Bluetooth Install - Replace Bolero with Android Head Unit or install Fiscon Basic Plus?

Hi,

I've got a 2012 Octavia Estate with a Bolero installed which I'm looking to get kitted out with Bluetooth. There are no media buttons on the steering wheel and I don't have a MaxiDot.

From my research I've got two options - install a Fiscon Basic Plus or OEM unit and run Bluetooth via the Bolero OR replace the Bolero with a new head unit which includes Bluetooth and a mic. 

Has anyone got any advice on which is the better option for my situation? Would also be interested in which one is more cost effective - my Occy has 260k miles on the clock and whilst it drives like it's only got 20k on the clock I don't want to spend too much in case it explodes ;)

Cheers,

Mike

EDIT: I'm using one of those crap FM transmitters for Bluetooth at the moment which has a pretty awful hiss no matter what frequency I tune it too. Unfortunately no AUX IN on the Bolero as I don't have the armrest so can't use a 3.5mm jack to Bluetooth dongle.

Edited by mikecsmith

I have a Erisin unit, Android had it nearly 12 months no issues and it's plug and play with built in CANBUS, retains all OE functions, doors, aircon etc and works with Maxidot, was 250 quid thereabouts UK supplied, fits straight in and uses the OE surround, BT is good, Sat Nav is good, radio and SD music, BT music streaming, it does everything.

Mine is a quad core with 2G/16G, but the newer ones are octa core with Android 7, mine is Android 5.1 I think but the price is about the same for the newer ones.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Android-7-1-2-Car-DVD-Stereo-for-SKODA-OCTAVIA-CD-Bluetooth-GPS-SatNav-DAB-DVR/112613400861?hash=item1a3848211d:g:mkUAAOSwQS1aLzLn

Edited by T2000

Start at the bottom of the surround by the cubby hole and pull gently it will pop out then work it slowly all around, it comes off fairly easy, you will then see 4 torx screws, remove those and the Bolero will come out, unplug the big ISO plug and Fakra aerial connector and remove radio, fit new Android by plugging the ISO plug back in, with the Fakra connector you will have to rotate the two wires 180degrees they just twist and then fit it to the new Android, screw in the supplied wifi aerial and if you want a USB socket for charging or pen drive etc plug one in the back and route it to the top cubby.

Replace the 4 torx screws and refit surround, takes about 10 minutes all in, it's a doddle and plug and play, I also added a front dashcam which is just USB plug and play and I routed a spare phone charge cable down the left behind the surround as there is enough space and it goes into the lower cubby.

On 16/01/2018 at 18:04, T2000 said:

I have a Erisin unit, Android had it nearly 12 months no issues and it's plug and play with built in CANBUS, retains all OE functions, doors, aircon etc and works with Maxidot, was 250 quid thereabouts UK supplied, fits straight in and uses the OE surround, BT is good, Sat Nav is good, radio and SD music, BT music streaming, it does everything.

Mine is a quad core with 2G/16G, but the newer ones are octa core with Android 7, mine is Android 5.1 I think but the price is about the same for the newer ones.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Android-7-1-2-Car-DVD-Stereo-for-SKODA-OCTAVIA-CD-Bluetooth-GPS-SatNav-DAB-DVR/112613400861?hash=item1a3848211d:g:mkUAAOSwQS1aLzLn

I've got an 06 MKII with Maxidot - do you know if this Erisin will work (straight swap)?

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 13:12, Rjg said:

My car came with a Fiscon unit. Using the phone is fine, but the audio streaming quality is diabolical. 

This. It's telephone quality Mono... utter dog mess.

I've tried all the codes to make it into stereo, nothing works.

I'd go Android!

3 hours ago, huskie69 said:

I've got an 06 MKII with Maxidot - do you know if this Erisin will work (straight swap)?

It will but some people have reported battery drain due to a Canbus issue but I don't have enough info.