Octavia VRS Tdi 184 upgrades

Hi.

can anyone help in performance upgrades on my 65 plate Octavia VRS TDI 184ps. I’ve just brought the car but had 2 previous as company cars which I wasn’t allowed to touch. It’s still under warranty so don’t want to go stupid yet (just in case) so no remaps at present. I’ve been looking at filters and chips but think a chip will void the warranty. Is it also true that you can get the car to 230ps without doing to much.

thanks

andy

On 1/4/2018 at 18:34, AndyLiss said:

Hi.

can anyone help in performance upgrades on my 65 plate Octavia VRS TDI 184ps. I’ve just brought the car but had 2 previous as company cars which I wasn’t allowed to touch. It’s still under warranty so don’t want to go stupid yet (just in case) so no remaps at present. I’ve been looking at filters and chips but think a chip will void the warranty. Is it also true that you can get the car to 230ps without doing to much.

thanks

andy

Revo or Shark can achieve 230-235 bhp easily and more importantly, safely on the 184ps TDI.  I had a Revo remap on my Leon and it ran 232bhp for 2 years with no issues.  Driveability and performance were significantly improved over stock and the car ran perfectly.  As you say though, remapping may not be feasible.   An air filter makes no discernible difference IMO.  I had a Revo one and it made no improvement over the remap, or none I could tell. 

Often overlooked is just ensuring filters and oil etc are all fresh and service history is up to date. 

Another mod to consider is changing the XDS diff to 'strong' using OBDEleven or VCDS.  It does make the car dig in that little more in the corners and is a nice and potentially free upgrade.  

11 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Revo or Shark can achieve 230-235 bhp easily and more importantly, safely on the 184ps TDI.  I had a Revo remap on my Leon and it ran 232bhp for 2 years with no issues.  Driveability and performance were significantly improved over stock and the car ran perfectly.  As you say though, remapping may not be feasible.   An air filter makes no discernible difference IMO.  I had a Revo one and it made no improvement over the remap, or none I could tell. 

Often overlooked is just ensuring filters and oil etc are all fresh and service history is up to date. 

Another mod to consider is changing the XDS diff to 'strong' using OBDEleven or VCDS.  It does make the car dig in that little more in the corners and is a nice and potentially free upgrade.  

I'm pretty sure that the diesel vrs doesn't have the fancy diff. It's not in the spec, and mine sure doesn't drive like it does. 

Edited by stever750

7 hours ago, stever750 said:

I'm pretty sure that the diesel vrs doesn't have the fancy diff. It's not in the spec, and mine sure doesn't drive like it does. 

Really?  That's a surprise since it's fitted to the Golf GTD and Leon FR with the same output.  I assumed it would also be in the vRS TDI. 

7 hours ago, stever750 said:

According to 2014 Octavia brochure, XDS is standard on all vRS models.

• Like 1

Just now, Jon TDI said:

Yes I was. Picking up the Xmas lunch!

Ditto! Ah, I thought that may have been you.  You parked right behind my Sportline in the carpark.  I was with my Son and said "hello" but I thought "Are you Jon from Briskoda?" may have just been a bit weird, especially if it wasn't you! 

Just now, Auric Goldfinger said:

Only the Pre FL 230 Tsi and the FL 245 Tsi get the e-diff ( The fancy diff )

Ah but there's XDS and XDS + (e-diff) and I'm referring to the older, XDS system here. 

1 minute ago, penguin17 said:

Ditto! Ah, I thought that may have been you.  You parked right behind my Sportline in the carpark.  I was with my Son and said "hello" but I thought "Are you Jon from Briskoda?" may have just been a bit weird, especially if it wasn't you! 

Ah, I see.

I was with my 2 girls so was busy trying to keep an eye on them!

Ha I stand corrected. It does gave XDS fitted but is turned down so that it's invisible. Tbh it simply uses the braking system to add artificial resistance to the unloaded inside wheel, hello worn out CV joints. The leon cupra had the much better VAQ electro hydraulic system, which I think Auric you have on your 245. Works in a completely different way, and works brilliantly. Personally I'd not mess about with xds settings, your just going to wear out front brakes and joints faster for little gain. 

9 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Mines a Pre FL 230.

If it's the VAQ system it will be all over the brochure like a rash... 

Minor point but xds saps power, as it uses the braking system, VAQ doesn't as it uses clutches to distribute torque. 

Edited by stever750

17 minutes ago, stever750 said:

If it's the VAQ system it will be all over the brochure like a rash... 

Minor point but xds saps power, as it uses the braking system, VAQ doesn't as it uses clutches to distribute torque. 

My 230 is on its second e-Diff, the first one broke     :worried: 

Edited by Auric Goldfinger