new car ideas!

VRS Mike

Need to replace the citigo when the PCP deal ends and looking for inspiration.

Buying new seems to offer little value compared to 3 years ago when there were a lot of 0% deals out there, so will be buying something used.

Budget is around 17k, needs to seat 4 (ideally comfortably), petrol, 200bhp+, at least 25mpg, reasonable service and running costs, well spec’d, reliable.

I’ve been looking at the following, am I missing something that might fit the bill?

Leon Cupra 280,290,300, interior a bit poor

Octavia VRS, like hens teeth in petrol

Audi S1, clutch and other issues, not much cheaper than an S3

Audi S3, budget won’t stretch to the newer model which would be my ideal

Audi S4 ~2012, scared of running costs

Audi TT S line 230, great spec but not sure on image lol

Golf GTI (performance pack) doesn’t seem like great value and can’t stretch to an R

BMW M135i, seen a few horror stories about reliability online

BMW M3, running costs too high

GT86, possibly too cramped

Edited by VRS Mike

You can get a 335d just over 3yr old at about that price, just a little under for £19k.

313hp (330+ normally allegedly), and a real 40pmg.

1 hour ago, Aspman said:

You can get a 335d just over 3yr old at about that price, just a little under for £19k.

313hp (330+ normally allegedly), and a real 40pmg.

My commute would kill a diesel, 3 days a week 14 miles stop start traffic. We’ve got a big family car so no need for something that size. I’m really swaying towards the m135i with the body kit. Will get something with a warranty though and keep it going monthly. 

• Like 1

Much Cheapness, 

Even brand New Renault Clio RS Trophy 223ps. 

£20,000 or there about.      Fun, forget the reviews, roadtest one.

Slightly used, or not the Trophy just a RS, bargains.

1.6 T 16v Renaultsport 200 EDC.

http://autotrader.co.uk 

Edited by AwaoffSki

13 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

Much Cheapness, 

Even brand New Renault Clio RS Trophy 223ps. 

£20,000 or there about.      Fun, forget the reviews, roadtest one.

Slightly used, or not the Trophy just a RS, bargains.

1.6 T 16v Renaultsport 200 EDC.

http://autotrader.co.uk 

I never considered anything French, also at 35 I might be too old, I ruled out the Fiesta ST due to this lol

Reason i mention is they are far better than reviews IMO, and the performance bargain of the last 5 years.

There is a perfect sensible car for you then if you find one.

A SEAT Leon 1.8 TSI 180ps.

Comfortable, reliable, quite nippy and the cloak of invisibility.

With such low miles would leasing be an option for you?

Just thinking now of some of the insane Golf R deals that were around for a while.

2 hours ago, Aspman said:

With such low miles would leasing be an option for you?

Just thinking now of some of the insane Golf R deals that were around for a while.

These deals seem to have dried up or else I would be tempted. The m135i is really swaying me, performance looks great and they are quite rare and spec'd well. Number of VAG stuff without heated seats etc gets my goat

1 hour ago, kevberlin said:

Mini Countryman cooper s or the 211bhp  Countryman JOHN Cooper Works.

All my friends work for BMW and drive these, I think seeing so many around Oxford has put me off

3 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

Reason i mention is they are far better than reviews IMO, and the performance bargain of the last 5 years.

There is a perfect sensible car for you then if you find one.

A SEAT Leon 1.8 TSI 180ps.

Comfortable, reliable, quite nippy and the cloak of invisibility.

My sister has the 1.8TSI 180psi, interior is really poor, just seems cheap, it does go well though especially with DSG, all the stories of the 1.8tsi oil consumption has also put me off. It does seem like every car has issues when you look hard enough

Luckily that 1.8 TSI is like the 1.8TSI 192 ps in the Polo, and not like so many Euro 5. (well not yet.)

If reputation on TSI's bothers you then you maybe best rule out lots of 1.4 TSI / TFSI,  1.8 & 2 litre TSI / TFSI.

So many petrol VW Group cars to avoid then including A1/S1, A3/S3, A4/S4, VW Golf etc.

Some nice 5 cylinder engines around.

There is not a shortage of used petrol Octavia vRS around the country is there?

You are only buying one anyway, and that can be at much cheapness if you want it to be.

Same thing with a M135i, you only want 1 and a good one, there are enough around, and you do not even need to pay the asking prices.

Not like hens teeth or selling like hot cakes.

256 just here.

http://autocar.co.uk 

Sometimes when there are so many cars around of a certain kind that says something. Like with MINI's.

When it is Vauxhalls it says, cheap finance deals.

Edited by AwaoffSki

52 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Luckily that 1.8 TSI is like the 1.8TSI 192 ps in the Polo, and not like so many Euro 5. (well not yet.)

If reputation on TSI's bothers you then you maybe best rule out lots of 1.4 TSI / TFSI,  1.8 & 2 litre TSI / TFSI.

So many petrol VW Group cars to avoid then including A1/S1, A3/S3, A4/S4, VW Golf etc.

Some nice 5 cylinder engines around.

There is not a shortage of used petrol Octavia vRS around the country is there?

You are only buying one anyway, and that can be at much cheapness if you want it to be.

Same thing with a M135i, you only want 1 and a good one, there are enough around, and you do not even need to pay the asking prices.

Not like hens teeth or selling like hot cakes.

256 just here.

http://autocar.co.uk 

Sometimes when there are so many cars around of a certain kind that says something. Like with MINI's.

When it is Vauxhalls it says, cheap finance deals.

I had read it was only TFSI engines with timing chains that had issues?

I think my issue is I'm a spec w***e, I want all the bells and whistles, M135i would have to have the performance body kit and red leather. I'm in no rush for the right car

You need to read more then before buying a TSI then, be it Euro 5 or Euro 6, be it on Tensioners, Turbos, Piston rings or other issues.

Many more than bad obviously, then VW are always improving, then discontinuing engines then moving on.

M135i are pleniful and specced up.

Auction cars a plenty.  After all BMW did plenty Demonstrator / Lease / Management cars. Piled them high and had the bread van out there.

• Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:13, VRS Mike said:

Need to replace the citigo when the PCP deal ends and looking for inspiration.

Buying new seems to offer little value compared to 3 years ago when there were a lot of 0% deals out there, so will be buying something used.

Budget is around 17k, needs to seat 4 (ideally comfortably), petrol, 200bhp+, at least 25mpg, reasonable service and running costs, well spec’d, reliable.

I’ve been looking at the following, am I missing something that might fit the bill?

Leon Cupra 280,290,300, interior a bit poor

Octavia VRS, like hens teeth in petrol

Audi S1, clutch and other issues, not much cheaper than an S3

Audi S3, budget won’t stretch to the newer model which would be my ideal

Audi S4 ~2012, scared of running costs

Audi TT S line 230, great spec but not sure on image lol

Golf GTI (performance pack) doesn’t seem like great value and can’t stretch to an R

BMW M135i, seen a few horror stories about reliability online

BMW M3, running costs too high

GT86, possibly too cramped

Manual gearbox or DSG or Similar Auto?

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=606551036

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=606553709

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=606505597

https://usedcars.volkswagen.co.uk/en/used-cars/volkswagen/polo/18-tsi-gti-192-ps-5-dr-s3bgqkt

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201801112663670?radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&make=VOLKSWAGEN&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&sort=sponsored&price-from=16000&price-to=27500&postcode=sn119rn&aggregatedTrim=R&model=GOLF&page=1

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201711131205500?model=1 SERIES&advertising-location=at_cars&price-from=16000&price-to=18000&make=BMW&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&sort=sponsored&postcode=sn119rn&radius=1500&page=6

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201801092575246?make=BMW&price-to=18000&radius=1500&model=1 SERIES&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=sponsored&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&price-from=16000&aggregatedTrim=M135i&postcode=sn119rn&page=8

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Chris said:

I loved the M135i when I test drove one. I see loads about now though! I'm sure whatever you choose it will be great. 

There's a lot of choice of cars for not much £££ at the minute. 

The one I'm interested in has the optional body kit and 19" alloys, I cannot find another the same for sale currently, hopefully the dealer will send some high res pictures through and I can decide if it's worth the 3.5hr drive to look at it. The mrs has given me the green light so just a matter of finding the right car

Depending on age, spec and dealer (assuming BMW approved) used if it has laser cut alloys get it in writing from the dealer if the alloys have been repaired or not.

You can only repair the cut alloys twice and the cut ones oxidise like crazy. I got stiffed with that, mine are turning and BMW won't honour the warranty on them because they had been refurbed once before. Dealer had no record of a repair.

Also check the radio buttons with the lights on, they crack. I got a new radio (£1500) the month after I got the car because of this and 12 monhts on they're cracking again. It's the paint splitting due to heat from the LED underneath.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1241380

attachment.php?attachmentid=389178&d=137

I've had no other bother with the car but wee things like that take the shine off a premium product.

2 hours ago, Chris said:

There was a couple of people on here that ran M135i's and I seem to remember at least one had a replacement exhaust fitted (I think it was a genuine accessory) that made it sound even more epic. 

Yes I was watching youtube videos last night and grinning from the sounds

2 hours ago, Aspman said:

Depending on age, spec and dealer (assuming BMW approved) used if it has laser cut alloys get it in writing from the dealer if the alloys have been repaired or not.

You can only repair the cut alloys twice and the cut ones oxidise like crazy. I got stiffed with that, mine are turning and BMW won't honour the warranty on them because they had been refurbed once before. Dealer had no record of a repair.

Also check the radio buttons with the lights on, they crack. I got a new radio (£1500) the month after I got the car because of this and 12 monhts on they're cracking again. It's the paint splitting due to heat from the LED underneath.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1241380

attachment.php?attachmentid=389178&d=137

I've had no other bother with the car but wee things like that take the shine off a premium product.

It's not BMW approved used but I would want a BMW warranty sold with the car. Worst case I'd get the wheels powder coated as I hate cleaning wheels anyways. Did BMW replace your radio as part of the warranty?

31 minutes ago, VRS Mike said:

It's not BMW approved used but I would want a BMW warranty sold with the car. Worst case I'd get the wheels powder coated as I hate cleaning wheels anyways. Did BMW replace your radio as part of the warranty?

Radio was replaced the first time without argument. Yet to try for the second one,  car is due a service in April so I'll raise it then.

I didn't want laser/diamond cut alloy because I knew they are not really fit for the road. If I decide to keep the car longer term I'll have them powder coated as well.

29 minutes ago, Aspman said:

I didn't want laser/diamond cut alloy because I knew they are not really fit for the road. 

On my previous X5 it had the 20" diamond cuts wheels and they went funny in less than  three years and they weren't even used in the winter! New one has ordinary 18" alloys. I won't buy a car with them on now.