DPF questions (I know)

58 minutes ago, MachoGrande said:

Well folks, this gets stranger and stranger!

Thanks to a site called cazana.com I was able to check the history of when it was last sold to a new owner. At that time it was £8,995 and it had done 149,000 miles. That was in October! Between then and mid-December it gained nearly £3k in price and lost a little under 100,000 miles. It's been clocked! How convenient that it hasn't had its first MOT yet and there's no MOT history.

Suffice to say, I will be getting some advice on how to proceed with this, legally.

But at least it shows the DPF's "age" is about right for the correct mileage!

Hopefully there will be a paper trail, someone needs a slap on the wrist that's for sure.

I've done some digging! I've managed to track down the original owners - a taxi company in Staffs... They traded it in somewhere (they're going to check and phone me back) in September and it ended up at an independent car dealer in W. Yorkshire. They sold it in November with 148k on the clock - which they have confirmed to me on the phone (and I have a recording). They can't tell me who they sold it to, but I suspect it was the trader I bought it from and I suspect it was this trader that did the clocking.

Overall I have a good trail of where the car has been and I have some documents and photos to prove it. Could be a very interesting conversation tomorrow when I present the evidence to them!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MachoGrande said:

Well folks, this gets stranger and stranger!

Thanks to a site called cazana.com I was able to check the history of when it was last sold to a new owner. At that time it was £8,995 and it had done 149,000 miles. That was in October! Between then and mid-December it gained nearly £3k in price and lost a little under 100,000 miles. It's been clocked! How convenient that it hasn't had its first MOT yet and there's no MOT history.

Suffice to say, I will be getting some advice on how to proceed with this, legally.

But at least it shows the DPF's "age" is about right for the correct mileage!

Wow it's a good job your on the ball ! Some poor trusting soul could have got really ripped off . As for them taking some money of you for the 500 miles nah full refund in my book then run away !

@wyx087 if you plan to keep the car for more than 5 years it's highly recommended to change oil per year or max 10k miles. Which comes first.

LL kills many components long term. I was talking to mechanics serving VAG and many engines have worn components due to long life oil intervals.

As for the VAG app it reads the data from the ECU,no logic it's not equal to service programs that reads the same source via same OBD.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, TTodorov said:

@MachoGrande lucky that you live in good country. If someone here buys it...it's his forever, can't sue or chase anyone.

Very happy to read that you figure it out. So at the end how many total actual miles it has for this DPF to reach the level 75%?

I estimate that the car has done around 150,000 miles. Perhaps a little more.

16 hours ago, firefox2 said:

Wow it's a good job your on the ball ! Some poor trusting soul could have got really ripped off . As for them taking some money of you for the 500 miles nah full refund in my book then run away !

If they even try this, you could just say "Well, seeing as you can manage to remove 100,000 miles off the clock, I'm sure another 500 won't be difficult". 

@MachoGrande I would inform the police of your intentions in case things get nasty when you return. If the dealer is in to this sort of cr@p, what else are they up to? Ringers etc? Swine...

• Like 1

its worth stating that a lot of clocking nowadays  is done by private owners returning an overmileage car at the end of a PCP to avoid penalties

The car then goes for auction, and it wont have had a MOT so there wont be any indication that the mileage is wrong.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, MeteorOcty said:

Have I read that right....283,000 miles?? Surely not the original DPF?

Either way, yes, looks like the dpf needs replacement.

thank you, so this means it is already bad? or i should expecting it soon to go bad? oil ash residue at 116% doesnt sound good :D is there any way it will clean itself with driving on high revs, agressively? or there is no chance to prolong its lifetime?

No chance you can fix that with a quick blast! Will either need taking to a cleaner or a new dpf. If you go for a cleaning service it would be great to hear how it goes.

I calculated mine should hit 100% at 231,000 miles so fits with how long yours has lasted.

2 hours ago, amwphotos said:

No chance you can fix that with a quick blast! Will either need taking to a cleaner or a new dpf. If you go for a cleaning service it would be great to hear how it goes.

I calculated mine should hit 100% at 231,000 miles so fits with how long yours has lasted.

Hey im a resident of Slovakia (eastern block) so an MOT test cost me +20€ and i can literally bring a bucket of rust with two licence plates and i will pass ... so a total delete cut out thing is what im thinking about... trust me i have a fresh MOT on a 3.5 litre swaped bmw e30 deift car originally 1.8 but the cleaning is an option as well but a lot of fake car mechanics with a questionable quality are here as well so not sure i would trust a 100-150€ cleaning offer

10 hours ago, Octavoro said:

Hey im a resident of Slovakia (eastern block) so an MOT test cost me +20€ and i can literally bring a bucket of rust with two licence plates and i will pass ... so a total delete cut out thing is what im thinking about..

Yeah thats not allowed over here in the UK. Depends then on your conscience whether you are happy to drive a car pumping out polluting particulates or not!

• Like 2

You could try some dpf cleaner to see if it makes a difference, personally i've found Dipetane to be the best on other cars I've owned, some people claim it's snake oil but I found it worked on my Peugeot.

200k miles is good, on the Pug I owned anything above 100k miles and the dpf was needing replacing, I had it cleaned twice and used dipetane to keep it going but after a while replacement was the only option.

Removing the dpf altogether was an option here in Ireland too as they currently don't check for the filter in the NCT (our equivalent of an MOT) but there are talks that they are going to start checking in the future.

As for polluting particles, all the dpf does is capture the larger soot particles from the exhaust and burn them up into smaller particles and fires them out the exhaust anyway. The idea is that the larger particles are worse for humans so the dpf was devised to stop them. People with a straight through pipe instead of the filter have passed emissions tests in the NCT.

30 minutes ago, lway said:

People with a straight through pipe instead of the filter have passed emissions tests in the NCT.

But in the UK the MOT rules were tightened up in May 2018 so if the tester cannot see a dpf, or believes the dpf has been tampered with (such as the contents emptied out), then that is an automatic fail even if the emissions meet the required spec.

Having said that, some MOT testers are still not fully applying the new rules (I know of at least one car retrofitted with HID bulbs on headlamps not designed for them, which is also an automatic fail, that passed a few days ago).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lway said:

You could try some dpf cleaner to see if it makes a difference, personally i've found Dipetane to be the best on other cars I've owned, some people claim it's snake oil but I found it worked on my Peugeot.

200k miles is good, on the Pug I owned anything above 100k miles and the dpf was needing replacing, I had it cleaned twice and used dipetane to keep it going but after a while replacement was the only option.

Removing the dpf altogether was an option here in Ireland too as they currently don't check for the filter in the NCT (our equivalent of an MOT) but there are talks that they are going to start checking in the future.

As for polluting particles, all the dpf does is capture the larger soot particles from the exhaust and burn them up into smaller particles and fires them out the exhaust anyway. The idea is that the larger particles are worse for humans so the dpf was devised to stop them. People with a straight through pipe instead of the filter have passed emissions tests in the NCT.

very appreciate the tip i want to get it cleaned but first i need to find somebody who can do it properly so it will last a while. the thing im not sure about are the sensors inside if they will be ok after cleaning or may last another week or two and i will need a new filter anyway

28 minutes ago, Octavoro said:

very appreciate the tip i want to get it cleaned but first i need to find somebody who can do it properly so it will last a while. the thing im not sure about are the sensors inside if they will be ok after cleaning or may last another week or two and i will need a new filter anyway

AFAIK the only sensors are differential pressure sensors before and after the filter that measure the pressure difference, there are no sensors in the filter body itself, it is in essence just a metal cylinder with a filter in it. Some people have removed the dpf and just power washed it to clean the filter then baked it to  remove any moisture and dry it out completely before refitting.

A guy I know used to do it but he had access to good equipment as he was a mechanical fitter who worked at an airport.

2 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

But in the UK the MOT rules were tightened up in May 2018 so if the tester cannot see a dpf, or believes the dpf has been tampered with (such as the contents emptied out), then that is an automatic fail even if the emissions meet the required spec.

Having said that, some MOT testers are still not fully applying the new rules (I know of at least one car retrofitted with HID bulbs on headlamps not designed for them, which is also an automatic fail, that passed a few days ago).

Yeah, there's talk that that will be introduced here in Ireland also in the NCT (National Car Test - our MOT). Some mechanics will open the DPF cylinder remove the filter and re-close the cylinder again but any checks for tampering would stop that.