Variations of steering racks?

Hi Everyone,

Was wondering if anyone could tell me, In the Fabia Mk1, How many different steering racks where used or were they all the same?

Any tips to point in the right direction to what one I have would be appreciated, no idea where to even look for the part number.

Telling us the year of the car would be a good start. 

Part number seems to be marked here - not sure how easy that is to see when the rack's in the car though. Note, I'm not saying this is the right part number for your car, just that this is where to look:

Rack.png

8 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

There are two basic models of PAS racks used, TRW and Koyo, as long as you fit the same type it will fit and work just fine.

On the TRW racks, the steering angle/rate sensor pick-up changed at some point in time though. An incompatible rack will mean that needs changing too.

The change seems to have happened at chassis number 6Y-3-731254/5, see items 1 and 18 here: https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/fabia/fab/2003-225/4/423-423040/.

If you (the OP) don't know how to derive  chassis number from VIN, just ask.

Edited by Wino

Thanks very much guys, Ill see if I can find the part number now its been pointed it... any idea what part no is TRW and what is Koyo?

Since you asked Wino ive no idea how to derive chassis number from the VIN, might come in handy :)

Easy one, you just delete the first 6 characters, then replace the 9th and 11th character with dashes, so say your VIN reads TMBNY46Y123456789, the chassis number as used in ETKA will be 6Y-2-456789.

The (model) year of your car is the number in between the dashes (added to 2000), so model year in my example will be 2002. What is this number for yours @taylsy01? I guess as yours is Ambiente it'll be after the change of steering sensor/pick-up, so expect a part number ending in H, L or K.

Dunno about Koyo racks, not sure whether they were ever used in UK Fabias.

If you steering angle sensor comes with wire, you will need to fit same type stg rack. I've done in in the past and fitted rack like on the picture posted by WINO. Had to do it once again. Got new one from EuroCarParts @ £150

What do you guys think of fitting a used steering rack from another Fabia?

Terrible idea like using used brakes/ball joints? or maybe not so bad?

Quotes for new are around £150, Used around £50-60 so definitely a decent price difference.

Something I've never even looked at before is a steering rack. It was an amateur mechanic friend who suggested a new rack to try and sort the vague steering and wobbles.

For the amount of work which is involved I'm not sure if I'll be fitting used stg rack again. You will have to take it for tracking, if second hand got loose it will damage tyres. Think that way

5 hours ago, taylsy01 said:

It was an amateur mechanic friend who suggested a new rack to try and sort the vague steering and wobbles.

I don't think it's your rack, take a really close look at your front wishbone pivots, it sounds like you may have torn a console bush.

On 8 January 2018 at 17:24, sepulchrave said:

I don't think it's your rack, take a really close look at your front wishbone pivots, it sounds like you may have torn a console bush.

Sorry for the stupidity but what ones the console bush. I've had both the wishbones done would these have came with it?

These are the console bushes...

fgtynm.png

werty.jpg

The bushes may or may not have been done with your wishbones.

Edited by TMB

I don't understand why garages insist on replacing the wishbones on these cars, only the front bush comes prefitted and that's easy to replace anyway, the console is always the hardest work, even the bottom ball joint is only three bolts and a doddle to replace, I can see no advantage in replacing the wishbones on these cars, I guess the garages are just lazy and think it'll save time like it does on other makes and models.