electrical problem

wallabean

had a few warning light issues just before Christmas in my 56 plate roomster , it started with the abs , handbrake warning light coming on , then a loss of power steering , then the nsf cornering light staying on , the rear wiper working when it was turned off and the radiator fans running . the cornering light and  the wiper operated with out the ignition on . had to disconnect the battery to stop them functioning ...

20171217_133303.jpg

20171217_133314.jpg

when the battery was reconnected an puff  of smoke was spotted , couldn't  really say what caused the problem , the loom was clipped into all it mounting points as it should be , but we think water has run off the scuttle panel  onto the strut tops and run down the inner wing and the loom was just sat in a puddle on top of the chassis leg , non of the wires had any green corrosion on them . it could of been a lot worse . skoda wanted £3500.00 + vat for a new loom

20171217_174950.jpg

20171218_202222.jpg

20171220_184751.jpg

Morning Wallabean,

Ouch that looks messy, not come across that happening before, surely something has to have been flexing or rubbing the loom to do this damage?

Am familiar with this within the hatch-to-body loom's gaiter.

So are you fixing this yourself, or have you got a good auto-electrician onto the case?   I'd have thought one of those could sort that for you at sensible money.

And as yours is one of the earliest Roomsters, you may have done us all a service by flagging this up.

Be interested to hear how this gets resolved for you, and how much it costs to put right.

Richard.

hello

its sorted now , the scuttle trim doesn't go all the way to the wings , stops about 2 inches short at each end .because off this water runs down the screen onto the scuttle onto the inner wing tops down the inner wing onto the chassis leg where the loom sits. I work in a vw dealer and one of the techs fixed it for a reasonable ££ and a bottle of disaronno ...  

• Like 1

There was a case a while back on the forum ,where a similar thing happened ,and it was put down to a water logged loom. Over spill  from the windscreen wash bottle was the suspect,and since then I keep sponge packed around the filler cap to collect any splashes.

I have always checked the drain holes in the wings are clear by pouring a milk bottles worth of water down them at each service I do,and that,s only because I had car with the car's on board computer mounted in the scuttle and if the holes became blocked it would write of the unit at great expense.

Still might revisit this and look under the bonnet tomorrow and double check things are draining away properly.

If it's like the Mk1 Fabia/9N Polo arrangement, there is a loom bunch on each side going through a grommet in the bottom of the 'water box', so even if drains are perfectly clear, the water-tightness of the grommet is tested every time it rains (or you use screenwash) as the grommets are in the stream of water on its way to the drains at each end.  Not a design that I would be proud of, unless planned obsolescence was a design criterion.

Edited by Wino