Skoda Fabia engine problems

xbemx

Hello. 

Has anyone had problems with engine (1.2, 2002) runing like this. It seem it is working only on 3 or maybe 2 cylinders. It lost fair amount of power, but is still driveable and the whole car is vibrating. Any  ideas? 

Edited by xbemx

Just before time belt - jump? Soon valve crash?

If the engine has gone more than 130 000 km I would be worry?

Mine chain vas gone after that km drive. In Norway this happens often, I have heard. Other here can tell more about it? 

@xbemx - The other possibility I can see here is an oil-fouled spark plug, probably on the cylinder you're seeing the leak from. Without access to the car I can't advise on likely causes of oil fouling in the individual case but @Torbo @sepulchrave and @Wino have all gone straight to worst cases IMO.

I disagree, @KenONeill, my first suggestion of a failed coilpack is pretty much the best case scenario. The oil 'leak' evident in the first picture looks to be fairly obviously from careless filling.

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

Burnt valves is a very real possibility on these engines,  it would be foolish to disregard or disagree with that suggestion.

But on the basis of doing the cheapest and easiest things first, a free eyeballing of the coilpacks, followed by a potentially free scan with VCDS or a scantool seem perfectly reasonable as first steps to me? Sparkplugs are another good thing to check, I don't disagree with that part; maybe I should have been clearer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wino said:

Burnt valves is a very real possibility on these engines,  it would be foolish to disregard or disagree with that suggestion.

But on the basis of doing the cheapest and easiest things first, a free eyeballing of the coilpacks, followed by a potentially free scan with VCDS or a scantool seem perfectly reasonable as first steps to me? Sparkplugs are another good thing to check, I don't disagree with that part; maybe I should have been clearer.

Correct reckoning is a good point - good idea. Diagnose, compression test. Correct order is a good point. Coils is a weakness, so it's a good idea to check with another? Spark plugs can also reveal problems.
Cylinder leakage test is also a good thing to do unless compression test reveals the error.Then think about chain and head. Easy job to change chain if the head must off. 

• 3 years later...
On 08/01/2018 at 22:54, Wino said:

Take the engine cover off and look at the tops of the coilpacks. See if any have obvious bulges/blisters.

Coilpack bulge.jpg

My skoda fabia 1.4 16v petrol 2005 are even WORSE than this and all 4 coils aswell it cuts out all the time its got backfire, smell of petrol and sometimes can't even rev it. Its not drivable at all will change when they arrive hope it is them checked and cleaned everything 3 times