Swap FL vRS169 for vRS245?

2 hours ago, Muzza80 said:

I was under the impression the 245 runs the same IS20 turbo as the rest of the MK3 petrols and there was simply a software update to increase the power?    

Id like clarification on that aswel, im still looking for confirmation on which model gearbox it is. I know its wet 7 speed, but is it the dq341 or?

2 hours ago, Muzza80 said:

I was under the impression the 245 runs the same IS20 turbo as the rest of the MK3 petrols and there was simply a software update to increase the power?    

I think it might have a different exhaust, but yes I reckon most of that power increase is software.  I'm coming from a Mk2 VRS TSi with around 200bhp and I can't say the 245 feels in a different ball park power wise. The figures don't lie.     

If it does have a different turbo/injectors/manifold to the FL 230 that's a very expensive approach to getting an extra 15 horses.

5 minutes ago, ClarkyStu said:

Where have you got the confirmation on this please buddy? I was led to believe it was the newer 381 which is the same as the S3 and such but a 2wd variant.

Various sources mate, the 380 is the 2wd version of the 381, just less a transfer box.   

http://www.tvsengineering.nl/en/gearbox/dsg/dq380.html

1 hour ago, stepdavi said:

More than just software changes. Seems expensive way of getting 15bhp and 20nm. Either way it's fun.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/skoda/skoda-octavia-vrs-245-2017-review/

I would take article that with a big pinch of salt.   

Edited by juan27

On 1/15/2018 at 08:20, Muzza80 said:

It still is the IS20 but from what i was told a different revision to the 220/230.

When I went to pick up me car I was talking to the Skoda Tech who also has a 230.  I jokingly said couldn't he flash his car with a 245 map.  He told me that there were other changes to the turbo, injectors and manifold and not just a software update.  

The reviews also mention changes listed below.

Revised Turbo

Pistons

Oil pump

Manifold

Injectors

timing chain

DSG  DQ380

https://youtu.be/NcCstkRZVWw

https://youtu.be/o03PeuHxWJg

Edited by pkoconnor

On 15/01/2018 at 01:05, stepdavi said:

I know the pre fl 230 has the vaq diff. But the op has a couple of months old car which means it will be the fl 230 which doesn't have the diff.

Yep I have the facelift 230 (169kw June 17 build)

2 hours ago, pkoconnor said:

It still is the IS20 but from what i was told a different revision to the 220/230.

When I went to pick up me car I was talking to the Skoda Tech who also has a 230.  I jokingly said couldn't he flash his car with a 245 map.  He told me that there were other changes to the turbo, injectors and manifold and not just a software update.  

The reviews also mention changes listed below.

Revised Turbo

Pistons

Oil pump

Manifold

Injectors

timing chain

DSG  DQ380

https://youtu.be/NcCstkRZVWw

https://youtu.be/o03PeuHxWJg

Are the mods listed for the FL VRS in general or just the 245?  The 245 is effectively the Golf GTi Performance Pack.....I'd be quite surprised if the PP has a significantly different engine to the GTi. 

True enough you may not be able to just apply the 245 map to a pre FL 230, but you can easily remap even a 220 to produce more than power than the 245, so I still believe the power increase is mainly software.

I am interested in the inlet manifold, as if that "Car" article is to be believed the new manifold doesn't use the additional indirect injectors introduced to the Mk3 which I had hoped would stop the inlet ports getting messed up with carbon deposits like the Mk2.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, uno234 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Surely those engine tweaks and mods are being blown out of the water?!?!?

Sounds to me as though they are just run of the mill revisions and certainly not specific to the VRS 245.   I reckon its just filler for the press release because their isn't really too much to say about the FL VRS beyond the marginal power increases.

One things pretty much for sure, there's very little under the bonnet of the VRS 245 that wasn't orginally developed for another car in the VW stable.  

I wonder how many of those mods can be found on the low power mud-plugger version of the 2.0 fitted to the Kodiak? 

Edited by juan27

I test drove a 230 DSG and then brought a 245 DSG & I could definitely tell the difference.

Not so much in acceleration but when to really throw it into corners the diff ( plus DCC ) really do set it apart from the normal vRS

4 hours ago, Cm11 said:

In another thread on here the vrs 245 has been putting out more than the quoted figures I’m pretty sure I’ve seen 250-260 on the rollers 

I’ve been frequenting VW orientated forums for a number of years now and the general consensus is that all VAG cars put out more than the book figure. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cm11 said:

In another thread on here the vrs 245 has been putting out more than the quoted figures I’m pretty sure I’ve seen 250-260 on the rollers 

2 hours ago, SC03OTT said:

I’ve been frequenting VW orientated forums for a number of years now and the general consensus is that all VAG cars put out more than the book figure. 

Certainly if the 245 is understated then the 230 must be too.....otherwise you'd have thought 30 extra ponies would have a more significant effect on the performance figures. 

Not sure I'm convinced however. Why would VW understate ALL power outputs? 

1 minute ago, juan27 said:

Certainly if the 245 is understated then the 230 must be too.....otherwise you'd have thought 30 extra ponies would have a more significant effect on the performance figures. 

Not sure I'm convinced however. Why would VW understate ALL power outputs? 

Book figures could be minimum outputs at the worst conditions of the specifications? I dunno, just guessing. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

Book figures could be minimum outputs at the worst conditions of the specifications? I dunno, just guessing. 

I suspect that is the case - they will state the lowest figure obtainable - don't forget that most will be running higher octane rated fuel with probably lower than the ambient temperature than they run in some world-wide markets.

3 hours ago, SC03OTT said:

It does seem that VRS drivers have been blessed with extra Bhp and they are happy to discuss it....er until they have an accident and insist to their insurers that their car is standard 220/230/245 :sweat:  :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Gti Jazz Blue said:

I suspect that is the case - they will state the lowest figure obtainable - don't forget that most will be running higher octane rated fuel with probably lower than the ambient temperature than they run in some world-wide markets.

IIRC some manufacturers (Ford springs to mind) used to caveat all power/performance figures with some disclaimer about them being average production models in normal operating conditions.   

But if they are worst case scenario for VW Group these days you'd think other manufacturers would have to follow a similar approach?  

And....if UK petrol and conditions routinely mean cars are producing significantly more power than the published worst case scenario, why don't UK road tests generally reflect improved performance?   

Edited by juan27

9 hours ago, SC03OTT said:

My relatively lowly 220 DSG definitely feels more than 217 bhp.  I ran a 275 bhp TVR Chimaera (1100kgs or so) and that didn't feel a great deal faster although, good God, it sounded better! ;-)  

• Like 1

On 1/17/2018 at 07:15, Cm11 said:

It also occurs to me that most 245s won't have done many miles, so probably haven't even reached their max power ouput yet. Petrol comsumption on mine has definitely improved now its done over 5K.  

• Like 1

On 17/01/2018 at 22:07, OliR said:

I test drove a 230 DSG and then brought a 245 DSG & I could definitely tell the difference.

Not so much in acceleration but when to really throw it into corners the diff ( plus DCC ) really do set it apart from the normal vRS

You test drove the facelift 230 (169TSI)?

My facelift 230 (169TSI) has DCC. 

5 minutes ago, uno234 said:

You test drove the facelift 230 (169TSI)?

My facelift 230 (169TSI) has DCC. 

My FL 230 has DCC as well but it was an option specified at order time by the Dealer (Ex-Demonstrator).