Edition questions

Englando

Hi all,

I'm moving from an Octavia III which has been a great runner (and fantastic to only pay £30 road tax p/a!) to the 1.5 TSI Edition in business grey and can't wait.  Got a really good deal via CarWow which mean it was only £500 more than the SEL (with my options) at just over £24000 after finance discount, which was a no-brainer.  It was either this or the 4x4 Kodiaq but we found the Karoq more suitable for our needs as it still has lots of space.  Would have been good to get 4x4 as an option on the 1.5 TSI though.

But Information doesn't seem to be Skoda's strong point, anyone know the situation with the black wheel arch trim option?  I read it only comes with the 4x4s but my garage told me it comes on all Edition models.  Difficult to find photos of specific models as most reviewers got the top of the line diesels.

And I have also seen an SEL and some Editions that have the Canton badge on the inside front doors near the handle, anyone know if there is some sort of Canton speaker system in these as the spec sheets don't state the full Canton option is a standard, and only an option.

I'm just gutted I couldn't change the size of the wheels in the order to 18"s though.  I found the limited wheel choice is pretty poor across the range.

Cheers,

Pete.

Hi Pete. Re the wheels.  I spoke to a dealer this week about changing the 19 inch to 18inch wheels.  He told me they could change them at a cost to me if £300. I’m lead to believe that the 19inch are a harder ride. Got my test drive this weekend. 

1 hour ago, Englando said:

But Information doesn't seem to be Skoda's strong point, anyone know the situation with the black wheel arch trim option?  I read it only comes with the 4x4s but my garage told me it comes on all Edition models.  Difficult to find photos of specific models as most reviewers got the top of the line diesels.

i know what you mean, i have seen Edition diesel 4 x 4 in dealership and it had no wheel arches trim, i thought it comes as standard with such spec, i really dont want that feature and hope its not on my 1.5 TSI, maybe can be part of rough road package??

And I have also seen an SEL and some Editions that have the Canton badge on the inside front doors near the handle, anyone know if there is some sort of Canton speaker system in these as the spec sheets don't state the full Canton option is a standard, and only an option.

you can get it on all trims as option so you probably seen loaded spec SEL

I'm just gutted I couldn't change the size of the wheels in the order to 18"s though.  I found the limited wheel choice is pretty poor across the range.

me too, but i think we will learn to live with it, i might explore later an option to do swap with someone on ebay but i think we will just get used to it, they look very stylish though

Yeh, I'm in the same boat - would prefer 18" higher-profile tyres to improve the ride quality. Madasaskaven: is your test drive in an Edition? Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on comfort with the big wheels.

I had a long conversation with my dealer about the wheels on the 4x4 versus 4x2 Edition as I'm worried about ride quality too.

All Editions come with 19", but only the 4x2 have the wheel arch trim -  - they call them 'wide wheel arches' on the spec list.

The 19" wheels  in both wide and normal arch versions - are an option on the SE L too.

Apparently the difference between the 19" versions, and the reason for 4x4 not having the wide wheel arches is tyre size. The 4x2 tyres are 235/40, the 4x4 are 225/45. 

I'm hoping the  extra rubber on the 4x4 tyres will make for a more comfortable ride.

• Thanks 1

He also said the tyre size difference is one of the reasons why there are different spare wheel options for the 4x2 and 4x4. 4x2 can have 'full size' or 'temporary', 4x4 can only have 'steel space saving'. 

I have just taken of the 2.0 TDI 4x4 Edition, there is no problem with ride, very smooth and relaxing drive, compared to my Octavia VRS. The wheel arch plastic protectors are free, try the Skoda vehicle configuration on the SKODA UK website.

Thanks all for the feedback.  I think I prefer the "wide wheel arches", most of the promotional material has Karoqs sporting them, and I have yet to see a Karoq without them properly. 

Oh and London_Jock mentions mud flaps which I started thinking about yesterday, in one of the brochures there is a picture of a Karoq with them fitted and I think it looks OK.  At least they can be fitted once the car has been received so I have time to think about them.

Now tempted to add the Canton system to my order!  Is it sad to do this just for the badges on the inside front doors? :-).  I'm sure it sounds a lot better though but we don't really listen to a lot of music in the car, always disagreements on noise level, what to play etc. so £500 is a bit extravagant.

I'll speak to my dealer about the wheels and see what they can do about swapping to 18" once the car is delivered.  Would be great to get Madasaskaven's feedback re the ride quality.

Scuba Steve - was that with 19" wheels?

Edited by Englando
New question

27 minutes ago, Englando said:

Thanks all for the feedback.  I think I prefer the "wide wheel arches", most of the promotional material has Karoqs sporting them, and I have yet to see a Karoq without them properly. 

Oh and London_Jock mentions mud flaps which I started thinking about yesterday, in one of the brochures there is a picture of a Karoq with them fitted and I think it looks OK.  At least they can be fitted once the car has been received so I have time to think about them.

Now tempted to add the Canton system to my order!  Is it sad to do this just for the badges on the inside front doors? :-).  I'm sure it sounds a lot better though but we don't really listen to a lot of music in the car, always disagreements on noise level, what to play etc. so £500 is a bit extravagant.

I'll speak to my dealer about the wheels and see what they can do about swapping to 18" once the car is delivered.  Would be great to get Madasaskaven's feedback re the ride quality.

update us on your feedback from dealer,

do you know where you seen pictured of Karoq with mud flaps? 

9 minutes ago, vadimo said:

update us on your feedback from dealer,

do you know where you seen pictured of Karoq with mud flaps? 

This isn't the one I am thinking of but the accessories brochure has some part shots of the car with mudflaps:

http://www.skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionImages/Models/downloads/Karoq-Accessories-Brochure.pdf

I'll try and find the other one I saw.

i just found but protection pack doesnt exist in pricing list

cheers for tour link, who the hell puts alloys in accessories? these should be OPTION in the base of the pricing document

image.thumb.png.c37906d37ee06e90bea2d9ab88399224.png

I’m not sure which model the local skoda Garage is using for the test drives. But will report back after Sunday though.  All I’ve read say 18 inch is a better ride than 19 inch. The replacement tyres will be cheaper too. So standby for feed back :-)

2 hours ago, Englando said:

This isn't the one I am thinking of but the accessories brochure has some part shots of the car with mudflaps:

http://www.skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionImages/Models/downloads/Karoq-Accessories-Brochure.pdf

Edited - me being an idiot.

I've ordered mudflaps on mine (4x4 Edition). It is apparently at Sheerness so should be at the dealers soon.

Edited by London_Jock
Correction

2 hours ago, Englando said:

Actually it was that one!  It's the picture of the white Karoq with the bikes on top. 

5 hours ago, Englando said:

Yes, that is with 19” wheels, standard fit on the Edition. The ride quality is very smooth, along with the 2.0TDI DSG 4x4.

Took delivery of the Karoq, yesterday. Drove it for 70 miles, back in the garage, with the electric tailgate issue, willn’t open, shown open on the maxi dot screen.

I have driven the SE Tech with the 1.0 TSI engine and 18” wheels, there is really no different in the ride quality between the 18” and 19” wheels. Just little quieter on the 18” wheels, this down to the make of tyre.

F42F23B3-21D2-414F-9696-089C477AA94C.jpeg

Edited by Scuba Steve 827
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Scuba Steve 827 said:

Yes, that is with 19” wheels, standard fit on the Edition. The ride quality is very smooth, along with the 2.0TDI DSG 4x4.

Took delivery of the Karoq, yesterday. Drove it for 70 miles, back in the garage, with the electric tailgate issue, willn’t open, shown open on the maxi dot screen.

Thanks for the update, good to know about the ride quality and puts my mind to rest.  Shane about your boot issue, hope it gets sorted quickly. 

3 minutes ago, Englando said:

Thanks for the update, good to know about the ride quality and puts my mind to rest.  Shane about your boot issue, hope it gets sorted quickly. 

Just added a update to my last post, about the wheels.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Scuba Steve 827 said:

already fault? Is there anyway to override it and open ? I guess no and that's the risk we have to take with anything electronic now

39 minutes ago, Englando said:

I would be be bit wary about using a 4x4 ride description to describe the 2wd version as apparently they have different suspensions.

I gather the 2wd has a simpler system so might not ride as well.  If you try a test drive on 19 inch wheels make sure it is 2wd if that is what you are considering.

Also the brochure (price list) shows different tyre sizes on the Edition petrol and diesel (both have 19 inch crater wheels)

Petrol is 235/40 but 2.0 tdi is 225/45

Personally I would avoid 40 and 45 profile tyres as having no cushioning effect (and short wear life)

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

I would be be bit wary about using a 4x4 ride description to describe the 2wd version as apparently they have different suspensions.

I gather the 2wd has a simpler system so might not ride as well.  If you try a test drive on 19 inch wheels make sure it is 2wd if that is what you are considering.

Also the brochure (price list) shows different tyre sizes on the Edition petrol and diesel (both have 19 inch crater wheels)

Petrol is 235/40 but 2.0 tdi is 225/45

Personally I would avoid 40 and 45 profile tyres as having no cushioning effect (and short wear life)

Thanks,  will see what I can get from the garage.  Might try and get the Trinity wheels in anthracite just yo be sure. Waiting to hear which version I drove on Saturday, forgot to ask. 

36 minutes ago, vadimo said:

already fault? Is there anyway to override it and open ? I guess no and that's the risk we have to take with anything electronic now

There is manual override, a hole in the boot trim, inside. To release the boot lid, the Skoda recovery guy, couldn’t open it.

I found this in an Autocar review, don't know how correct it is, doesn't specifically state whether the suspension is enhanced for the 4x4 cars:

"The Karoq's suspension features a MacPherson-designed front axle with triangular wishbones, and a four-link rear axle. A Dynamic Chassis Control system on the 1.5 TSI and both 2.0 TDI engines will offer three chassis modes – Comfort, Standard and Sport – with electrically operated valves adjusting based on road conditions."

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-skoda-karoq-suv-priced-£20875

Got this back from Skoda UK:

• The Additional Body Cover on wheel arch and side sill is not standard on KAROQ SE L.
  • The Additional Body Cover on wheel arch and side sill is only available on KAROQ SE L petrol engines when the 19” Crater alloy wheels are selected, the price of which is included in the alloy wheel.
  • The Additional Body Cover on wheel arch and side sill cannot be ordered as an option on its own.
  • The Additional Body Cover on wheel arch and side sill cannot be ordered on KAROQ SE L diesel engines.
  • The Additional Body Cover on wheel arch and side sill is standard on Edition 1.5 TSI engines.
  • The Additional Body Cover on wheel arch and side sill is not standard or available as an option on Edition diesel engines.

In relation to the Canton media system, this is a Factory optional extra on all the KAROQ model range. However, this must be ordered with the space saver spare wheel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1