Shebs mk1 VRS

sheb

Well that was fun.

Talk about awkward. 

I took the scuttle off easily enough but getting it to sit flush to the windscreen when putting it back was a right ball ache. 
Got there in the end.

I think the swearing at it helped. 

It needed doing tho’ and hopefully will mean less condensation inside the windscreen next winter. 

The new one is like a grey felt.

I think the old one was originally white.

0383EF84-5A15-4961-BC7F-3028CBE698E4.jpeg

• Like 2

• Administrators

Excellent thread Sheb. Nice to see another sticking to original parts and refreshing the VRS. 

• Like 1

Thanks.

I don’t mind subtle modifications but with this car I do have resale at some point in the back of my mind.

It’s already becoming a bit impractical to keep as we don’t need it as the main family car anymore and I only did a about 2k miles last year and even when things are back to normal I can’t see me doing more than 4k this year. 

I do still get in it and it feels really good to drive so it’s staying for now. 

Also, I would be a bit sceptical about buying a heavily modified 20 year old car.

There have been a few horrible messes on auto trader recently and I think prices for good ones have bottomed out now. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the time has come and I’ve decided it’s time to move on and sell up. 

I’ve had 7 good years with this car and it’s served us well as the family workhorse doing it all without ever letting me down. 

I’m doing hardly any mileage now as we’ve got my partners car for family duties now which is better as it means I don’t have to do all the driving whenever we go on hols in the uk.

She’d never drive this as it’s “to big and scary”. 

I’ve never owned a car for more than 2 years before and even though I’m not a sentimental man I think this might be a wrench as I’ve loved owning this car. 

Anyway, I’ll be giving it a scrub up later today and then sticking a warts and all add up in the classifieds. 

• Sad 2

I can see why you're selling but it is a shame.  I sold my first Mk1 back when our children were small and I needed to get three child seats in the rear.  It was the sensible thing to do but I regretted it instantly, hence getting another MK1 a few years later. 

I reckon you'll miss it but in the end if it's an expense you don't need then someone else will be able to enjoy the car.

• Like 1

On 26/06/2021 at 06:54, sheb said:

Well, the time has come and I’ve decided it’s time to move on and sell up. 

I’ve had 7 good years with this car and it’s served us well as the family workhorse doing it all without ever letting me down. 

I’m doing hardly any mileage now as we’ve got my partners car for family duties now which is better as it means I don’t have to do all the driving whenever we go on hols in the uk.

She’d never drive this as it’s “to big and scary”. 

I’ve never owned a car for more than 2 years before and even though I’m not a sentimental man I think this might be a wrench as I’ve loved owning this car. 

Anyway, I’ll be giving it a scrub up later today and then sticking a warts and all add up in the classifieds. 

Oh no! Sad times. Thanks for this project thread - I've found it a really useful resource.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed reading this thread, thanks for putting in the time @sheb!

Sad to see your getting rid of the car. :sadsmile:

How much are you hoping to get for it if you dont mind me asking?

Im not in the market at the moment but when my wife passes her auto test ill need another car as she will then be driving our Mk3 Octavia and a Mk1 vRS is one of my hero cars so would be intresting to see how much they fetch at the moment.  Would have loved to owned yours as its been so well cared for.

Thanks for the kind comments.

it was a car I’d always wanted since seeing one just after they came out so it’s been great to own one and seeing as I’ve had it 5 years longer than any other car (including a mk2 golf 16v) I definitely made the right decision buying it. 

It’s up for £1895, so somewhere in that region. Seems like a fair price given what’s they seem to go for on Autotrader.