Yet another headlight thread - Nightbreaker Update

rum4mo,  i could not believe the Forth Crossing lights the first time i crossed at night at 40 mph.

Then next time at 50 mph they were not on.

Now at 70 mph they seem not so bad, is that them just dirty or have they shaded them some?

Yesterday at 70 mph it was 50 mph actually as someone decided that was the speed we should follow them at.

11 hours ago, peter3197 said:

Bought the Lasers in H4 form off Ebay for £15.74. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nightbreaker-Laser-H4-472-130-Twin-Box-Car-Headlight-Bulbs-Osram-64193NBL-HCB/291924335538?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Put one in, the easy one on the offside, to compare with the Unlimiteds. Report back after this evening.

Well, here's the report. I can't see much difference between the Unlimited and the Laser, therefore I will not be bothering to change the N/S bulb until I need to. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bigtow said:

I know it is a lot of work but is there any options to fit better projector style headlamp units or upgrade to LED units? 

Personally I have found the reflector headlights to be perfectly adequate, put decent bulbs in and make sure the headlights are set up correctly. Often they are set too low from the factory and are never checked. I have no knowledge of any other conversions available.

16 hours ago, rum4mo said:

I'm guessing that you are well (not) impressed with the height and direction of some of the carriage way side lights on the new Forth Crossing?  

I've never used the "Queensferry Xing" so can't comment. Having said that, most street lights create pools of light beneath the luminaires, and LED street lights create particularly strong ones which can stop you seeing pedestrians who are a little bit your side on an individual pole.

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

I've never used the "Queensferry Xing" so can't comment. Having said that, most street lights create pools of light beneath the luminaires, and LED street lights create particularly strong ones which can stop you seeing pedestrians who are a little bit your side on an individual pole.

Ah, well the ones that I am talking about are located at about normal car roof height or the driver of a car's eye height (forgotten which) and so you get quite a bit of bright light squirting out at you -which is not handy.

• Like 1

Very vehicle you are driving dependent, but normal cars are bad, lower sports car bl00dy awful. IME.

A bit like coming around a bend or junction even in a town and meeting a Range Rover / Vogue with cornering headlights....

Vehicle height makes a difference. Having one taller than them means you can maybe give them a taster...

not that tit for tat of dazzling other road users is acceptable.

Edited by AwaoffSki

Re the Queensferry Crossing carriageway side lighting, I think that you are right, sometimes they are on and sometimes they are not, maybe the plan is to log incidents and/or complaint against times they are on or not on, then work out which is best, sounds like the way Nicola's transport top dog would do things?

• Like 1

Regarding the Range Rovers etc and 'shadows', it's possible that the car had fully adaptive lights. 

Here's a Skoda video showing what they do- in Czech, but the video shows what's going on and you can just mute it! It's a £960 option in the Superb, including lane assist and blind spot detection, and requires the Xenon lights. 

• Like 1

Shadows are not an issue,

coming around in a street with street lighting in towns and full in the eye lights that are on dipped in the eyes of those in a city car or similar can be.

• 1 year later...

first of my 2 OSRAM 64210NBL-HCB NIGHT BREAKER LASER H7 bulbs stopped working today - guessing the other will give up sometime soon.  Fitted them 1st march 2018 so disappointing to not even get 1 years worth out of them. And yes I fitted them using gloves so as not to get any finger residue on them.

Amazon are replacing FOC but I dont think I will be buying these again if they fail within a year.  Anyone got any other suggestions?