How do I remove Citigo glovebox to get at heater fan resistor pack?

Gog_32

I need to remove the glove box and dashboard assembly of a 2013 Citigo to access  the heater fan.

The fan only runs on the fastest speed (4) so it looks like the motor resistor pack is faulty.

The glovebox seems to be part of the dash panel, extending to the lefthand side of the steering column, with no obvious fixings visible.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Update - I've now unlocked the mystery and hope the following will help others  (if it reads like a Haynes manual it's probably because I've used so many over the years I can't get out of the habit).

1. Unclip gear lever gaiter to expose clip on gear lever shaft. Loosen  and remove this with pliers/screwdriver  - replace on reassembly with a Jubilee clip or equivalent. Remove gear lever knob - straight pull up.

2. Operate bonnet release lever and remove plastic U-shaped clip from forward edge of lever ( use a mirror and torch to locate) to remove lever. Remove plastic rivet fastener near lever.

3. Unclip door reveal scuff trim by front passenger seat to allow removal of  trim near front bottom corner  of door pillar (this surrounds the bonnet release lever mounting bracket)

4. The centre console has a large inverted U-shaped moulding around it on the fascia panel which can be removed by unclipping to reveal 2 self-tapping screws securing upper part of centre console. Two other screws can be found near the base of the gear lever.

5 The centre console can then be moved rearwards to reveal 3 screws near its upper edge which secure the righthand side of the glove box assembly. Note: the centre console cannot be completely removed as it is trapped by the gear lever and handbrake lever.

6. Unclip the cover on the extreme lefthand side of the dash panel to reveal 2 screws securing that side of the glove box.

7. Empty the glovebox to reduce weight before removing 3 screws from along its inner upper edge.

8.Remove the above left- and right-hand side screws of the glovebox and it should come away easily.

9. The heater fan motor resistor pack that I needed to access is secured by 2 self-tapping screws to the air ducting between the fan motor and the pollen filter housing and the wiring loom has a 4-wire plug which can be unclipped from it.

The faulty heater resistor had a disconnection on the unit bridging the two outer connector pins  - may be some sort of thermal fuse/safety cut-out and looks difficult to solder  a replacement into circuit, even if I could get one, as the original is welded to the resistors.

The Skoda part number for the resistor pack on my 2013 Citigo 1.0 60PS is 1SO959263A, currently priced at £46 !  The same part number appears to be used in VW UPs also.

I bought one from a  breaker on eBay at a very reasonable £15, incl P/P, so it's fingers crossed it lasts a bit longer than the original.

1SO959263A

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Super handy information there :)

Just a note however it is possible to remove the centre console, you can place the gear knob in third or fourth gear and drop the handbrake all the way down (I can't remember which despite only doing this a week or so back :D) you can then worm off the centre console but the handbrake button might just need holding in place to get it off, but it is possible 

Edited by Hyphons

Be sure to check the condition of your cabin/pollen filter if you don't know when/if it was changed.  The resistors rely on flow of air to keep them cool(er); low flow because of a blocked filter may hasten failure.