Swap FL vRS169 for vRS245?

On 1/17/2018 at 07:15, Cm11 said:

In another thread on here the vrs 245 has been putting out more than the quoted figures I’m pretty sure I’ve seen 250-260 on the rollers 

A very accurate set of rollers had my 245 showing 252hp at the wheels running Tesco's Momentum ron99 fuel in standard tune

44 minutes ago, Gti Jazz Blue said:

My FL 230 has DCC as well but it was an option specified at order time by the Dealer (Ex-Demonstrator).

Yes DCC is an option on both the 230 & 245

36 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

A very accurate set of rollers had my 245 showing 252hp at the wheels running Tesco's Momentum ron99 fuel in standard tune

And are you sure that doesn't include some allowance for the drivetrain losses?

Otherwise (working on 15% losses) your standard tune is looking like kicking out 290bhp at the flywheel, which surely seems just a bit too much. 

Did you have your inlet mods still in place?  If so 252 at the flywheel seems fair enough from a car rated at 242 on 95RON. 

36 minutes ago, juan27 said:

And are you sure that doesn't include some allowance for the drivetrain losses?

Otherwise (working on 15% losses) your standard tune is looking like kicking out 290bhp at the flywheel, which surely seems just a bit too much. 

Did you have your inlet mods still in place?  If so 252 at the flywheel seems fair enough from a car rated at 242 on 95RON. 

Having checked their website yes, estimated at the flywheel values & yes air intake mods in place but, I am actively looking for an R600 intake!!!

The car ran 252.9bhp & 280FtLb with a sports air filter, standard Airbox & enlarged air intake.

It then ran 290.8bhp & 330FtLb with a DTUK tuningbox running v1 software, which has since had the v2 release of the software giving a little more top end grunt which has yet to be rolling roaded again.

JKM PORTSMOUTH look them up if you like, red lines as without tuningbox blue with

20171028_143544.jpg

Edited by themanwithnoaim

16 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Straight measurements from the wheels & yes air intake mods in place but, I am actively looking for an R600 intake!!!

JKM PORTSMOUTH look them up if you like

I know JKM well, used to live near them. Nice people who know their onions.

Edited by juan27

1 hour ago, juan27 said:

What I'm questioning is if the figures represent power at the wheels or at the flywheel.  I understand the date was collected with a rolling road but if the figure represents BHP at the wheels the resulting stock flywheel figure (+15%) is a bit mad at 290.

Sorry I've edited my post having checked their website, I can only presume you'd started posting, got called away & not refreshed prior to posting

3 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Sorry I've edited my post having checked their website, I can only presume you'd started posting, got called away & not refreshed prior to posting

Fair enough glad that's cleared up!

Thank you everyone for your input. 

Can anyone one please confirm, is the engine and turbo the same in the facelift 230 and 245? 

I’m assuming it’s just a tune that gets the additional power?

in terms of running gear, the diff and 7 speed dsg is what I can see as the only difference. 

Any clarity on the above would be great. 

5 minutes ago, uno234 said:

Can anyone one please confirm, is the engine and turbo the same in the facelift 230 and 245? 

in terms of running gear, the diff and 7 speed dsg is what I can see as the only difference. 

I would like to know please, if the engine/turbo in the Pre FL 230 is the same as the FL 230 ?

Thanks in advance folks

AG

On 1/21/2018 at 10:54, uno234 said:

The 245 also has bigger back brakes and a different exhaust, however I think the engine is fundamentally the same.

There has been some information about revisions to the FL VRS engine/turbo (see earlier in the thread) but its not clear if these are just the 245 or the 230 too.  They aren't really performance enhancing things so I would wager the FL 230 has them too.

They aren't anywhere as major as the change from the cam belt to cam chain engine in the Mk2 FL. 

On 22/01/2018 at 22:32, juan27 said:

The 245 also has bigger back brakes and a different exhaust, however I think the engine is fundamentally the same.

There has been some information about revisions to the FL VRS engine/turbo (see earlier in the thread) but its not clear if these are just the 245 or the 230 too.  They aren't really performance enhancing things so I would wager the FL 230 has them too.

They aren't anywhere as major as the change from the cam belt to cam chain engine in the Mk2 FL. 

Thank you for your informative reply juan27. 

Does the FL 230 and 245 have the same size front brakes as the Golf R?

Not sure if the rear FL 230 brakes are vented discs or not either. Will go out and check shortly. 

So has anyone had their FL 230 baarp and snaarl during a DSG up shift?

I’ve now seen a couple of car review videos on YouTube where they show the FL 230 (not 245) give out that cool exhaust note, I’d love to try and replicate this. 

Any hints or tips on how to do this?

Press the VRS button on centre console > Select Sports Mode > Accelerate to redline?

or would you need to be in manual mode?

Cheers

1 hour ago, uno234 said:

So has anyone had their FL 230 baarp and snaarl during a DSG up shift?

I’ve now seen a couple of car review videos on YouTube where they show the FL 230 (not 245) give out that cool exhaust note, I’d love to try and replicate this. 

Any hints or tips on how to do this?

Press the VRS button on centre console > Select Sports Mode > Accelerate to redline?

or would you need to be in manual mode?

Cheers

My Mk 5 and 6 GTi both did it when DSG was in S Mode

4 hours ago, uno234 said:

Does the FL 230 and 245 have the same size front brakes as the Golf R?

Not sure if the rear FL 230 brakes are vented discs or not either. Will go out and check shortly. 

I believe the 230 rear brakes are solid  The 230/245 has the same front brakes (340mm) as the Golf R.  

18 hours ago, KevC_Derby said:

My Mk 5 and 6 GTi both did it when DSG was in S Mode

Apologies to sound so newbie like, but is S mode VRS Sports mode selected from the Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC) or is it S from the DSG gear selector?

Are they even different?

5 hours ago, uno234 said:

Apologies to sound so newbie like, but is S mode VRS Sports mode selected from the Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC) or is it S from the DSG gear selector?

Are they even different?

It was DSG S mode