Snow.

Bignij

Hello all of our Northern brethren.

How's it performing in the snow?

We haven't had enough of the white stuff in the Midlands to have a 'play' with it.

Edited by Bignij

I have had a couple of instances in snow up here in Scotland and also in the midlands when we were down for Xmas. The snow mode has worked well l have had no slipping or heart stopping moments. However l would say that l am used to driving in snow/ice conditions .

My wife drove the kodiaq in the  snow for the first time this week and felt 'snow mode' gave her confidence that she was not going to accelerate too fast 

• Like 1

Main roads are pretty clear around here.

I've had a couple of 70+ mile round trips into Glasgow this week and the car has been steady as a rock on very wet roads, driving snow, lots of surface water.

Was 4 seasons in one day today.

Side roads in many of our residential areas - like mine - don't see the gritters, so I've had a little play on the snowy roads. A relative lives up a decent hill nearby and a few vehicles (and/or drivers) failed to climb the hill, while the Kodiaq among many other vehicles just romped up. While messing around - very carefully of course - the car is very sure footed.

You have to really provoke it to slide when turning.

I've tried the various modes, but it would take a much longer drive to really get to know the intricacies between SNOW, Offroad and Normal.

It doesn't take long for the dash warning to appear to tell you the front assist has given up.

And the headlamp steaming up is much worse than any previous vehicle, because I reckon the LED lamps are just running so cool that the condensation can't dry out.

IMG_9043.JPG

IMG_9044.JPG

IMG_9054.JPG

• Like 1

Roads were ok early this morning as we drove to our child minding duties, but it snowed all morning and the schools have been closed around these parts so had to walk 3 wee kids home early.

Gonna be interesting driving home later.

The 

85C9CACE-3AC3-46E8-9C30-EF33F5F5DDF8.jpeg

C2A9E01D-07C5-4A3A-BBDD-A9D3BD5D1237.jpeg

884BFE8F-A1C5-4AA5-9414-8A75DE5BB9A8.jpeg

• Like 1

Did quite a few miles yesterday in the big red bus with only delivery miles on the clock - had to do a few miles up farm tracks on the top of the West Pennine Moors - I just stuck it in snow mode and it felt very sure footed with the winter tyres on

Took mine through the Southern Alps last winter just after I got it, snow mode meant no dramas.

JPG processing made the quartz grey look almost blue in the mountain light.

10.jpeg.thumb.jpg.8b2499cb5c8df3f008ac0dc4a7fc0b17.jpg

12.jpeg.thumb.jpg.5d8c5b9db6566fa14be7a0deb59b8ee2.jpg

13.jpeg.thumb.jpg.4ee3dd511016080bda115ae7583aa257.jpg

19.jpeg.thumb.jpg.6e65421a79314952e10b1cd041966f68.jpg

Edited by AndyH_NZ
  • Like 1

Various, Canon 7D mk2 with different glass, Fujifilm X100F for portability, and an iPhone 7 for when I forget to bring one of the others along. Looking at the Sony A7R3 next, can't quite justify the A9, but unless Canon come up with something new soon I may well switch.

Interesting, you must be shooting at a wide aperture as my shots have much more blur to them. On a 7D2 as well. Interested in going into the MTF scene but have invested too much into Canon to move over.

• 1 month later...

Went down a hill yesterday. It was like glass. The car slid, I tried to turn into the bank but it was sliding forward even on full lock and the wheels wouldn't go over the kerb. I went down the hill sideways until the back wheel hit the opposite kerb which flipped me through 180 and I went down on the other side. I gracefully then rotated until the nose was pointed forward at the bottom of the hill and drove off.  I was in snow mode.  I was barely creeping forward and it started to slide. I don't know if winter tyres would have made a difference. The hill was like glass. I think it had been compacted by cars trying to come up the other way. It was closed today. If anything had been coming the other way it would have been messy. However, I don't think anything would've got up the other side. I like to think I can drive on snow but that was something I had absolutely no control over. Very, very scary. :sweat:

Snow mode isn't going to make the blindest bit of difference when it comes to ice. If you could see that the hill was like glass, then no offence, but you were a bit of a plonker trying to go down it...

• Haha 1

To the above post - I do think winter tyres would have been better.

I consciously did not fit winters to the Kodiaq this year as I wanted to test it out on 4x4 alone. Next year may see winter tyres fitted.

Yesterday I just got away with it. A driver in front was reversing down towards me from a sloping approach to a steep hump back bridge over a canal and he suggested I turn back too. With a red traffic light facing me I held back to get a run, but had to creep closer as the light wouldn't change without "seeing me".

In snow mode, I had to floor the throttle to get the wheels spinning to pull me up and over.  No real problems and the electronics sort most things out that would have required far more conscious driver effort in days gone by.

Half a mile later on very snowy roads the Bear and I easily romped uphill on a very snowy residential street to collect some family members from their home.. The same run was repeated later in the day.

Today my own street is covered in a good 6" of snow with no one moving to make tracks. Although part of me would like to go out and play, the sensible part says have another cuppa and watch the weather.

With a trip to Germany planned in 2 weeks I am now in a quandary about fitting winter tyres as required by German law on snow or ice.

Anyone got a set of winter lying loose in 2 weeks? :)

IMG_9452.JPG

Edited by BoxerBoy
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, WiggosSideburns said:

Snow mode isn't going to make the blindest bit of difference when it comes to ice. If you could see that the hill was like glass, then no offence, but you were a bit of a plonker trying to go down it...

I couldn't see the ice until I was on the hill. The top of the hill was 'normal' snow. Once I was on the hill, there was no turning back. I did actually stop about a quarter of the way down and contemplate turning around but thought I could do it. Hey ho. Chalk it off to experience.  Fortunately the only damage and hurt was to my pride.

48 minutes ago, BoxerBoy said:

To the above post - I do think winter tyres would have been better.

After seeing the video in the Superb section about winter tyres, so do I now. :)

Used snow mode this week. It certainly helps within the bounds of physics and the capability of the cars systems. The DSG changes gear barely above 1100rpm. Steering wheel weighting is added. The wheels slip more and the abs relaxes, I think. I get the impression the rear wheels kick in sooner on the 4x4 models. Throttle response is reduced. There is no escaping a steeper up or down hill though. The weight of the car shows in those situations. I had the front drift at low speed on a slight camber and it took a removal of all input to recover at less that 5mph. Tested a friends Superb with winter tyres and they made a significant difference on similar roads and conditions. The car pulled up inclines on ice with little fuss where the Kodiaq slipped and far less abs when braking.

• Like 1

More fun today. Tesco was busy, but some basics were unavailable. The car park was utter chaos. Loons parking in every direction.

After digging out my drive which had at least 12” of snow all over.

Just getting by on these summer Pirelli Scorpion Verde tyres.

4C70F309-2D1F-4FFE-8521-A32B2BFE644D.jpeg

23E9A5A7-4B35-46B8-ABDA-4128871A946D.jpeg

B1D52C01-024F-40BA-BC7B-D299004FC1CD.jpeg

D30EE856-1E96-40F1-8E5D-DC6EE836974D.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I knew, it's been in the garage for over 4 weeks now for warranty repairs. 

At least if I crash it will be in their courtesy car. 

On 01/03/2018 at 14:09, Bignij said:

Fortunately the only damage and hurt was to my pride.

Alas, not quite true. When I cleaned it last week, I noticed the front offside wheel has a lot of swirly scratches on it. Shouldn’t take much repairing but a ball ache nonetheless.:sadsmile:

Edited by Bignij

Winter tyres are a must in conditions like that. They are not only better for snow and ice due to their grip pattern, but for cold weather too. Whenever temperature drops below around 7oC, summer tyres rubber gets hard like plastic, and first the pattern of the summer tyres doesn't have any grip in snow/mud/ice, then it slides much easier too. Winter tyres rubber is much softer (a dream to use in the warm, sooo quiet, but wears out so quickly too :D), and when it gets to 7oC-ish, it turns to normal hardness, add the winter grip pattern to that, it makes a huge difference to summer tyres. I have two sets of wheels for my current 2WD car, with summer and winter tyres and swap them usually April and November

tyres.jpg