, brushes and a garden hose (cautiously).

Looked much better and caused no problems.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2018 at 19:56, courty said:

Has anyone used a pressure washer to clean their engine bay? 

With all of the salt on the road atm and general dust in there I'm thinking of giving it a bit of a clean; seen some of the videos on Youtube but not entirely convinced I should be using a pressure washer :blink:

Any advice?

LMFAO whilst RAOTF with sides hurting

• Haha 1

Rightly or wrongly. I use the snow foam run off that collects in the windscreen wiper recess / gutter and agitate it with a brush and then a gentle rinse. Finished off with r303 sealant. Perhaps 2 - 3 times a year. Looks great, never hurt owt yet. :dull:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, courty said:

It's ROFL isn't it?

Otherwise surely it's got to be RAOTFWSH; which is just silly. :D

WTF? Λ  :biggrin:

On 03/01/2018 at 16:55, courty said:

It's ROFL isn't it?

Otherwise surely it's got to be RAOTFWSH; which is just silly. :D

RAOTF. Rolling around on the floor. He’s already mentioned that he’s laughing his f’ing ass off. B)

I have heard of people using pressure washers on a engine bay but its not something I would recommend at all...

Far safer method is to get some decent APC/Degreaser, a brush, a couple of old MF towels and a trim dressing.

Start from the out side and liberally spray APC on all the surfaces and allow to dwell for a couple of minutes, then agitate using a soft detailing brush then rinse with the open end of the hose, repeat if required then dry using the MF towels.

Dress all the clean plastics and if you feel the need polish the jubilee clips etc, job done.

Not a Skoda but a recent one which was proper mingingpixlr_20171119123840823.thumb.jpg.4453ec97ab6364a1fa31ad85fb179031.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Bignij said:

RAOTF. Rolling around on the floor. He’s already mentioned that he’s laughing his f’ing ass off. B)

10 hours ago, Bignij said:

I gathered that. It's called sarcasm. I don't think there's an acronym for that though. Maybe just 'S' ;)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, courty said:

I gathered that. It's called sarcasm. I don't think there's an acronym for that though. Maybe just 'S' ;)

I know, but I have a high pedantry threshold which can't be turned off. :sadsmile:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dg360 said:

Why bother cleaning the engine bay at all?  Beyond wiping up any spills and removing any leaves etc, it's just asking for trouble.

It just looked dirty. 

It's all done now anyway, used muc off and a bowl of water with a damp cloth. 

I did mine few days ago... previous owner did’t have OCD like i do... :biggrin:

Few brushes, APC and pressure washer

Only cover ECU and fusebox...

426740F4-253C-464A-9AC7-7E8AC67713A9.jpeg

Edited by lux4zg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, lux4zg said:

I did mine few days ago... previous owner did’t have OCD like i do... :biggrin:

Few brushes, APC and pressure washer

Only cover ECU and fusebox...

426740F4-253C-464A-9AC7-7E8AC67713A9.jpeg