VAG 2.0 BiTurbo 180bhp.. experience?

fabiamk2SE

Hi 

just looking for some thoughts really. 

Ive got a VW Transporter 1.9pd 105 at the moment and its been great but its 12 year old and im looking to change it. 

A mates got a T5 Sportline Kombi 180bhp on a 12 plate (registered 1 march) which hes selling and i could have at a good price. Its done less than 30k miles too. 

I was all set for buying it but started some research on the engine last night. It seems EGR valves are problem, which sends crap back into the cylinders and can score the bores. 

Anybody any experience with these engines? 

Trying to decide whether the engine in its self is a complete gamble (mk2 fab vrs anyone?) or  whether its just a select few? 

Also dont really know what else this engine is in other than a Amarok? 

Cheers 

The trend is to small petrol turbo power these days due to the problematic ancillaries dealing with the pollutants.

It seems Gasoline Particulate Filters (GPF) are fast approaching, so if you go that route be quick.

23 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

The trend is to small petrol turbo power these days due to the problematic ancillaries dealing with the pollutants.

It seems Gasoline Particulate Filters (GPF) are fast approaching, so if you go that route be quick.

Struggle to find many petrol T5’s tbh. 

Unless i go T6.. but thats more money

If there was a hybrid it’d be preferable from my perspective.

Otherwise have a spare couple of thou in the bank for ‘eventualities’ would be my attitude.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

If there was a hybrid it’d be preferable from my perspective.

Otherwise have a spare couple of thou in the bank for ‘eventualities’ would be my attitude.

Its not a couple of K mate. 

If it buggers the cylinder bores, its a new engine. Which is £9k apparently. Ouchh. 

• Sad 1

Just now, fabiamk2SE said:

Its not a couple of K mate. 

If it buggers the cylinder bores, its a new engine. Which is £9k apparently. Ouchh. 

That sounds somewhat extreme if only because, early on in proceedings, the EGR will default into limp home mode, I imagine due to emissions outside the acceptable range. 

Dealing with that situation will take priority.

I can’t remember anyone getting bore wear from the EGR cooler fouling.

11 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

That sounds somewhat extreme if only because, early on in proceedings, the EGR will default into limp home mode, I imagine due to emissions outside the acceptable range. 

Dealing with that situation will take priority.

I can’t remember anyone getting bore wear from the EGR cooler fouling.

Have a google mate. If they start using oil its too late, basically. 

Could risk it and put the latest EGR on anyway i guess.. but i dno how much they are...

1 minute ago, Ryeman said:

There’s a guy on VWWatercooled forum who goes by the ‘Transporter’ handle and, as a mod, is into the T5 and such like.

Try it.

Will take a look. Cheers! 

Just rang vw commercial n the tech said unless its got a D on the EGR it will eventually be an issue.. it lets crap through which acts like sand paper and scores the bores. 

Regular oil changes help but arent a fix obv. 

£1500 for the latest D type. Otherwise, **** the whole idea off and get a 140bhp one which has a different EGR and only one turbo. 

• Like 1

I had a wee look on Honest John after you posted.

Never that the stuff there can be trusted?

?

Does anyone know, were there ever T5's fitted with a DQ200 7 speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG, so needed the Service Campaign for the Synthetic Oil changed to Mineral or would that be some error on Honest John?

Driven a few Caravelle 2.0 TDI DSG and liked them.

Driven a BiTurbo pickups and Caravelle and they were just all much the same, trucked along OK.

43 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

I had a wee look on Honest John after you posted.

Never that the stuff there can be trusted?

?

Does anyone know, were there ever T5's fitted with a DQ200 7 speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG, so needed the Service Campaign for the Synthetic Oil changed to Mineral or would that be some error on Honest John?

Driven a few Caravelle 2.0 TDI DSG and liked them.

Driven a BiTurbo pickups and Caravelle and they were just all much the same, trucked along OK.

Not sure mate but i think the 180 has too much torque for the dq200? About 300 lb ft iirc. 

Ive driven this one before and it is a nice drive , no means fast but goes well enough for a van. 

Think ill just avoid the worry and look for a 140 tbh. 

Really dont want to pay £1500 for an EGR if i can help it and defo dont wanna pay £9k for an engine. Thatd be bonkers. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Aspman said:

Did they not put it in the Passat as well?

I dont know mate? 

I think thr new passat has the new version of it but not sure on the older one. 

The Golf GTD is a 2.0tdi 180bhp twin turbo.. wonder of thats the same?

edit: not sure if it is biturbo actually?

Edited by fabiamk2SE

6 minutes ago, Aspman said:

Not exactly. Thats the newer version. Which is better. 

The newer T5 sportlines get a 204bhp engine which is basically the passats 230 one.. which is different to the older 180 and doesnt suffer the same problems. 

Apparently. 

Think ill just focus my search on a 140. Its only a van anyway. I only have to pick all the **** up thats fallen over in the back if i go too quick :D 

• Haha 1

When i get a chance i need to have a word with a VW Salesperson that knows their DSG.

I had a quick look this morning at this Minibus that was already sold. a 2.0 TDI 150 ps DSG.

I asked what the DSG was and he said 7 speed, so i asked 7 speed twin dry clutch.

He had not a Scooby, what is a Twin Dry Clutch DSG he said, the engines up to 250 Nm says me. Do not need oil changes @ 40,000 miles.

No they are all 6 or 7 speed says he, they will be different from in the cars.

EDIT. 

So that is a T30, 7 speed DSG,

& the 204ps are T32, 7 speed DSG. 

DSCN3647.JPG

DSCN3646.JPG

MY18_passenger_carriers_pl.pdf

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Confused 1

Lack of interest really, he has been there long enough, i got his card, because it is not for me, but he just lost out on a £32,000 sale.

They think they are smart sometimes with a price on a window, and when you mention it they say, that is without VAT.

Well that is not unusual with a Commercial, but then do not stick them next to the road with ones with prices that do include VAT.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Lack of interest really, he has been there long enough, i got his card, because it is not for me, but he just lost out on a £32,000 sale.

They think they are smart sometimes with a price on a window, and when you mention it they say, that is without VAT.

Well that is not unusual with a Commercial, but then do not stick them next to the road with ones with prices that do include VAT.

They always do that. Its okay if you’re VAT registered but im not so if it doesnt say i end up having to contact them to find out. Usually its plus vat but they should say :D  

it seems the ones with VAT paid arent any cheaper cos for some reason people just bump up the price so its competitive with the + VAT ones. 

Bit naughty really.