Citigo instrument binnacle.

Ronn

Benefit of Turbo for most people is acceleration not Top End speed.

We can’t go over 70 (legally in UK anyway) & most only do Low 80’s on our motorways.

So, I don’t see an issue here.

After all, I have no intention of holidaying to the Nurburgring.

Well, not in my Little Turbo I.0 Citigo anyway.

Regarding the other point I made,

Car manufacturers should keep up with latest technology & install it.

Far cheaper to have one latest quality item & buy/install millions of them, than for Manufactures to hold stocks of 3 Instrument Cluster designs & have 3 stocks to manage & 3 different assy lines to facilities or control.

After all, we cannot specify Cross Ply Tyres & a single Wiper Blade anymore to keep the prices down.

☺️☺️

• Thanks 1

Driveability is ruined if gear ratio is too long. Turbo doesn't help in that case. It's annoying if you have to select 2nd gear at turnings. Now citigo goes well on 3rd gear. 

At least a car magazine here said gear ratio is too long in turbo up! There's no reason why not to believe. They tested small cars back in -13 and Citigo won. ;)

I wouldn't pay for maxi dot alone, but it comes with cruise control, which is most needed in these cars. Should I say I want that cruice control should be in every Citigo? No, because I realize that not everyone wants to pay for it.

They don't keep car parts at the stock these days at the factory. They order what is needed. 

It’s lovely talking to you Emil, so I can get another perspective on people’s driving techniques.

Personally, I don’t mind going ‘up & down’ the box as required!

It makes the driving more involving.

There is another alternative, to go for an Automatic which, I assume you can get in the Turboed version.

Although I believe the Auto Box fitted in Citigo isn’t a great success.

For example Nissan Micra has very long gear ratios. It's not as fun to drive as Citigo is at the moment. Maybe I go and test drive turbo up! some day. Then I know what it is. 

I think there is no room for real automatic in a Citigo. ASG is sharing opinions, but for sure it isn't a real automatic gearbox. 

Emil, you speak with much wisdom.

Its been an education for me to talk to you.

perhaps we may talk again on this forum but relating to another Skoda Issue.

Ron.

I'm just very satisfied for Citigo as it is. Just made a new Citigo for me online today. No real reason to trade for new really, but maybe in future. At this moment I think my next car is also Citigo. It would be fourth. :)

Update:

Customer services raised a query with the factory and got back to me today. All Citigos whatever trim level now ship with a single dial instrument binnacle unless maxidot is specified. Despite the clear statement in the brochure (p6) that all trims above S get rev counter and fuel guage. (They pointed me to the small print get out clause at the back). So my new car will look more basic than the "identical"  15 plate it replaces. Rather takes the shine off a new car. Build is confirmed so cannot change it.

Does any one know how the single dial shows fuel? There does seem to be an upgrade from the awful green backlit LCD window. Does it show fuel as a bar? Please don't say I just wait for the low fuel light. I know it's  a cheap car but....!

20 minutes ago, scr64 said:

Update:

Customer services raised a query with the factory and got back to me today. All Citigos whatever trim level now ship with a single dial instrument binnacle unless maxidot is specified. Despite the clear statement in the brochure (p6) that all trims above S get rev counter and fuel guage. (They pointed me to the small print get out clause at the back). So my new car will look more basic than the "identical"  15 plate it replaces. Rather takes the shine off a new car. Build is confirmed so cannot change it.

Does any one know how the single dial shows fuel? There does seem to be an upgrade from the awful green backlit LCD window. Does it show fuel as a bar? Please don't say I just wait for the low fuel light. I know it's  a cheap car but....!

What trim did you order? All 67 plates (above trim level ‘S’) on autotrader have 3 instrument binnacles.

I tried TSI UP! today. I'm happy I did. Engine and gear ratios were excellent! I mean really. I liked the way it goes. Yes, gear ratios are longer but it doesn't really matter as there is plenty a power. 

Now I just try to calm down and not to buy it. :D

@Ronn whilst I'm sorry to hear what's happened with your new car order I am very glad you made this thread as without it I likely would have been in the same position as you and not specified the Maxi-dot display. 

The brochure is very unclear and the configurator does not explain the specific details of the various options very well either. 

33 minutes ago, Jonny118118 said:

What trim did you order? All 67 plates (above trim level ‘S’) on autotrader have 3 instrument binnacles.

Ordered SE L Greentech to replace similar. I too checked new cars on autotrader and saw the same. My old style 3 dial cluster  is not in the brochure (aug 17 or jan 18) and does not appear on the configurator, hence my inquiry. Would make sense to have 2 not three binnacles. Perhaps clearing old stock for build year 17.

Anyway, that's the word from the factory. I'll see what arrives.

• Like 1

reply to Jonny118118.

What you tell me is an absolute disgrace.

VW/Skoda are taking The P**s surely!

VW/Skoda are taking us back to the 1950’s!

Everyboby knows that Drivers love a Rev Counter on the Dashboard.

And those awful ‘light bar’ Fuel Gauges, now, they are really cheap & nasty!

Those ‘light bar’ Fuel Gauges are like LCD watches compared to an analogue watch -  BLOODY AWFUL.

You say they are also sticking with the LCD odometer under the Speedo.

I’ve got the 3 clock Citigo with the LCD odometer, it’s almost impossible to read while driving. I have to take my eye off the road & look at it for 2/3 seconds before I can read what it says.

42 minutes ago, Ronn said:

reply to Jonny118118.

What you tell me is an absolute disgrace.

VW/Skoda are taking The P**s surely!

VW/Skoda are taking us back to the 1950’s!

Everyboby knows that Drivers love a Rev Counter on the Dashboard.

And those awful ‘light bar’ Fuel Gauges, now, they are really cheap & nasty!

Those ‘light bar’ Fuel Gauges are like LCD watches compared to an analogue watch -  BLOODY AWFUL.

You say they are also sticking with the LCD odometer under the Speedo.

I’ve got the 3 clock Citigo with the LCD odometer, it’s almost impossible to read while driving. I have to take my eye off the road & look at it for 2/3 seconds before I can read what it says.

Is yours the green LCD display? I agree, that was hard to read while driving, but I didn’t need to look at it as it didn’t display any info I required. 

The one with the Maxi-Dot is alot, lot better imo. Easy to glance at and is viewable in all conditions. It provides so much more info which I like. 

Sorry @scr64 I should stop mentioning Maxi-Dot. It’ll just make you more angry at your dealer! :angry:

Edited by Jonny118118

1 hour ago, Jonny118118 said:

Sorry @scr64 I should stop mentioning Maxi-Dot. It’ll just make you more angry at your dealer! :angry:

I will be meeting with dealer on Thursday. Not their fault tbh, but I will be voicing my displeasure and contacting Skoda UK. No big deal in the grand scheme of things, but just a basic expectation that if you have the luxury of spec'ing and ordering a brand new car, there should be a reasonable chance of it arriving with the trim and colour you ordered! Not too much to ask.

• Like 1

Maxi-Dot wasn't ordered in this case. So the car comes with normal gauges. That's the way it's been at least from year -6 when I bought a new Octavia. Dealer should know and tell it.

Reply to Jonny118118

Been to the Dealership today.

unless you specify MaxiDot (or whatever they call it) & pay extra, you get the single Clock as shown in the L/H picture below, on any model of Citigo you order.

Crap isn’t it.

43BC8A7D-39E4-4DA6-9770-550F7BA399CA.jpeg

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ronn said:

Reply to Jonny118118

Been to the Dealership today.

unless you specify MaxiDot (or whatever they call it) & pay extra, you get the single Clock as shown in the L/H picture below, on any model of Citigo you order.

Crap isn’t it.

43BC8A7D-39E4-4DA6-9770-550F7BA399CA.jpeg

You’d think Skoda would want to improve their cars (and usually they do...) but this isn’t good, it is, like you say.. crap!! 

9 minutes ago, Jonny118118 said:

You’d think Skoda would want to improve their cars (and usually they do...) but this isn’t good, it is, like you say.. crap!! 

The only possible way you could decipher this is by looking at how the dash image changes when you add the multi function display. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DC-1 said:

The only possible way you could decipher this is by looking at how the dash image changes when you add the multi function display. 

And it is a big improvement but it’s an option. They should still do an upgrade or kept them as they are instead of down-grading them!! 

Yes, I would imagine it’s purely an accountancy exercise.

Let accountants get near anything and you end up with an inferior, less beautiful product.

We will just have to see if the sales ‘holdup’.

Reply to Jonny118118.

The point is, if you are going to only have 1 Instrument on a Car Dashboard.

You DON’T put it in a DOME SHAPED binnacle.

Aesthetically, it looks BLOODY AWFUL.

What you do is make a feature of the single instrument & put it in an exposed position, maybe as a separate item above or infront of the Dashboard.

Mind you, the Germans have never been noted for their style.☺️

What they’ve done here reminds me of the dark days of British Leyland, cheapo & ghastly.

Now then, isn’t everything very confusing.

Jonny118118 on this site has on order a brand new Citigo SE L & he HASN’T paid for or ordered the Maxi-Dot instrument Display so he thought he would get the ‘normal’ 3 instrument display of Speedo, Rev Counter & Fuel Gauge.

The Salesman at the Dealership wasn’t sure so, the Salesman phoned THE FACTORY.

The Factory told the Salesman that ANYBODY who orders a New Citigo in ANY Spec, will receive the car with only ONE INSTRUMENT - The Speedo.

(which I guess will include some sort of Fuel Gauge, probably the awful ‘Illuminated Bar’ type in the Speedo Dial).

So,

There you have it - from THE FACTORY, straight from the ‘horses mouth’.