Flashing warning light glow plug

Diamo

Hi all new here so pls bear with me I have 2013 1.6tdi greenline with 138000km on clock serviced every 15000km in skoda dealership in Ireland yesterday I had the car serviced and had emissions update done on the car.5miles into my journey home from the garage glow plug warning light started to flash on and off, I stopped the car switching off engine for 2 mins then restarted it and light went off and got home ok .today I drove the car again and same thing happened...does anybody think this could be related to the emissions update done on the car and what can I do...

regards Matt

Welcome to Briskoda!

Unfortunately if you'd come here earlier you'll have been told by almost everyone here to not have the emissions fix done.

There are no advantages, only potential disadvantages as you've discovered.

Ask your dealer if Skoda Ireland offer the same warranty on their cars as Skoda UK do that suffer issues after the emissions fix, see here...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/dieselinfo/trust-building-measure

Common issues relating to the emissions fix include the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve), DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) and the injectors, all very expensive components and are are put under additional stresses as a direct result of the emissions fix, which on older / higher mileage cars often results in their premature demise.

Your car will have logged one or more fault codes, ask the dealer for them when you take the car back and check them here...

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Fault_Codes

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

Thanks for your reply the car is going back to the garage first thing tomorrow and I’m sure skoda will not accept my argument that it has anything to do with the update I will let you know how it goes 

Regards Matt

No news yet on the car ,the dealership that serviced my car since new and did the emissions fix told me that they could not take the car in for two weeks as the were “too busy until then”

absolute joke I thought so I got on to skoda Ireland head office they organized a tow truck immediately and it’s now sitting in another skoda dealership and I’m still waiting to hear what going on,skoda organized a hire car for me and the same thing happened on the hire car flashing glow plug light after 6 miles so that’s being swapped today..it’s not my week will keep you posted.whete can I get a code reader could you recommend one thanks Matt

It's most likely the EGR valve that has failed - seems to be the first part to fail after the update. I'd get them to repair FOC and then find a tuning company to reverse the software update to pre-fix. From what I've read, not everyone can do it now as VAG have put a password on the ECU so make sure you find someone who has that capability.

Would the EGR fail as quickly as that it was only a few minutes after having the emissions fix done on the car that this all happened.the car had never had an but of trouble before this and was serviced every 10 to 11 thousand miles by Skoda I’m terrified it won’t be the same car again 

regards and thanks Matt

42 minutes ago, Diamo said:

Would the EGR fail as quickly as that it was only a few minutes after having the emissions fix done on the car that this all happened.the car had never had an but of trouble before this and was serviced every 10 to 11 thousand miles by Skoda I’m terrified it won’t be the same car again 

regards and thanks Matt

The update increases the use of EGR and has been exposing a lot of latent faults as a result. They can clog up over time but the movement of the valve keeps some of this at bay. The update increases the opening of the valve so it's opening through into the gunk in the valve and sticking or not opening fully.

Get the EGR replaced under the trust building measure and go from there.

• Like 2

Regarding code readers,

I only have an old V-gate scanner that cost about £45 at the time,

most people have moved to the Bluetooth unit that use you phone or laptop

to display the codes etc... there is a diagnostic section that will give you some pointers.

Diamo - hope you get this resolved.

Didn't realise any of this re the emissions 'fix'. I got the fix done by the dealership on the same day I decided to trade the car for my current one. Reason why I was in the dealership. May have had a narrow escape.

Notwithstanding, I joined a UK class action against VW over the emissions issue before I sold the car. Possibly nothing to gain but also nothing to lose.