Help please with my puddles!! :( in foot wells

Hi All,

Just got myself a Laurin Klement estate, and very disappointing to find actual puddles in the drivers front/rear foot wells. I have searched the forums,  and i think located my leak. The rear door weather srtip is allowing lots water into the door, and the door has no membrane. 

Couple of questions though :)

The weather strip  is allowing lots of water into the door as i cannot get it to press against the window... I have bought a new 1 from Skoda, fitted it and still if you pour water on the window it goes straight into the door. All the other doors the weather strip is pressed hard against the window which stops majority of the water entering the door. This is a problem as all the rain water is going straight into the door, andsoaking all the mechanisms. The central locking at the moment is stuck locked on the door due to this. 

The other thing is what is the best way to replace the membrane? all tapes I have used just come off after days in cold weather. 

I am at the point where I am considering sealing the weather strip with silicone and disconnecting the window motor :( 

Any ideas will be appreciated 

This is my 8th MK1 and I am starting to fall out with it!! 

Thanks, 

The best option is to get the door open, remove the outer weather strip drop down the glass and try gently with pliers or mole grips to bend the metal towards the glass so it sits tighter to it. Or depending on colour of your car maybe a second hand door (that’s a bit extreme though). 

The best way to seal the membrane to the door would be silicone sealant, or tiger seal. 

Are you sure its coming in via the doors ? as my L&K estate it was from the passenger side front sunroof drain had come completely off but was acting as a guide and the water was coming down the A pillar and out at the bottom of the kick panel in the passenger s footwell

Opening the door without doing excessive damage - as per my post here -

Its not that bad a job to swap locks. I bet if you do that and replace the membrane with some good thick gauge plastic a lot of your problems will vanish.

Im not surprised you have a fair bit of water running through thats pretty typical ,but it is possible the window glass is out of alignment a touch, not letting it seal as much as it should?

Thanks for the reply's

Today I have got the door open... I forced the door card off and put power to the wires for the motor, this unlocked the door. Anyone else with this issue it is the Grey & Yellow wires, cut them and put 12v to them :) motor activated and unlocked the door.

WIth the leak I am going to try and seal it with a sealant gun, disconnect the window & central locking in that door. It is not used very often anyway, the window is not used at all. I give up trying to stop it leaking, and at the moment I dont have the time :( I may give it another go in the summer.

I bought the car weeks ago, so far I have: Mr Muscle turbo, replaced alternator + alternator wiring, replaced rear caliper,  & these leaks/door sticking shut.  Luckily I have a 2003 Elegance I am stripping for spares so been able to get the parts for nothing. 

Next problem is the switch in the drivers door :( assuming the leak is fixed ill start with that next. 

22 hours ago, cyber_killer said:

Thanks for the reply's

Today I have got the door open... I forced the door card off and put power to the wires for the motor, this unlocked the door. Anyone else with this issue it is the Grey & Yellow wires, cut them and put 12v to them :) motor activated and unlocked the door.

WIth the leak I am going to try and seal it with a sealant gun, disconnect the window & central locking in that door. It is not used very often anyway, the window is not used at all. I give up trying to stop it leaking, and at the moment I dont have the time :( I may give it another go in the summer.

I bought the car weeks ago, so far I have: Mr Muscle turbo, replaced alternator + alternator wiring, replaced rear caliper,  & these leaks/door sticking shut.  Luckily I have a 2003 Elegance I am stripping for spares so been able to get the parts for nothing. 

Next problem is the switch in the drivers door :( assuming the leak is fixed ill start with that next. 

Check the wiring between door and car in the rubber boot as they have a habit of snapping. 

The leak... I've not gone back and read the full thread/posts just now, but personally I'd be surprised if water ingress from the side window area would be bad enough to form a lake in the footwells. That said - I could be entirely wrong. 

Been running Mk4 Golfs as regular transport for yonks, and also have a Mk1 Oct RS that we've been using for the past 3.5 yr's as the shopping motor. 

One thing I did have on a Mk4 Golf a few yr's back, was a lot of water coming in and onto the drivers side front footwell. Masses in fact. So much so that it took some working out, and by the time I'd sussed it out there were mushrooms growing out of the rear drivers side mat.

The simple prob/fix was down to the drivers side sunroof drain. The bung/grommet in the A pillar, which acts as the diverter, and is where the pipe from the roof goes, to then let the water out into the door shut/upper sill area - was missing. Consequently, the pipe from the sunroof was just hanging inside the hole in the A pillar, and all the water from the sunroof drain was running straight into the car. 

The grommet/bung was found inside the glovebox... Problaymo solved!!

Hope this is of some use : )