noise at low speed

13 minutes ago, DEL80Y said:

Is the feeling your getting just when it changes down from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st.  As I had this before the oil was changed and they reset the DSG as well..

Mines is coming up on another DSG service and I can start to feel it changing down gear to soon which gives a lot of engine braking
I have bought all the stuff to do DSG oil change myself this time and will reset DSG through VCDS

Yep, exactly that. I should have asked the dealer to reset it because it's presumably adapted to the previous driver as well. I'll have to see someone with VCDS I think. Slightly tempted to buy one myself so I have it on hand going forward as I plan to keep the car for the foreseeable. Another option is a DSG remap, I find the car is always keen to change up gears as soon as it possibly can, but sometimes this makes the car feel like it's struggling a little. Not dreadful, but I did feel the need to drop down a gear manually the other day which I never had to do on my old car which was a more standard 4 speed auto. It seems to me the gear ratios are designed for fuel economy but also with the assumption that the car is going to be driving on fast roads, which is fine unless you have to pop to the shops on a short slow drive. But I'll probably put up with it because of cost and just get it reset on VCDS as you suggest.

A reset will get rid of the problem then and the car will feel much better after...

It was just yesterday I was driving and it reminded me what mines was like before full reset;)

• Like 1

@snowathlete  if you need to shift down - just press accelerator pedal quick and hard - DSG will downshift automatically. 

Depends on speed, rpm, current gear and how hard and quick you press accelerator - it will downshift one gear or more.

Thanks @DEL80Y, helpful to know.

The problem @jafo is when you're in traffic so you can't accelerate, or where the speed limit means you can't. The car has the expectation that having accelerated a bit to the point where the car changed up a gear that you'll keep going and it won't be a problem, but often it will change up at 30/31mph but you can't go faster because of the speed limit or because of the car in front stopping you from going faster, and in that situation the engine doesn't always sound very comfortable.

Maybe the DSG reset will help that as well, if not I can probably live with it.

Mine is not a 4x4 but I have noticed that it occasionally slows down more noticeably when, for example, coasting up to traffic lights, including changing down at higher revs. It seems to do this relatively early in trips. Also it is my impression that this coincides with the AutoStop/Start not activating. (I'm being vague because I have not tried to check this at all rigorously).

All I can think of is that this may be linked to the "smart" charging system that most cars have nowadays where the vehicle seeks to top up the battery when the engine is not under load. That would explain the early downshifts but I don't know enough about alternators to say how the engine load they generate (sorry) may vary.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MikeHig said:

Mine is not a 4x4 but I have noticed that it occasionally slows down more noticeably when, for example, coasting up to traffic lights, including changing down at higher revs. It seems to do this relatively early in trips. Also it is my impression that this coincides with the AutoStop/Start not activating. (I'm being vague because I have not tried to check this at all rigorously).

All I can think of is that this may be linked to the "smart" charging system that most cars have nowadays where the vehicle seeks to top up the battery when the engine is not under load. That would explain the early downshifts but I don't know enough about alternators to say how the engine load they generate (sorry) may vary.

Interesting thoughts, maybe someone else will be able to add something about that.

I'd like to understand what's going on even if it's normal for the Superb.

In terms of speed dropping it actually seems quite consistent, so looking at the speedometer from 30MPH and foot off the gas it seems to drop at about the same rate from 30 down to 20 as it does from 20 down to 10 etc. The symptom appears to be more this feeling of resistance when it drops to 3rd gear at around 20PMH.