RE-POSTED BECAUSE HAD WRONG FORUM Hey everyone, been a while since I had to use briskoda but my truck seems to dislike winter as have issue with my pickup engine that iv half sorted I think but as usual any help is appreciated, noticed lately on damp mornings the engine runs tad rough , well more so than the usual Felicia rattle lol and hesitates slightly for second when throttle applied but two days ago lost completely any top end power and slight judder from engine when pulling away? Now it's always been on list to replace the battered original HT leads so did it yesterday and it's back to normal.....kinda.    Idle is better but can hear slight hissing and if I accelerate in lower gears I can hear slightly different tone from under the bonnet. More throaty sort of sound , can only describe it as sounds similar to a car running with no air box? Just kind of worried about possible vacuum leaks as mines the 1.3 engine with a carburettor. I'm off out in it shortly so I'll post anything new an any one had experience with anything carb related I'd appreciate picking your brains lol cheers

Forgot to mention this and wondered if it's connected. Today being Wednesday an these problems seemed to start after I replaced the cam cover gasket which had a oil leak on Sunday?

I doubt your car has a carburetor. If it has an 136B engine from 1996 then what you call 'carburetor' is in fact a Bosch MonoMotronic injector unit. Am I right so far?

51 minutes ago, Skaddypikup said:

Forgot to mention this and wondered if it's connected. Today being Wednesday an these problems seemed to start after I replaced the cam cover gasket which had a oil leak on Sunday?

Try to remember what hose you left unplugged with that occasion. 

There's only 2 hoses on my cam cover, so if your looking at engine bay the oil filler on top has a wider hose on the left and a smaller hose on the right that disappears under the air filter.  I replaced them both. Still very sluggish when driven today though 

RicardoM thank you once again for your input but may be sorted now. after parking on a kerb I felt small vibration from exhaust and discovered my catalytic converter has collapsed inside, it's all just a big rattle in there by the sound of it, gonna sort it next few days 

That should explain in part rough engine run. The lambda sensor gets excessive oxygen and in turn the ECU injects more fuel than necessary.