ocatavia ride at slow speeds

The heavier Golf has a slightly (ickle) shorter wheel base.

Then the slightly shorter length.

The thing is sitting in the back of a Golf is not exactly a magic carpet ride, model dependent.

11 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

The heavier Golf has a slightly (ickle) shorter wheel base.

Then the slightly shorter length.

The thing is sitting in the back of a Golf is not exactly a magic carpet ride, model dependent.

It’s a good 40cm shorter, which is going to have some impact on road behaviour. But no - the Golf is no smoothie, just better at concealing it.

The Mk7 Golf with torsion bar suspension has softer dampers than the Octavia and they are interchangeable. A few people, including me, have put Golf dampers on their Octavia, resulting in a much more compliant ride.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Paulius55 said:

The Mk7 Golf with torsion bar suspension has softer dampers than the Octavia and they are interchangeable. A few people, including me, have put Golf dampers on their Octavia, resulting in a much more compliant ride.

There’s your answer - softer spring rates, more nvh suppression. VW versus Skoda, basically.

Dampers (Shock absorbers) do their job, and springs do theirs, and they come in different poundages even if a Hatch and an Estate have the same Revenue weights. So the changing suspension parts can be the answer, and also the reason for differences, even in the same brands , ie, Skoda / VW / Seat / Audi.

On 11/01/2018 at 09:50, Paulius55 said:

Hi Paulius, by any chance do you know the part number for this and the model of golf its off.

I have seen the b4 upgrade however there the same as a golf gti so i am thinking thay may be a bit firm.

The part number is 5Q0513049CQ and I got mine from a Mk7 Golf 1.6TDi, as that has torsion bar suspension. The bigger engines have multi-link suspension and the dampers are different.

Have had my new Octavia 1.4 DSG SE estate for a month now and find the suspension absolutely fine in all but badly pot holed roads (you need a 4x4 for some of the crumbling roads around my way!) Still she handles well and has never felt like letting go through twisty mountain roads we regularly travel on. All in all a simply brilliant car.

My car is jittery at low speed its an se business estate with 16 inch wheels on. However at speed its ok and you cant tell, also as awayoffski mentioned in the second post when its loaded its feels a bit better. 

The 16inch wheels realy do make a difference, it rides potholes far better the only downside is it feels a little disconnected at times, squidgy.

I think in most cars adaptive dampers are the way to go and for most conditions you can get the best of both worlds.

Edited by Alpha2110

On 13/01/2018 at 23:25, Paulius55 said:

The part number is 5Q0513049CQ and I got mine from a Mk7 Golf 1.6TDi, as that has torsion bar suspension. The bigger engines have multi-link suspension and the dampers are different.

Do you know what manufacturer thay are.

Did you notice any chainge in booming road noise?

That is a VW standard part from a VW dealer, although I got mine from a breaking Golf on eBay. I have the combi and do not have the booming road noise, although I have put silentcoat in the rear floor and under the seat and fitted an acoustic barrier under the rear seat and under the load space carpet.

My Octavia MK3 Elegance with optional 18's was bad around town, because the roads are ****. My next Octavia MK3 Elegance I kept the standard 17's on and it is a lot better in terms of ride (but not so in handling). The rear suspension is annoying over time, as it bangs over bumps with little finesse. The front is fine, and over time has got quite soft (as in 58,000 miles). I had a loan vRS, and with the roads round here (Manchester) it was awful, we all basically sat in it and were bouncing up and own like we were on a fairground ride - we were only doing 20MPH but that's Salford roads for you.

My 2018 1.4 TSI SE L Estate on standard 17” wheels is perfectly acceptable ride wise (rather than impressively good).  I think things may have been tweaked to improve the facelift slightly, certainly a wider track.  As others have said, wheel size makes a big difference.  I imagine the more sophisticated rear setup on the VRS is cancelled out by the stiffer setup and larger 18+” wheels.  The only way is to test a car with the same configuration you hope to buy on a familiarly bumpy road.