snow chains

Heres 1 for you lovley lot. I'm considering investing in a set of snow chains. Ive had a look on various sites on the internet. So many to choose from. Has any one bought a set. Any recomditions on what set to use?

The tyres on the car are : 225/45r17

I would look into this as i think you could cause damage if you were to use them on any sort of tarmac where there is no snow, i.e intermittent snow. Unless your happy taking them on and off all the time. 

Are you planning on using these in the alps.?

If for short distance use in the UK will Snow Socks not do?

Easy on & off unlike some Snow Chains.

DSCN3136.JPG.88cc411f936ee4ebffd08884229a87c6.JPG

Edited by AwaoffSki

I went the expensive way and bought a set of Thule/Konig K Summit (https://konigchain.com/chains/consumer-snow-chains/passenger-car/konig-k-summit.html). They have the advantage of fitting even if you have large wheels and relatively little clearance, as on a vRS for instance, and they work well with the ABS and ESP systems, plus they are very easy to fit. The downside is they cost a fair bit more than traditional chains. On the other hand, they will probably fit my future cars (provided that manufacturers stop continually increasing wheel size with every generation) so they will have been worth it at some point. So I would recommend them for ease of use but there are cheaper options out there, especially if, as you said, going to the Alps is not on your list.

I've just used a pair of snow socks in conditions that really needed them - coming down from a ski resort in the Alps immediately after a half-metre fall of snow.

They gave excellent grip and were much, much easier to fit (and take off) than the chains I have used with previous cars. Because of the stretch in the fabric and the edges, you can put them round a good three-quarters of the wheel before rolling forward to get the remaining quarter on - and they showed no sign of falling off as I did that. And after using them I put them through the washing machine and they are now nice and clean again and sitting in the back of the car for the next time.

I wouldn't consider anything else now. Though I do plan on proper snow tyres for next year, when I hope to be able to afford them (with a spare set of 16" rims instead of the current 17" ones, as for some reason the 16" snow tyres are considerably cheaper).

OK in the UK,

& European countries where Snow Socks are accepted and that Carrying Snow Chains & fitting when required is not the law.

Some Countries / Regions do now accept Snow Socks.

Used the snow socks in the Midlands snow just before Christmas. Once I got them on they were brilliant. More than enough grip for climbing and descending hills confidently. Needed a body jack to help get more clearance around the wheel though and a bit of brute force to get them seated enough self centre once moving. They last quite well on tarmac if you take it really easy. Bung em in a bin bag when you take them off. 

Bought them in the summer. £8 a pair!

@Araucaria & @BigEjit have you been fitting socks on Winter or Summer tyres? What I have been researching so far, that sock is not helpful if you already have a decent winter tyre. By the law here, I need to put winter tyre anyway, plus sometimes snow chains or other traction improvement device my be mandatory on the approach to the mountains. Such a sock, if useful in my case too, could be the answer, as chains will scratch the rim.

Pointless putting on the snow socks when your tyres are adequate and you have traction, as you might in snow,  but then on ice they can be a god send if your tyres are spining, you are not getting traction and you want up or down a slope and onto good pisted / treated / ploughed surfaces.  Or in snow when the tyres are not right for the situation.  

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

@nidza Socks over Summer tyres. Its the UK, most folks stay on Summer tyres all year round as temps can stay well above freezing for most of the winter then drop for a few days below 0'C and there is no legal requirement for winters to be fitted. When it does snow properly, we get total gridlock due to Bumbling Muppets on Summers tentatively sliding about so anyone on decent tyres gets caught in the mayhem. UK snow tends to be very wet and heavy so it binds together well for 24hrs before it crushes down and freezes to form an ice layer. If you find some socks cheap enough, why not try them out?

Otherwise Awaoffski is spot on.

• Like 2

Nidza - mine are snow socks over summer tyres. I hope to get winter tyres later this year when I'm feeling richer as they give better grip when it's cold, even in the absence of snow or ice.

I don't expect to be trying out the winter driving rules in other countries (I live in France) but on the trip down from Val Thorens to Moutiers I wouldn't have managed without something. The snow socks that I have cost about €60, so they might be a slightly better quality than the very cheap ones. They have a small number of metal studs in them which presumably help with the grip.

I would guess that about 40% of the drivers we saw that day were using snow socks. Maybe the same number with chains. The rest were either 4x4s with snow tyres, or were in difficulty. The descent took about an hour longer than usual as there were lots of drivers not coping with the hairpin bends.

• Thanks 1

I bought (but have never needed to use) a set of hybrid snow chains which have a tough elastic mesh (similar to that used for the cargo net) with small metal rings which join the mesh where it crosses.

The have the same ease of fitting like the snows socks & no flappy metal parts which can cause Wheel or bodywork damage.

https://gb.michelin-lifestyle.com/en/michelin-easy-grip-snow-chains-1

also approved for alpine use in europe apparently...

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 17:35, Stuart-h said:

Heres 1 for you lovley lot. I'm considering investing in a set of snow chains. Ive had a look on various sites on the internet. So many to choose from. Has any one bought a set. Any recomditions on what set to use?

The tyres on the car are : 225/45r17

Not approved (Skoda) for that tyre size

needs 205/50 R17 or the 205/55R16 size tyres..

Get winter tyres or winter cert (mountain/snowflake & M&S symbols) all seasons....trying to put on chains when you are in trouble is idiotic, done it decades ago helping step father & seen plenty of people at side of road struggling in numerous winter seasons up here doing the same...waste of time & dangerous IMHO...