Considering a MK2 vRS tdi

Rather than going for another new, mid range spec on a PCP. I am considering a used MK2 vRS tdi for a few years and buying cash. 

Is there anything I should be wary of?

I am off to view one tomorrow that looks very nice. 

I liked my MK2. I felt the size was more to my taste. Just that little bit smaller than MK3

Seen one with full service history in red that I like the look of. Think it has 18" wheels, xenon's and leather interior. 

46 minutes ago, kevberlin said:

Tyre noise and poor ride on low profile tyres (on our roads) led me to sell mine. Otherwise, it was great.

I agree.  Had my 2012 car since mid-2013.  The poor ride is my only complaint. 

• Like 1

Hi, I have owned a couple and love them. The comfort level even compared to the standard Octavia is bad! they are very hard ride and noisey unless your on brand new tarmac but the firm ride is something of a trade off because you can throw it into a corner and come out smiling everytime. I like the stiffness now but it took a couple of months.

I would urge you to try one with the DSG before buying the manual because sport mode on that DSG box is way faster than most people can change gear.

I have only had diesels MPG for me is much less than above I average 37mpg but if safe too I drive it like I stole it!

Look if its had-cam belt change , DSG service, quality brakes and pads can run into £250. my 12 plate had a whistling back window Skoda replaced the seal free. how many stone chips on bonnet area? I drive mine fast and have plenty stone chips so avoid if you want one thats not been ragged lol. many dont come with a spare wheel as standard, check the air con is working well it could be costly, try to find out what kind off driving it has done because you may suffer with DPF problems if its just a run around town car they need some motorway driving to keep them running smooth and lastly check tyre condition because your looking at £100 a corner for good tyres and you really do want good tyres !

I generally get around 52-56 mpg daily driving on b-roads, and 60 on a decent motorway route. Drops about 10% If I give it a bit of a thrash though!

I had a 1.9 tdi before the vRS, which was a lot more comfortable on bad roads.

I've just replaced the budget tyres on the front, have put 10k miles on the car in a year. Decent tyres make a massive difference, and regular servicing makes for a smoother drive

Edited by Mikey223w
Additional info

With my MK2 1.6tdi. I never had any issues with dpf in the time I had it. And it did a mixture of driving. So fingers crossed it will be ok. 

I am.not really fussed about the dsg. I have a budget and I think I may struggle to get a dsg. Certainly within a reasonable distance of where I live. 

The one I am looking at has a full main dealer service history. And has had cam belt done in last 20k miles. 

I have kept promising myself a vRS since I first got a Skoda. Never had one yet although my MK1 was pretty quick after I had modded it. But still no vRS. This seemed like a good way to go with the cost against another expensive PCP. Hopefully I will get a good one and it will do me for a few years. 

4 hours ago, roblatus said:

Heres a pic of the car in question:-

vRS.thumb.jpg.ff48e3f1527377a22a96f2fbd59ab60e.jpg

Wondered if anyone on here had owned it?

The bright red "rally" flaps alone would put me off personally, it's a Diesel Octavia, not some sort of rally car....

Just a personal thing I guess. I would rather have some mud flaps which may actually help protect the paintwork slightly than a remapped one tbh. 

The only thing I would have liked is parking sensors. Having had them, they are quite useful when in a tight space. 

Plus the red ones always  look best. ;-)

5 minutes ago, roblatus said:

Just a personal thing I guess. I would rather have some mud flaps which may actually help protect the paintwork slightly than a remapped one tbh. 

The only thing I would have liked is parking sensors. Having had them, they are quite useful when in a tight space. 

Plus the red ones always  look best. ;-)

I agree with the flaps but you can buy genuine ones from Skoda that are designed for the car and don't look like you wish you owned a Subaru...    

You could argue the same regarding a remap. Could have just bought a faster car in the first place. 

I think i  can see what’s happening here though. 

I liked the look of your car. But it’s more than I am prepared to pay. So you belittle a car I am interested in and has an equally good service record as your own. But is in my price range. Quite what you are hoping to achieve is beyond me. But if it keeps you happy. Fair play. Lol

Edited by Guest

14 minutes ago, roblatus said:

You could argue the same regarding a remap. Could have just bought a faster car in the first place. 

I think i  can see what’s happening here though. 

I liked the look of your car. But it’s more than I am prepared to pay. So you belittle a car I am interested in and has an equally good service record as your own. But is in my price range. Quite what you are hoping to achieve is beyond me. But if it keeps you happy. Fair play. Lol

Lol indeed, you've asked an open forum for opinions on what to look out for on this particular car, I've merely pointed out that you might want to consider that someone's had a pop at modding it with some interesting "rally" flaps at the very least...       If you don't want opinions, don't ask.   :/ 

Good timing though. Lol

its just a bit odd that despite this post being up for a while you start commenting immediately after I decline your offer of  possibly buying your car, which I might add, has had someone having a pop at modifying it. Lol. 

All because I don’t want to buy your car. It’s a bit pathetic really. 

Perhaps the the mods should shut this down now as I only wanted some advice as a long term member of this forum. Yet you obviously have a different agenda. 

Thanks to to all the decent people who replied, much appreciated 

Edited by Guest

Well i went to view it today.

Looked as good in the metal as the photos. 

So, i bought it. Really impressed on the 1 hour drive home. almost 60mpg too.

I am not 100% sure if i will keep the mud flaps, or the splitter. not fully decided yet.

Finally after 12 years since i got my Mk1Octavia, i have a vRS. :-)

Even got a bit off the price too, to bring it in UNDER my budget and all in all a pleasant buying experience.

Feel like i should get some briskoda stickers now that i have something that qualifies.

Thanks again for the tips useful people :-)

4 minutes ago, PSM said:

Bear in mind the normal Skoda mudflaps do not fit the VRS exactly. They can be made to fit I believe but a bit of a fiddle.

That's good to know. Thanks. :-)

Well done, I will look out for you when I'm driving my truck to Wilton carpets.

with regards to the mudflaps , if it was my car I would fit the original ones and I would just go to Skoda for them they are about £15 for front and same for the rear.

Sounds pretty reasonable. Someone else said they need some adjustment to fit a vRS though. 

Went out for a blast in the car tonight. It is very impressive. Long time since I just went out for a drive for the sake of it. The xenon headlights are awesome too. It's quite comfortable just trundling around but when you give it the beans it's a different beast it seems to me. That's my first impression anyway.