Performance in the snow

On 17/01/2018 at 19:57, GAG said:

What a load of arrogant know it alls you are coming across as. What makes you so sure it was the drivers fault. For all you know it could have been struck by another vehicle or had to swerve because of another vehicle. Hopefully nobody was hurt.

Yes hopefully nobody was hurt GAG, you are absolutely right.

Don't think anyone intended to be arrogant or claiming to know it all - comments were made about the bad driving attitudes and habits of some people in wintry conditions.  That may or may not apply in this unfortunate case.

Looking at the picture the car has come round a right hand bend so probably lost control there,  reason could be loss of traction due to ice on the corner or too fast only the driver will know that

Looking at the picture it could be the common thing, you are driving carefully to the conditions and someone coming towards you is not, 

or has a wide vehicle and you give them room, near coming to a stop and going to the verge and slide off.

Only the driver will know.

Pictures after accidents are not always good to show as was at the time, 

the road could have had no black top, and it could have been white out when it happened.

Edited by AwaoffSki

Really enjoying the snow performance of our 4x4 Superb with Hankook i'Pike Winter RS. It just goes on and on :) About 50 cm of snow here now so it's a lot of fun too.

The Haldex is performing very much alike the torsion drive of my Audi A4 Quattro -17

Wrong place, wrong time, it happens.

Even winter tyres don't always help on ice. P7's, blizzard, ice, no road edge visible and a dirty great big snowplough driving down the middle of the road at you, not your fault.

Glad nothing broken most importantly you.

Hope the snow plough driver was reported and his insurers foot any bill.

Thanks for the post and shame on all who bad mouthed.

Thanks for the update which puts paid to the misinformed reckless speculation about your driving ability in the snow as being the cause. Pleased to hear that nobody was injured.

Unfortunatly the bugger driving the snow plought didn’t stop but kept on his oblivious way south and never managed to get his reg ( was a bit busy at the time).

many thanks to all the other drivers who did, and to all the offers of help or lifts etc.

As you say, most important thing is people - bits of metal can be mended easier than people. Having said that, all the damage to the car is a few scratches on the front bumper, quick insurance respray and back on the road again after getting the suspension checked out at the dealer.

great car that looked after me that day.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Now, after 6 weeks and 5000 km later with 1.4 tsi Act dsg I am quite happy with its performance in snow and on icy roads. Only problem with this motor is its weight or lack of it. Meaning front is quite light and some times starting car, if parked up hill, and starting to move is quite hard when slippery. 

8 hours ago, jonesinamillion said:

Most surprising thing today was the screenwash nozzles froze solic despite using 100% Prestone yellow (display read -6)

Had the same on mine on Tuesday night, though I was using the standard forecourt screen wash. Going to put some of the heavy-duty stuff in today - hope it stops it from happening again.

Not quite as good as previous cars I've had due to wider tyres, and if I go into second too soon it stalls that little too easily (which is irritating), but my SE-L 150 TDI with Pirelli Sottozeros on it has been a fantastic companion through the snow. Had many funny looks yesterday as I was able to hill start around stuck Range Rovers and such, all people with the right car but wrong tyres / lack of talent. 

Just put the TC off, and easy on the accelerator.

Millions of vehicles with DSG's globally have to start off in 1st.

Guess who has a massive screw in the side of a winter tyre? :'( Of all bloody days for it to happen! Handling is interesting with the 205/55/16 summer tyred spare compared to the 235/45/18 winters on it! Long drive in the morning too, so had to pay Kwik Fit prices for a tyre which is (hopefully!) being delivered in the morning. £172 for a Sottozero fitted! That's after I bartered them down from £220!

Found the limits though... they don't like knee deep snow drifts. Don't think I'd have got through anything deeper and I was lucky to get through that to be honest... especially when a Superb 4x4 on summers tried to follow me and failed :D

On 1/17/2018 at 19:57, GAG said:

What a load of arrogant know it alls you are coming across as. What makes you so sure it was the drivers fault. For all you know it could have been struck by another vehicle or had to swerve because of another vehicle. Hopefully nobody was hurt.

Unless something broke on the car it WAS the driver's fault.  

Quite simple - too fast for the conditions.  In some conditions 10mph is too fast. 

As I posted my comments before any body knew anything about the incident other than what they could see in the photograph and given that the driver has come on thread and said what the cause of the accident was I think your comments are a bit late to the party. 

• Like 4