Are there any happy MkIII 1.4 TDI owners not struggling with water pump issues?!

Raker

Afternoon all.

We were considering a used 15 plate 1.4 TDI SE L Estate on 23000 miles as our next motor and it's been pointed out that there have been some issues with over-heating in these engines?

Has anyone got a similar mileage/year and is having a really positive experience with them rather than plagued with water pump issues?  Wife will be driving - motorway every day.

Does the SE L spec come with stop start too out of interest?

Thanks in advance.

Simon.

Any other owners?  Trying to get a rounded opinion on whether to keep my 14 1.6 TDI Scout (no fix) or VT and go for this 15 1.4 TDI Estate.  

I had VW Polo 1.4tdi SEL (15 plate) until last October from brand new and the water pump failed. The car was on company lease scheme. Symptoms started at the beginning of January 2017, car overheating suddenly on a normal steady 50mph drive way beyond the normal level and after some time came back to normal. I thought it was justa random glitch or dpf issue but then I noticed an increase in fuel consumption. It started to get more and more often and then one day when I pulled over to cool down the engine the car would not start back and it had to be recovered to VW Shrewsbury.

Got repaired under the warranty. Having read on the UK Polo net other members experienced identical issue. I was really glad to get rid of my last Polo. I love 1.2tsi Fabia engine my first petrol after 6 Tdis in the past.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks!!  Was it ever the same after the fix?  

We had an 11 plate 1.2 TSI and didn't like it at all sadly.  It didn't return a good enough mpg.  Drive okay though. 

Fuel economy improved a lot, I had an opportunity to buy the car at the end but choose not to as some members on Polo forum were reporting the water pump issue reoccurring and dpf stuff as well has put me right off especially if I was to buy the car so I plunged into the petrol world. Wife has still got her fateful 1.9tdi 2008 plate Golf and luckily without the dreaded dpf.

My fabia is returning 54mpg at the moment bearing in mind it's bit cold I am sure it will improve when sun comes to mid Wales.

I don't blame you.  It's put me off buying one now I think.  Shame.  It's a lovely spec on the car and the right colour too.  I'm still in a 53 1.9 TDI PD Passat Estate and dread the day I have to give it up!!! 

54mpg is good indeed - maybe we ought to take a look at them again.   I'd consider a 1.0TSI too. 

My Mk3 is on its 3rd water pump.. if the issue happens again though Skoda can go and swivel if they think I will pay for it outside of warranty.. the thing is, each time they lasted about 11 months, so this 3rd pump is coming around to that 11-12month window.. lets see what happens in the next month or so..

• 5 weeks later...

I had problems with overheating on my summer holiday in Scotland. Two dealers (Inverness & Perth) were as much help as a Chocolate fireguard. Back in Leeds I took it to Dealer who had the car for a day and gave me some bullshyte about having replaced the waterpump. Overheated on the way home! Opened bonnet and noticed that the managed to change the waterpump without undoing the bolts (VAG are not very good at conning customers are they). Got them to come and get it and do the job properly. They told me that the 'cure' according to VAG was just to replace the coolant.

Anyways, they phoned me yesterday to try and sell me a new car. They were surprised when I told the I would be buying a new car in the next couple of months and it will be a HONDA! 

Never in over 40 years of driving will I be happier to get rid of a car (apart from a Marina 1.8TC which I wrapped round a Lamp post on the A326)

This car was my first encounter with Skoda and sure to be my last my customer satisfaction rating 2/10

With exception of a Bolero radio and its poor sound quality, poor to the point of your ears becoming bleeding, so far - so good. 

I purchased 15' plate SEL 77kW 1.4 Fabia TDI with 19k miles on the clock at the end of November last year, so only had the car for less than 3 months but covered more then 3k miles in it now.

First it puzzled me how quickly this engine heats up to 90-100 deg (even on cold weather) and, being aware of pump problems, I started asking around. Apparently that is normal. I still wait until summer (just before warranty expires) to test if it does not overheat.

Then I noticed quiet whining noise in 2-4 gear around 1400-1800 RPMs, which dealer told me is normal for the model. Noise has not made itself more apparent since, so assume that may be normal as well. Time will tell...

Other than that, car is brilliant to drive. It returns on average 58-62 mpg (70% motorway at 75, 30% city leaps). Being an estate, it offers more space then you could as for in its class (fitting with motorbike in single garage). Does the job I want it to very well.