Wonky Headlights!

Ill set the scene......

Driving along at night so headlights on (auto with adaptive cornering etc...), I notice the headlights turning with the direction of the steering as it should but the right hand headlight appears to get 'stuck' pointing out to the right and towards the oncoming traffic. Once I slow sufficiently (or park), you can visibly see the beam re-centralising.

Any idea how I can reset things or is this a trip to the dealers?

If your dipped beam is sticking and wrongly shining at other road users rather than to your verge side please have that fixed ASAP.

Doesn't sound right. Basic settings in VCDS may help if you have access to that, assuming there isn't something physically interrupting the motion.

If it's causing an issue, potentially blinding other road users, may I suggest using Individual profile and setting the headlight movement to "Eco", or alternatively use the dipped headlight position on the headlight switch rather than Auto. Either of these effectively disables the turning function of AFS and leaves the lights pointing forwards regardless of steering angle.

Edited by ahenners

51 minutes ago, VRS_Dan said:

Ill set the scene......

Driving along at night so headlights on (auto with adaptive cornering etc...), I notice the headlights turning with the direction of the steering as it should but the right hand headlight appears to get 'stuck' pointing out to the right and towards the oncoming traffic. Once I slow sufficiently (or park), you can visibly see the beam re-centralising.

Any idea how I can reset things or is this a trip to the dealers?

That is how they set the AFS to work, the O/S headlight at lower speeds should be pointing more to the O/S to light up the pavement on the opposite side of the road so you can see pedestrians apparently. It should only do that at lower speeds though, not all the time. If it is doing it all the time then something has gone adrift with the AFS.

• Like 1

If that is 'apparently' true someone needs a hard slap.

The UK Highway code and law on dazzling other road users is clear enough.

Road Users not all being car or motorised vehicle drivers in 20, 30, even 50 mile per hour urban areas.

thanks for the replies. I do not have access to VCDS I'm afraid......

it does it on main beam as well as dipped though and it does it at any speeds, I've noticed it over 60mph anyway.

From the handbook:

The AHL system operates in the following modes.

Out of town mode

The cone of light in front of the vehicle is similar to the low beam. The mode is

active if none of the following modes are active.

City mode

The cone of light in front of the vehicle is adjusted so that it illuminates the adjacent

pavement, crossings, etc. The mode is active at speeds of 15-50 km/h.

Motorway mode

The cone of light in front of the vehicle is adjusted so that the driver can respond

in time to an obstruction or other hazard in time. The mode is active at speeds

above 110 km/h.

Rain mode

The cone of light in front of the vehicle is adjusted so that the driver can reduce

the glare from oncoming vehicles in rain.

The mode is active at speeds of 50 – 90 km/h and if the windscreen wipers continuously

operate for a period of time longer than 2 minutes. The mode is deactivated

when the windscreen wipers are switched off for longer than 8 minutes.

Fog mode

The cone of light in front of the vehicle is adjusted so that the driver is not dazzled

by the reflection of the cone of light by fog in front of the vehicle.

The mode is active at speeds of 15 – 70 km/h and if the rear fog light is switched

on for a period of time longer than 10 seconds. The mode is deactivated when the

rear fig light is switched off for longer than 5 seconds.

Dynamic cornering lights

The cone of light in front of the vehicle is adjusted to the steering angle so that

the road in the curve is illuminated. This function is active at speeds greater than

10 km.h and in all AFS modes.

Tourist light

This mode makes it possible to drive in countries with opposing traffic system

(driving on the left/right) without dazzling the oncoming vehicles.

When the “tourist light” mode is active, the above-mentioned modes and the side

swivel of the headlights is deactivated.

The "Tourist light" mode can be configured in the Infotainment » operating instructions

for Infotainment, chapter Setting vehicle systems (CAR button).

Edited by mk4gtiturbo
  • Thanks 1

Scary thing is how many vehicles are imported to the UK from a factory, given a UK Dealership Joke PDI and are then on the road for 3 years before a MOT 

and the UK failure rate is high at first MOT's on Head Light adjustment.

All the gear fitted and doing it's own thing and you hope it all works,

and you only know it is maybe not as other dazzle you to say 'Sort your fancy lights out'.

Edited by AwaoffSki

It's been asked many times, and it can be fixed with VCDS by disabling city mode.

Find a local member here on the map who can do it for you.

Ive done quite a few