How to check alternator brushes

Mouk84

Hi all,

Firstly, apologies if this has been covered in another topic, but I've been scouring this forum for the last couple of days and haven’t found the info I need.

I’ve been experiencing issues with the battery charge on my 2000/01 Skoda Fabia 1.4 16v comfort and from various posts on here I believe the next steps are to check the length of the brushes on the alternator regulator.

What I haven’t been able to find is exactly how to do this or what it even looks like (I’m a bit of a novice). Do I need to remove the whole alternator? If so, are there guides explaining how to do this?

Many thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.

From years back it was alternator out of the car and on the bench. Then you'd strip with then whole thing or just the end with the bushes. Bosch used to do one where you just pulled the bush pack out and put in a new one, but that was back in around 1982. No one near you able to recon or to and exchange? Would be loads easier. 

if you take a look on fle bay for alternator brushes you may well find replacements with diamentions to help  mutch less than 1/2 wear and it's worth replacing   you may find that they are OK but sticking in their holders because of carbon dust and a clean may fix it  you really need it on the bench  there must be something on u tube but it's pretty straight forward 

I changed the brushes to day. Worked well. Before the lights was flashing. If you use a steel wire or gaffa tape to hold the dynamo belt, it will be more easy to get it on place.

Edited by Torbo

On 12/01/2018 at 17:56, sepulchrave said:

I changed the brush pack on my 1.4 16V, it was a doddle but I did it on the bench, removing the alternator is ridiculously easy so I have no idea why you wouldn't want to do it.

Thanks. Could you let me know how to remove it?

4 minutes ago, Mouk84 said:

Thanks. Could you let me know how to remove it?

It was about 5 years ago, it was all basic hand tools (spanners), it was a 'mechanics 101' type thing requiring no thought or effort, sorry, but if you need to ask you probably shouldn't try and do the job.

On 12. januar 2018 at 18:56, sepulchrave said:

I changed the brush pack on my 1.4 16V, it was a doddle but I did it on the bench, removing the alternator is ridiculously easy so I have no idea why you wouldn't want to do it.

I also took the generator out, but took av steel wire to hold the belt, since it is much job to get it on the right place when installing.