Battery Charging Question.

Most likely answered my own question, just want reassurance.

I had it in the back of my mind you couldn't charge a battery still connected in the car that has the stop/start feature, I thought it had to be removed.

On reading the manual it says it's ok to do this but you must connect the negative charger lead to an engine earth point, not direct to the negative terminal.

The only exception to this and the battery must be disconnected is if using a fast charger type equipement, mine's a trickle charger (like a C-Tek/Optimate)

So all good to go ahead?

Reason, I tested the battery and it's showing a low reading but still starts the car. I've used the car very little over the last 3 weeks, only short trips the battery needs a boost.

In short, yes.

The reason for not connecting direct to the -ve terminal is that there is a BCM (battery charge monitor) device attached to the -ve terminal.   If you connect direct to the -ve terminal you by-pass this device.   By connecting to some other earth point you keep the BCM in the loop (actually, in the circuit) so to speak.

I also have a Toledo (1.2 tsi 110) and connect the negative croc clip of trickle charger to the engine lift bracket next to the dipstick - convenient and works fine.

7 hours ago, simon1304 said:

In short, yes.

The reason for not connecting direct to the -ve terminal is that there is a BCM (battery charge monitor) device attached to the -ve terminal.   If you connect direct to the -ve terminal you by-pass this device.   By connecting to some other earth point you keep the BCM in the loop (actually, in the circuit) so to speak.

I also have a Toledo (1.2 tsi 110) and connect the negative croc clip of trickle charger to the engine lift bracket next to the dipstick - convenient and works fine.

I've done the same now, battery now on charge, thanks for your input.

On 11/01/2018 at 20:34, camelspyyder said:

It also says dont jump start in that configuration but SWMBO was late for work so I just jump started her motor then worried about mine later.

The stop start and every thing else still worked - phew!

I've done the same, both charging (not using the - terminal but the lift bracket) and I've also done the other way when jumpstarting it... fortunately no problems!