Timing Belt & Water Pump

Eck45

9 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Which is fine, unless its chargeable, in which case it isn't.

Owners are entitled to service their cars themselves.

A 24 hour sub cost me about the same as a Haynes manual, hardly a rip-off since you'll need some sort of service/repair manual to do anything beyond basic maintenance anyway.

Basic service intervals have always been provided with the car for free. If the major manufacturers decide to take that information out of the car and store it electronically then that's fine, times change, we all have to move on.

But access to that information has to be made available to all, without charge.

erWin isn't intended for the end user, it is for the trade. To charge for that level of support is understandable if I'm charging the public for repairing and servicing VAG cars for a living.

I only intend to do basic maintenance myself so don't require instructions, I simply need to know what to change and when, but even the non-basic maintenance, I still need to know when it needs doing to be able to book it in.

It is little wonder there is so much confusion around on oil and cambelt servicing.

• Like 1

Thinking about it, it may well be more nefarious then a protection racket for the service centers.

If you "miss" your service interval for something because you had no idea it was due and the dealer never bothered to mention it either, then something breaks, I would not be surprised if they use this as a reason not to honor the warranty.

8 hours ago, pablomax said:

Thinking about it, it may well be more nefarious then a protection racket for the service centers.

If you "miss" your service interval for something because you had no idea it was due and the dealer never bothered to mention it either, then something breaks, I would not be surprised if they use this as a reason not to honor the warranty.

That had crossed my mind too.

So I went onto erWin, to save anyone else wasting €8.40 dont bother if you are using an iPad as you cant scroll properly...

This is the maintenance table for my Superb (64 plate 2015MY, 2.0Tdi 140 DSG 2wd) on the variable schedule.

• Oil & filter: 2yrs/20,000mls or as vehicle dictates
  • Inspection with expanded scope: 2yrs/40,000mls
  • Dust and pollen filter: 2yrs/40,000mls
  • Air-filter: 6yrs/60,000mls
  • Fuel filter: 60,000mls
  • Brake fluid: first change at 3yrs, then every 2yrs.
  • DSG oil & filter change: 40,000mls
  • DPF check: 120,000mls
  • Cambelt and water pump: 140,000mls (no time given)
  • Renew emergency battery for alarm system: 6yrs

I did not manage to find the details of an “Inspection with expanded scope” probably because I couldn’t scroll.

Edited by HughGabriel

A wet clutch DSG is an oil change @ 40,000 miles, not 'a check'.

anyone would be crazy to leave an Air Filter 6 years without checking, 2 years is a Major Service Check / replace,  cars might do 5,000 miles a year and get air filters filthy sitting behind traffic in a city,

so you go by the environment / locations used in, well if you are doing Servicing & Maintenance,

and not following guidelines of someone that knows nothing about you or where or how you drive.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes 

Edited by AwaoffSki

The full document (from erWin) detailing maintenance schedules for the Superb II for all engines, models and markets runs to 165 pages. It includes a checklist for each of the items listed by @HughGabriel above at

I have never bothered with the maintenance tables functionality on erWin: it's flaky as hell unless you're running an old version of Internet Explorer and just not worth the effort of trying to figure out what it's doing within the limited time window of a subscription. If you're going on there, grab the pdfs for everything: all the information needed for repair and maintenance is in there and downloadable for reading/printing at your leisure.

38 minutes ago, chimaera said:

The full document (from erWin) detailing maintenance schedules for the Superb II for all engines, models and markets runs to 165 pages. It includes a checklist for each of the items listed by @HughGabriel above at

I have never bothered with the maintenance tables functionality on erWin: it's flaky as hell unless you're running an old version of Internet Explorer and just not worth the effort of trying to figure out what it's doing within the limited time window of a subscription. If you're going on there, grab the pdfs for everything: all the information needed for repair and maintenance is in there and downloadable for reading/printing at your leisure.

With the benefit of hindsight I agree with that, and dont try to do it on an ipad!

In the final few minutes of my hour I did manage to get the pdf service manual (166pages here) to download.

Blimey, that was painful, got there in the end. The regime below is from Skoda UK after a few emails back and forth.

This is for our 2016 Skoda Octavia Scout 2.0 TDi 150PS manual so not relevant here, but it does at least show what Skoda UK Customer Services can provide if asked...

Air filter: clean housing and renew filter element – 60,000 miles

Brake fluid change - due on 04/2019

Toothed belt and tensioning roller: Renew 140,000 miles or five years

Haldex coupling: Change oil 2019-04 or 40,000 miles

Dust and pollen filter with activated charcoal layer: 40,000 miles

Fuel Filter Renew - 40,000 miles

Air filter -Renew 60,000

14 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Air filter -Renew 60,000

This amount of mileage - or 100,000 km's surprises me. I get mine changed every service (15,000 km's or 1 year). Am I mad? Its not like air filters are expensive....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRobinK said:

This amount of mileage - or 100,000 km's surprises me. I get mine changed every service (15,000 km's or 1 year). Am I mad? Its not like air filters are expensive....

Depends on how quickly the air filter gets clogged up. If the air filters were expensive and/or hard to come by, it would be okay to just dust them if they're not too terrible (especially effective using an air compressor, blowing in from the clean and out the dirty side). Not something I'd do with a Superb, every decent parts store has these filters in stock. Most cars suck in very little dust due to the construction and placement of the induction system. A lot of the particles get separated from the air before it even hits the filter. Couple that with a clean operating environment and the air filter can last a ridiculous mileage.

If you'd want to be optimal, you'd inspect the air filter every service. If it's not discolored and is relatively clean, you can leave it. Personally, I change the fuel and air filters on diesels every second oil change. The air filter could definitely last several times that, but preventative maintenance gives a certain peace of mind, I suppose. Along the lines of that if I'm going to get my hands dirty, might as well do it right, so I won't have to do it again too soon.

I've also seen dual-sport motorcycles having their filters completely clogged up after several hundred kilometers of sand mine runs. Just from sucking in dusty air, especially if tailing another bike that's kicking up dust. Not throwing sand into the following bike, but just dust.

• Like 1